bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Bye, Bye Andruw Jones

Reports are saying that the Braves let Andruw Jones walk.

I can't say I blame the Braves letting him go at all either. His numbers were just brutal this year, and with his age climbing up there, I have to wonder who would possibly pay him fair market value these days with his best years behind him.

Doc JS
    Doc JS's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

Dan,

Actually only his batting average was brutal - .222.

Andrew had:
    94 RBI good for third on the team (behind Jeff and Chipper)
    26 HR's good for second on the team (behind Chipper)

And he was still one of the premier defensive centerfielders in the National League.

As a Braves fan, I wish him the best of luck. But if I was running the Braves, there is no way in hell I'd pay Andrew 20 million a year. That money will be much better spent on getting Tex signed and on improving the rotation, which IMHO is Job #1 in the offseason.

mv09
    mv09's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2630

Im a huge braves fan as well and I have to disagree with you with him still being a premier defensive centerfielder. His defense really slipped this year.There had been talk between saberheads that he wasnt a good fielder, but I defended him.

I cant do taht anymore. His defensive was only slightly better than average this year. He killed so many rallies and refused to make adjustments.

I wish him the best, but Im kind of glad he's gone.

tacomax
    SBR Problem Poster 2007-08
    tacomax's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1167

Age climbing up? Jesus, the guys only frickin' 30. Time for A-Rod to pack it in, then.

tullamore
    tullamore's Avatar Become A Pro!

The argument the saberheads were making was his total amount of putouts has been decling, thus he is not the same player defensively, due to a loss of speed or just not tracking the ball like he used too.

moses millsap
    moses millsap's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1260

Seems like another lifetime when I think back when he was the phenom on the Braves during the mid 90s.

louisvillekid
    slummin it
    louisvillekid's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3822

i'm a huge braves fan also. i don't think age has reaaly slowed himdown. he just had a bad year and his defense suffered because of lingering injuries, and i think his hitting(avg.) suffered becuase of it also and maybe a mental block. when hitters start slumping, they start to over analyze everything and start listening to others around them and that can cause more problems. i think hes still a valuble player. NOT 20million, i don't think anyones worth 20million, but thats another story. i think A.Jones is still worth at least 10 million. now wether the Braves want to fork over the money for him is another story,cause there is no salary cap in baseball, its just how much your willing to pay. the Braves have always been good at developing young talent, wether in pitching or the field.

jonmic
    jonmic's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9062

I am a Braves fan and I'll be sad to see Andruw go, I still remember his first days against the yankees in the series. Hopefully he finds a decent team willing to pay him the money.

mv09

What really worried me was that Andruw injured his elbow during the season, had an x-ray which was negative, but refusedddd to get an MRI. There were rumors that he may require TJ surgery in the Atlanta Journal Constitution.
    Hes better than the .222 and the season overall he had, but I really didnt want him back. I would much rather have Teix and Glavine, for one last final run.

Doc JS
    Doc JS's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

Quote Originally Posted by mv09 View Post
    What really worried me was that Andruw injured his elbow during the season, had an x-ray which was negative, but refusedddd to get an MRI. There were rumors that he may require TJ surgery in the Atlanta Journal Constitution.
    Hes better than the .222 and the season overall he had, but I really didnt want him back. I would much rather have Teix and Glavine, for one last final run.
    To his credit, even though he had a number of injuries, Andrew was in the line-up pretty much every day which no doubt impacted his defense.

The thing that I was most disappointed in was that he didn't seem to try to make any adjustments at the plate. All summer long, Joe Simpson would talk about how Terry Pendleton wanted Andrew to go back up the middle/go the other way more. And all summer long, you saw Andrew just bail and wail. Pitch him up and in out of the zone to get ahead, put him away with breaking balls off the plate. And it appeared that he never made an adjustment.

mv09

Quote Originally Posted by Doc JS View Post
    To his credit, even though he had a number of injuries, Andrew was in the line-up pretty much every day which no doubt impacted his defense.

The thing that I was most disappointed in was that he didn't seem to try to make any adjustments at the plate. All summer long, Joe Simpson would talk about how Terry Pendleton wanted Andrew to go back up the middle/go the other way more. And all summer long, you saw Andrew just bail and wail. Pitch him up and in out of the zone to get ahead, put him away with breaking balls off the plate. And it appeared that he never made an adjustment.
    Exactly.
    He became so stubborn in his approach at the plate. He would stand so close to the front of the plate to try and catch the breaking ball before it would break, but he would always be fooled by it with 2 strikes.
    All Season Long Andruw was an easy out, so long you dont make a mistake. If you pitch outside early with an occational high fastball and breaking pitch with 2 strikes, you'd get him out everytime.

Rollins08
    Rollins08's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

He became just a slugger looking for homeruns, it seems like he fell in love with the long ball to me. Also I can't stand out he smirks when he makes an out. You never see him get angry.