Bshark
    Bshark's Avatar Become A Pro!

Accepting Chalk

I struggle with this. How much is too much? Do you set a rule for yourself on the chalk level you will accept?

Also, do you quit a a certain profit/loss level for the day? I always find myself geeting greedy or wanting to recoop losses. For example, last night I was up 3-1, but went for that extra score with the Rockies, and ended up 3-2.

I'm slowly realizing betting is all about internal rules (# games/day, chalk level, profit level, sticking to one of ML, O/U, RL, or whatevever, etc). The hard part is having the dicipline to stick to those internal rules.

B

bradleysnyder
    bradleysnyder's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 501

my best advice to this is.....USE BIG CHALK LINES FOR JUICE IN A PARLAY.....EXAMPLE,LAST NIGHT THE PADRES WERE -230.THERE IS NO WAY ANYONE IN THERE RIGHT MIND SHOULD LAY THAT KIND OF CHALK ON BASEBALL.

I ALSO LIKED THE INDIANS LAST NIGHT.THEREFORE INSTEAD OF BETTING 230 TO WIN 100 OR 125 TO WIN 100 ON THE INDIANS I JUST BET $300 TO WIN $474..ALL THAT PADRES PLAY DID IS JUICE MY 300 TO WIN 225 ON THE INDIANS AND MADE IT 300 TO WIN 474 WHICH IS A LOT MORE MONEY.ONLY USE HIGH CHALKS FOR JUICE.THATS MY ADVICE

WestsidePete
    WestsidePete's Avatar Become A Pro!

discipline gets me as well...that extra game I add for no reason because it just looks good usually losses then I'm pissed I did it....I don't actually feel any chalk is too high...for those, I do more parlays and RL to get more out of them. I actually stayed the course yesterday and did well.

AC1318
    AC1318's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 60

Quote Originally Posted by Bshark View Post
    I struggle with this. How much is too much? Do you set a rule for yourself on the chalk level you will accept?

Also, do you quit a a certain profit/loss level for the day? I always find myself geeting greedy or wanting to recoop losses. For example, last night I was up 3-1, but went for that extra score with the Rockies, and ended up 3-2.

I'm slowly realizing betting is all about internal rules (# games/day, chalk level, profit level, sticking to one of ML, O/U, RL, or whatevever, etc). The hard part is having the dicipline to stick to those internal rules.

B
    refer to your signature

ShowMeDaMoney
    ShowMeDaMoney's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 746

I personally do not enjoy laying anything over -130 or -140... it just isn't worth it in the end. I like Bradley's idea of throwing it in with another pick of yours that you like... but parlays are also shunned upon by alot of cappers. Us gamblers however, love em! =)

I am guilty of the, "oh let's try to make up for losses or win more on this late game even though I had no gut feeling about it..." syndrome. In fact, I went on a huge run several months ago and started making plays like that at the end of the day to try to make more...so I pulled the plug on myself because I could feel myself slipping. Withdrew all my cash and did not deposit again until yesterday. So far, so good... haven't done it.

Bshark
    Bshark's Avatar Become A Pro!

Thx Guys.

AC1318
    AC1318's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 60

many people claim 150 to be the number

I say it is what ever you are comfortable with both the play and money

pokernut9999
    pokernut9999's Avatar Become A Pro!

From my experience adding late games because your up or down has never worked for me. If you did not like it early there was a reason.

Heavy chalk like -200 and above I either parlay or use RL's.
    I think the best play on most heavy chalk is the under when a dominating pitcher is going. Clemens in Houston was always big chalk and games were like 80% unders. Peavy and Young this year are the same way. Heavy chalk and low scoring games.

LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5179

Bshark,

Two Points:

1 - Personally, I never lay more than -125 on ANYTHING, but that is just me. Some say that is ridiculously low, but so be it. I personaly feel it is impossible to find an edge on a favorite bigger than that that would be significant enough for me to make a play on it. VALUE always lies with underdogs and some small favorites, as well as with UNDERS and a few +odds Overs. I never lay ANYTHING on an OVER, must be +100 or more for me to even consider one.

2 - Once I make all my plays for a day, I NEVER add any later plays unless it is because of a severe line move or a late injury. NEVER add plays to either chase losses or go for a big score after winning your earlier plays.