EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

BoSox Choke Watch

9/17: 3.5 games ahead of NYY

Anyone think they full hack this lead up? It would be fun to watch just because of the history of the two teams obviously.

BOS @ TOR (2)
    @ TB (3)
    vs. OAK (2)
    vs. MIN (4)

NYY vs. BAL (2)
    vs. TOR (3)
    @TB (3)
    @BAL (3)

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

I would have to laugh if that happen. However, The Yankees do have an easier road down the stretch despite being 3.5 games back.

EaglesPhan36

Looks like you're going to be able to shave that down to 2.5 games here soon. Pretty sure that locker room in Beantown is starting to get nervous now.

pico
    USC ml
    pico's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1634

red sox lost again today ... and the yankees won again today (big time)

haha, i really want to see the yankees win the division.

rjt721
    rjt721's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 378

Comical that Francona brings in Gagne for the 8th in a 1-run game. I know Okajima's struggled a bit of late, but how about bringing in the guy who's been the best set-up man in baseball 98% of the year over a guy who's been a disaster since arriving in Boston?

Competence is too much to ask for with a Red Sox manager.

pico
    USC ml

i think boston is safe for the wild card. tigers is not going anywhere after the regular season.

wild card...division winners...they're all the same. for some reason, wild card teams tend to win the world series.

EaglesPhan36

I think it's a bigger deal for the Yankees to win the division because if I'm doing the math right, I think the AL WC would play the Angels whom the Yankees do not play well against.

pico
    USC ml

Quote Originally Posted by EaglesPhan36 View Post
    I think it's a bigger deal for the Yankees to win the division because if I'm doing the math right, I think the AL WC would play the Angels whom the Yankees do not play well against.
    i forgot how they do the post season schedule. is it best record plays the wild card unless they're in the same division? let's assume by end of the season, it is cleveland, yankees, red sox, and angels. with red sox has the best records, then angels, then clevland.

then the match up will be, angels vs yankess; red sox vs cleveland?

JBC77
    JBC77's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 303

For some reason, I think the Yanks have the Sox number this year. They have been getting written off, hated on, all year. They've been playing with some determination. Got some youth in the mix.....thats important.

Besides bullpen.....the only sure thing in that starting rotation is Beckett. The rest, just as hittable as the Yanks starters.

I don't expect to see the books offering me a decent series price on the Yanks when they meet.

tullamore
    tullamore's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by rjt721 View Post
    Comical that Francona brings in Gagne for the 8th in a 1-run game. I know Okajima's struggled a bit of late, but how about bringing in the guy who's been the best set-up man in baseball 98% of the year over a guy who's been a disaster since arriving in Boston?

Competence is too much to ask for with a Red Sox manager.
    Totally agree, Okajima did get lit up Friday, but certianly deserves to be pitching in these situations over Gagne, who has blown at least 4 games since coming to Boston. Gagne is a loss cause as far as I am concerned, the Sox dont have the time or enough of a divsional lead to try and let Gagne work out of this funk.

Stumpage
    Update your status
    Stumpage's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13676

Gagne's so brutal right now I think I could get a hit off him (If he was actually able to put one in the strike zone).....Ok, maybe a bunt single, but still...He's lost in space right now.....

Seattle Slew
    Seattle Slew's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9450

Francona is an idiot for letting Gagne self destruct like that and not have anybody in the bullpen warming up as it unfolded.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpage View Post
    Gagne's so brutal right now I think I could get a hit off him (If he was actually able to put one in the strike zone).....Ok, maybe a bunt single, but still...He's lost in space right now.....

moses millsap
    moses millsap's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1260

Quote Originally Posted by Seattle Slew View Post
    Francona is an idiot for letting Gagne self destruct like that and not have anybody in the bullpen warming up as it unfolded.
    Papelbon was ready in the pen after Gagne walked the bases loaded if I remember correctly. Regardless, at some point in that 8th inning, Papelbon was standing in the bullpen ready to come in.

rjt721
    rjt721's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 378

Quote Originally Posted by tullamore View Post
    Totally agree, Okajima did get lit up Friday, but certianly deserves to be pitching in these situations over Gagne, who has blown at least 4 games since coming to Boston.
    Absolutely. I mean, Okajima has been hit hard twice in the last two weeks, but both outings were against the Yankees, so I'd hardly say his recent trouble is indicative of how he'll fare in the future. Even Delcarmen would have been a better option than Gagne.

Quote Originally Posted by tullamore View Post
    Gagne is a loss cause as far as I am concerned, the Sox dont have the time or enough of a divsional lead to try and let Gagne work out of this funk.
    I think, and this is purely speculation on my part, that trying to get Gagne in there in a tight game to get his confidence up heading into the playoffs was Francona's main reasoning for putting him in tonight, which is completely ridiculous given that the Yanks are within striking distance in the division and fresh off taking 2/3 over the weekend. If you have a 6 or 7-game lead, fine, but this move could potentially cost them the AL East.

Oh well, at least Buchholz is pitching tomorrow, so the Sox will salvage one game in the series.

biggamer3
    biggamer3's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3802

AL east or not, the Yanks have by far the best team right now

they will easily get the title this year

EaglesPhan36

This is gloriously delicious. Even though it wouldn't make up for losing that ALCS a few years back, I bet Yanks fans would talk about this one for a generation if they complete the job.

9/19: 1.5 games ahead of NYY

pico
    USC ml

i know. isn't this great. yankees has a chance to win the division...i guess their odds of winning is not that bad. i'd say +200 to win the division.(my odds...have not check the book's odds)

BatemanPatrickl
    JayVegas420 Contest Winner
    BatemanPatrickl's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 129

The bullpen is really hurting Boston. I don't want the Yankees to win but it may happen.