rjt721
    rjt721's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 378

5 Friday plays

1-0 Thursday.

2* Red Sox/Orioles UNDER 8.5 -120: Erik Bedard's been the best pitcher in baseball the last month. He's 6-0 in his last 6 starts with a 1.29 ERA, and he's given up only 27 H, while striking out 58, in his last 41.2 IP. Bedard allowed only 2 H and 2 R ten days ago against the Sox at Fenway in a game in which he didn't have anywhere near his best stuff. Matsuzaka's also been pitching well of late, allowing only 4 R in his last three starts, all against offenses that are superior to Baltimore's.

1* Orioles +100: Can't pass up Bedard at this price. If not for the O's woeful bullpen, this would be a bigger play.

1* Blue Jays/Royals UNDER 9 +105: Shaun Marcum's quietly becoming one of the better pitcher's in the AL. He has 12 quality starts in his 16 games started, and he's gone at least 6 innings in 14 of his 16 outings, including 10 of the last 11. He's also 6th in the AL in WHIP (1.12), ahead of the likes of Beckett, Verlander, Sabathia, Halladay and Matsuzaka. Gil Meche has been solid most of the year, and although he's been knocked around by the Yankees twice in the last two weeks, the Jays' offense doesn't pose the same threat, particularly on the road, where they're hitting only .257.

1* Astros -108: Two teams headed in opposite directions. I think the line's this close largely because of Jason Jennings' historically bad outing against SD two weeks ago, but I look at that outing as nothing more than an aberration. Jennings has been a respectable pitcher for several years, all while pitching half of his games at Coors during his time with the Rockies. The Brewers are a young team that doesn't play well on the road, and Dave Bush has never had success pitching on the road in his career.

1* Braves +140: Cole Hamels is a fine young pitcher, but he's not significantly superior to Chuck James to the point where he justifies being this big of a fav. against a better team and a significantly better bullpen, particularly without Utley in the lineup. James, a very good pitcher in his own right, is more than capable of matching Hamels, at which point Atlanta will have a distinct advantage in the late innings when the bullpens become involved.

Good luck everyone.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

I'm with you on the Braves tonight RJT.

BOL with your plays tonight

rjt721

Thanks BBD. Good luck to you.

BatemanPatrickl
    JayVegas420 Contest Winner
    BatemanPatrickl's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 129

Let's GO BRAVES!!!

EJandV
    EJandV's Avatar Become A Pro!

Cole Hamels is to me one of the best that ever did it . A future hall of famer all day .

rjt721

Quote Originally Posted by BatemanPatrickl View Post
    Let's GO BRAVES!!!
    Word.

Quote Originally Posted by EJandV View Post
    Cole Hamels is to me one of the best that ever did it . A future hall of famer all day .
    He's very good, but you're getting a little ahead of yourself with that statement. Good luck tonight.

Negataur
    Negataur's Avatar Become A Pro!

Like the under in BAL as well, and ATL.

Going with MIL tonight.

GL.

pokernut9999
    pokernut9999's Avatar Become A Pro!

like all your picks GL

rjt721

Adding:

1* Rockies Team Total OVER 5.5 +105: Jason Marquis has really struggled since a strong start to the season. He has a 7.71 ERA in his last six starts, and in that span he's allowed 6 runs apiece to some of the weaker offensive teams in the NL - STL, HOU, PIT. Colorado's averaging 8 runs/game in their last 16 at Coors, and they've been held under 6 runs only 4 times in that stretch.

The HG
    The HG's Avatar Become A Pro!

You picked some inetersting games.

First off, I like the over in Bal/Bos, although I took it at 8. Bedard is great no doubt, but he's not superman, and this game is just likely to be pushing the over no matter what happens. And when the starters come out, you could see one late inning with both teams combining to score 5 or 6 runs. And if either starter falters, the over will be almost a lock. I like the over in that one.

I also like Boston, although less so than the over. Dice K could easily match Bedard if Bedard is going great, and Boston should have a major edge when the bullpens are involved. I like Boston here.

I agree with you on Atl, but they have a crappy bullpen themselves. What advantage are you seeing? I agree they are the right side though, but I'm taking them with the plus RL. Yes its a lot of extra juice, but it adds extra value IMO. If this game goes to extra innings, or is tied late, which is very possible, the difference in value on Atl with the ML and the plus RL is huge.

EJandV
    EJandV's Avatar Become A Pro!

Name a future lefty hall of famer then ? Hamels is 23 ? What will happen to him ? He wont get better ? He pitches in a silly hitters ballpark for one thing which only shows that he is being duped by his actual #s . I think he's as good as any other pitcher in baseball and will only get better . The barring no inj is obvious , what factor or factors would make you think he wont be a hall of famer , if you have seen him pitch alot and know about him ? Feedback ?
    Last edited by EJandV; 08-10-07 at 07:37 PM. Reason: ***

rjt721

Quote Originally Posted by rjt721 View Post
    2* Red Sox/Orioles UNDER 8.5 -120: Erik Bedard's been the best pitcher in baseball the last month. He's 6-0 in his last 6 starts with a 1.29 ERA, and he's given up only 27 H, while striking out 58, in his last 41.2 IP. Bedard allowed only 2 H and 2 R ten days ago against the Sox at Fenway in a game in which he didn't have anywhere near his best stuff. Matsuzaka's also been pitching well of late, allowing only 4 R in his last three starts, all against offenses that are superior to Baltimore's.
    Brutal. 1-0 w/ 2 outs in the 8th. Now 5-4. Unreal.

F*ckin ump screwed Bedard in this game.