bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Paul Byrd gets busted for buying HGH

What timely reporting here.... Theres nothing like some jerkoff reporting breaking this news on the day of game 7 of the ALCS.

Report: Indians' Byrd bought nearly $25K of HGH

Paul Byrd, who pitched the Cleveland Indians to the brink of the World Series with a victory in Game 4 of the ALCS on Tuesday, bought nearly $25,000 worth of human growth hormone and syringes, according to a published report.

The San Francisco Chronicle reported Sunday that Byrd's purchase was from the Florida anti-aging clinic that was the focus of law enforcement for illegally distributing performance-enhancing drugs, according to business records.

The paper reported that the purchases were made via credit card from the Palm Beach Rejuvenation Center between August 2002 and January 2005. In that time frame, Byrd pitched for the Kansas City Royals, the Atlanta Braves and the Los Angeles Angels.

Byrd, who is 2-0 this postseason with a 3.60 ERA as a starter for Cleveland, did not comment after The Chronicle attempted to reach him through his agent via phone and e-mail. The Indians declined comment as well.

The paper said Byrd spent $24,850 to buy more than 1,000 vials of growth hormone as well as hundreds of syringes. The records reviewed by The Chronicle included such items as purchase and shipping orders, Byrd's birth date and his Social Security number. The source that provided the records said the orders placed were consistent with personal use of HGH.

During his 13-year career in which he has played for seven different teams, Byrd is 97-81 with a 4.35 ERA. This season, he started 31 games and had a 15-8 record with a 4.59 ERA.

curious
    curious's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by bigboydan View Post
    What timely reporting here.... Theres nothing like some jerkoff reporting breaking this news on the day of game 7 of the ALCS.
    Here is why I am getting sick of this kind of reporting. 1) HGH is not a drug. 2) HGH is not an illegal substance. 3) It is some sort of violation for a doctor to give out HGH without a prescription, I have read the ruling on this a dozen times, still do not understand it, BUT, it is not illegal to TAKE HGH, 4) Selling HGH is not illegal in florida.

What I particularly disliked was the reporter mentioning HGH in one sentence, then in the next sentence mentioning illegal drugs, giving the impression that HGH is an illegal drug....it isn't.

jon13009
    jon13009's Avatar Become A Pro!

HGH not a drug?

"A January 23rd, 2007 "Detention Without Physical Examination (DWPE) Alert" clearly states, perhaps more than ever before, that it is not only illegal to market, provide or distribute GH for anti-aging and athletic use, it is also illegal for doctors to prescribe it for these uses and for anyone to market it for these uses. Following, is the key text....Accordingly, FDA considers both imported HGH lyophilized powder products and liquid HGH products to be finished dosage form drugs, not APIs. Unless these products are the subject of approved new drug applications, they violate section 505 of the FDCA, 21 U.S.C. 355, and
    may not be legally imported into the U.S. [Perls: THEREFORE, IT IS ILLEGAL FOR PHARMACIES TO COMPOUND Growth Hormone FOR ANTI-AGING or ANY UNAPPROVED USE]: "

Source:
    http://www.antiagingquackery.com/ill...eyopinion.html

Problem: define "unapproved" use. If you are getting HGH from a doctor, the doctor better have a legit medical reason because the doctor is really risking their medical license if the doctor choses to do so. The doctor is probably in trouble already if he wants to give you a Rx for unapproved HGH use, and doesn't care about the potential consequences.

In other words, in taking HGH : Curious is basically correct - the doctor and the pharmacy are the ones taking the legal risk - not you. You (or the athlete in question) are just taking the potential health risks of taking HGH. Byrd did nothing legally wrong in obtaining HGH - otherwise he would be in jail for it, and the press continually fails to point out that MLB and their staff are the ones responsible for allowing HGH and similar types of substances proliferating the league by not taking harsh and specific actions against these types of substances during the so called "steriod era."

If the Feds really want to reduce this type of use, they would have to put it on the controlled substances list (likely schedule III or below).

Ultimately, if you chose to take HGH (for whatever reason), and a properly licensed doctor did not strongly advise you to do so, the reasons behind why you are taking it are probably on muddy grounds anyway.

-----------------
    I'm guessing that MLB wanted the the players to take performance enhancers to make MLB money. Once the tide turned, MLB is using the media to deflect where the real blame should be in the matter. I'm sure MLB loves this type of story because it makes the player the fall guy - not them.

Interesting side: If MLB knew (conducted studies...) of the potential health risks of taking HGH, and other types of performance enhancers, could a former MLB player sue MLB for not taking the proper steps to prevent its use (at that time) - and the use of those substances caused the player physical or mental harm?
    Last edited by jon13009; 10-21-07 at 01:38 PM.

