tacomax
    SBR Problem Poster 2007-08
    tacomax's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1167

BONDSWATCH - 15th August 2007

Another record broken.

ATLANTA -- The Giants' futility morphed into anger and pain with Wednesday night's 6-3 loss to the Atlanta Braves.

The umpiring in this series, which has dismayed both teams, particularly galled the Giants as they tumbled to their sixth loss in seven games, despite Barry Bonds' 759th career home run. First baseman Ryan Klesko was ejected in the fourth inning after taking a third strike. Manager Bruce Bochy was thumbed one inning later for protesting a called strike on Rajai Davis.

These incidents occurred after Atlanta manager Bobby Cox received his 133rd career ejection in the third inning, extending his record. Obviously, such confrontations are commonplace for Cox. So are the Giants' woes, which is why a rancor-filled game like this one was inevitable.

In explaining his ejection, Bochy might as well have been referring to the Giants' mounting defeats. "No doubt in my mind, enough's enough," he said. "There's frustration, sure -- the way the games have gone, you've lost your first baseman and then that pitch. We're all frustrated."

The Giants began encountering misfortune during batting practice, when right-hander Randy Messenger was struck on his left hand by a line drive. According to Bochy, X-rays showed that Messenger broke his fifth metacarpal, forcing him onto the 15-day disabled list. Bochy said that left-hander Patrick Misch likely will be recalled from Triple-A Fresno to replace Messenger.

The evening's centerpiece, so to speak, was Klesko's colorful heave-ho. Interestingly, Klesko restrained from arguing during Tuesday's ninth inning, when first-base umpire Mark Carlson called Kelly Johnson safe, which helped Atlanta's winning rally. Klesko, covering the bag on that play, complained about the umpiring to reporters afterward but did so calmly.

Klesko wasn't available for comment after Wednesday's game, but his actions said it all. Plainly disagreeing with Carlson, who happened to be behind the plate, Klesko strode from the batter's box and flipped his bat toward the dugout, then his helmet. Upon receiving his ejection, Klesko's fury escalated -- partly, as teammates explained, because Atlanta's Chipper Jones wasn't tossed for disdainfully flipping away his bat Tuesday.

Coaches Tim Flannery, Ron Wotus and Joe Lefebvre struggled to restrain the 6-foot-3, 220-pound Klesko from approaching Carlson. Ted Barrett, Tuesday's plate umpire, came from third base to try to help restore order, which only seemed to enrage Klesko further.

It finally took none other than Bonds to clamber out of the dugout, wrap his big left arm around Klesko and force him down the steps.

"He's not as strong as I am, brother," Bonds said. "Not close."

Jones recalled similar histrionics when Klesko played for the Braves.

"The man never thinks he should make an out," Jones said playfully. "I've seen him when he's torn apart some dugouts. It was probably a little of a carryover from last night."

Everybody maintained control afterward, particularly Tim Hudson (14-5). The Braves starter won his eighth consecutive decision by lasting eight innings, although Bonds' drive to christen the sixth inning ended the right-hander's streak of 66 homerless innings in a row.

"He's always been a good pitcher," Bonds said of Hudson, off whom he has hit five homers. "He was a good pitcher in Oakland and he's a good pitcher here."

Bonds' homer tied the score, 2-2, but for the second straight night, the Braves scored four runs in the sixth to settle matters.

Giants starter Russ Ortiz (2-3) walked Mark Teixeira and hit Brian McCann with a pitch to open the inning. In came Scott Atchison, who yielded Jeff Francoeur's first-pitch single that loaded the bases. Atchison flung a wild pitch with his next delivery, scoring Teixeira. Two pitches later, Andruw Jones lined a two-run double. After Hudson stroked his second single of the game, Willie Harris lofted a sacrifice fly.

The Giants threatened in the ninth against Braves closer Bob Wickman with two on and one out, but Andruw Jones caught pinch-hitter Bengie Molina's bid for a tying home run a step in front of the wall.

"I thought he got enough of it," Bochy said.

Given the way this season has gone for the Giants, Bochy should have known better.

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

Like the majority of americans I could care less, but it's good to see you again taco.

Hey taco, while I got your attention who do you think Bonds plays for next year while persuing 3000 hits?

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

You just had to keep this damn "Bonds watch" crap going didn't ya. I think ya just do it to piss me off.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4663

Thanks for the update Taco.

tacomax

Quote Originally Posted by Illusion View Post
    Like the majority of americans I could care less, but it's good to see you again taco.

Quote Originally Posted by Illusion View Post
    Hey taco, while I got your attention who do you think Bonds plays for next year while persuing 3000 hits?
    I've no idea. The Bonds factor puts bums on seats in San Fran while the team as a whole sinks deeper and deeper so for that reason they might want to offer him a contract for next year at the expense of strengthening their team for the long term. Either that or just about any AL team should snap him up as a DH.

tacomax

Quote Originally Posted by bigboydan View Post
    I think ya just do it to piss me off.
    Me? Try and piss anyone off? Perish the thought!

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by tacomax View Post
    Me? Try and piss anyone off? Perish the thought!
    Yes you Taco

tobbilla78
    tobbilla78's Avatar Become A Pro!

Thanks for the update.Is then any website where from i could get more update.I want to coach myself.
    Last edited by Willie Bee; 08-20-07 at 08:34 AM.