the dodgers are signing anyone they can.

last year they were dumping salary, and this year there going nuts

Tomko agrees to $8.7 million, two-year deal with Dodgers

By KEN PETERS, AP Sports Writer
December 22, 2005

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- There were many reasons Brett Tomko wanted to sign with the Los Angeles Dodgers.

He grew up three miles from Dodger Stadium, he makes his home down the freeway in San Diego, and he has a bond with Los Angeles general manager Ned Colletti.

"He gave me a chance in San Francisco, to come there, when I didn't have a lot on the table," Tomko said Thursday after agreeing to an $8.7 million, two-year contract with Los Angeles. "Now it's good to come to Los Angeles and be a part of what he's trying to do."

Colletti was assistant general manager of the Giants when Tomko pitched for them the past two seasons.

"We think Brett is a huge plus," Colletti said. "He's been so durable, probably a 200-inning guy. Having starters who are durable gives us more options in the rotation, in the bullpen."

Tomko became the third former San Francisco player to switch to the rival Dodgers.

His deal calls for salaries of $3.6 million next year and $4.1 million in 2007. The Dodgers must decide within five days of the end of the 2007 World Series whether to exercise a $4.5 million option for 2008. If the option is exercised, Tomko has 72 hours to reject it. If the Dodgers decline or Tomko rejects, he gets a $1 million buyout.

The right-hander, who went 8-15 with a 4.48 ERA for the Giants last season, is the sixth free agent signed by Colletti, who became the Dodgers' GM on Nov. 15. Kenny Lofton and Bill Mueller are the other former Giants who recently joined the NL West rival Dodgers.

Tomko has an 81-73 record and 4.52 ERA in nine major league seasons. With a fastball consistently in the low 90-mph range, he has made at least 30 starts and pitched at least 190 innings each of the past four years.

"I think he pitches well with confidence, and I believe we have the right staff to bring out the best in him," Colletti said. "It's a matter of getting it all together. You never know, he may be at a point in his career where he's about to become more dominant."

Tomko pitched for Cincinnati, Seattle, San Diego and St. Louis before spending two years in San Francisco. He went 19-22 with a save and a 4.26 ERA in 65 games for the Giants.

He has been effective at Dodger Stadium, going 4-2 with a 2.93 ERA in 13 appearances. He remembers going to the ballpark as a young fan.

"We went to Dodger games, and I've just felt comfortable there. I think it's a confidence thing," he said. "When I was there sitting on the visitors' side, I would be thinking that this would be a place you could really enjoy."

Tomko figures to follow Derek Lowe, Brad Penny and Odalis Perez in Los Angeles' rotation. The Dodgers are seeking another starter.

Other players acquired by the Dodgers since Colletti became their GM are Nomar Garciaparra, Sandy Alomar Jr., and Rafael Furcal. Like Tomko, the other five free agents all have postseason experience.