JBC77
    JBC77's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 303

It wasn't illegal at the time. Whats the big deal?

jon13009

Press makes it look like HGH is illegal for you to use which it is not. (Not a FDA controlled sub.)

It is illegal for the Doc and Pharmacy to give it to you for "unapproved" useage.

MLB trying to pin it on the players by using the press to make the player look like a criminal when MLB is to blame for not stopping it in the past.

curious

The only reason that HGH is not an "approved" treatment is that the American Mafia Association (AMA) have not recieved any bribes, er I mean research grants, from pharmaceutical companies so that they will "approve" it. And why is that? Because HGH cannot be patented since it is a HUMAN hormone. HGH has beneficial effects on dozens of conditions. It is legal pretty much everywhere else.

Just because the American Mafia Association does not "approve" something does not make it ill advised.

curious

Quote Originally Posted by jon13009 View Post
    Press makes it look like HGH is illegal for you to use which it is not. (Not a FDA controlled sub.)

It is illegal for the Doc and Pharmacy to give it to you for "unapproved" useage.

MLB trying to pin it on the players by using the press to make the player look like a criminal when MLB is to blame for not stopping it in the past.
    This was my point. The way the press words the articles and almost always includes the word steroid somewhere in there, it leaves the reader with the impression that the player was using illegal drugs, steroids, and HGH which is illegal. It also gives the reader the impression that HGH has something to do with steroids, or maybe is a type of steroid.

paul Mordeeb
    paul Mordeeb's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 234

Breaking News:

" Players are using Legal Drugs that Help them heal after playing. MLB Bans some of the drugs. Players stop using them. We hope to get more names of players that were using Drugs that were legal but are now not. More on this story at the most odd times imaginable!!!"

jon13009

Quote Originally Posted by curious View Post
    The only reason that HGH is not an "approved" treatment is that the American Mafia Association (AMA) have not recieved any bribes, er I mean research grants, from pharmaceutical companies so that they will "approve" it. And why is that? Because HGH cannot be patented since it is a HUMAN hormone. HGH has beneficial effects on dozens of conditions. It is legal pretty much everywhere else.

Just because the American Mafia Association does not "approve" something does not make it ill advised.
    The FDA is the one who decides what drugs or treatments are approved for use in the US, not the AMA. It is the FDA's responsibility to test, categorize and approve medicines and treatments regarding their use to keep the public safe. If there is blame to go around regarding the medical community and HGH, the FDA is the one to blame here.

Also tylenol is a legal drug to use in the US, and found in all drug stores, but if you don't take it properly (follow what the label says, your doctor recommends.....) it could cause liver damage and kill you.

If you want to guess at what negative effects taking HGH at uncontrolled dosages - either to make your body stronger or try to make you look younger - can do to your body - go ahead and roll the dice, that is your right - until the FDA rules otherwise.
    Last edited by jon13009; 10-21-07 at 04:56 PM.

LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5179

No wonder his fastball was up to 68 MPH, about 19 MPH higher than usual.

tacomax
    SBR Problem Poster 2007-08
    tacomax's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1167

Quote Originally Posted by bigboydan View Post
    What goes around, comes around. I'm sure whoever reported this was unaware that Byrd was pitching. Just as I'm sure that the Indians were unaware that Beckett used to bone Danielle Peck.

BatemanPatrickl
    JayVegas420 Contest Winner
    BatemanPatrickl's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 129

Quote Originally Posted by tacomax View Post
    What goes around, comes around. I'm sure whoever reported this was unaware that Byrd was pitching. Just as I'm sure that the Indians were unaware that Beckett used to bone Danielle Peck.
    Byrd pitched game 7??? That's news to me and the rest of the world. So a sports reporter, who makes his/her income writing about sports, is not going to know when a pitcher is starting?

tacomax
    SBR Problem Poster 2007-08
    tacomax's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1167

Pitching in the ALCS (it would be a less of a story is he wasn't on the ALCS roster). I hope this explains things a little better for you.

BatemanPatrickl
    JayVegas420 Contest Winner
    BatemanPatrickl's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 129

Quote Originally Posted by tacomax View Post
    Pitching in the ALCS (it would be a less of a story is he wasn't on the ALCS roster). I hope this explains things a little better for you.
    The thread says the news was reported on the day of GAME 7; how would a sports reporter be "unaware" that Byrd was pitching. Tell me Taco, when was the last night you wagered on MLB?