AC1318
    AC1318's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 60

I see many people on blue jays today

does the record of towers being 1-7 vs NYY not matter to anyone

just curious, I may not play the game but if I do it will be NYY

even though towers has been pitching well and blue jays 16-8 vs LHP 1-7 should still count for something or a no play
    Last edited by AC1318; 07-16-07 at 01:31 PM.

The HG
    The HG's Avatar Become A Pro!

I am one of the people who likes Toronto, but it's just a value play. I do think the Yankees should be favored, but only by a small amount.

Towers is very shaky of course, but so is Igawa. The Yanks have a good lineup, but Toronto's is fine as well. And Toronto probably has a bullpen edge.

If Igawa is off, Toronto's lineup will be fine for taking advantage. I don't think anyone is happy to have Towers starting, but I think it's just that we all think this game will be very unpredictable, and getting Toronto as a sizable underdog has value.

EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

I still like the over the best in this game.

AC1318

Quote Originally Posted by EaglesPhan36 View Post
    I still like the over the best in this game.
    EP how you been I havn't seen you, hope all is good.

BatemanPatrickl
    JayVegas420 Contest Winner
    BatemanPatrickl's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 129

I didn't touch this pick. Good luck to all who played.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

I'm on Toronto tonight myself guys.

LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5179

Quote Originally Posted by AC1318 View Post
    AC,

I noticed you put a lot of emphasis on a pitcher's won/lost record vs. the opposing team. Personally, I think that is usually a meaningless statistic that should not even be factored into a selection, unless the domination all came this season and the pitcher has the ERA and WHIP to support the dominance.

The reason I disragard it is twofold:

1 - Many times, the pitcher's record vs. a team was accumulated over many years. WIth the large turnover in MLB rosters these days, pitcher vs. team stats from as little as two years ago have become meaningless.

2 - The W/L record itself is one of the worst stats you can use to gauge a pitcher's ability. His WHIP and ERA are far more important from a betting viewpoint than his basic W/L record.

BatemanPatrickl
    JayVegas420 Contest Winner
    BatemanPatrickl's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 129

Quote Originally Posted by bigboydan View Post
    I'm on Toronto tonight myself guys.
    I will be rooting for you BBD. Good luck sir and have a great night.

Razz
    Razz's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by LT Profits View Post
    AC,

I noticed you put a lot of emphasis on a pitcher's won/lost record vs. the opposing team. Personally, I think that is usually a meaningless statistic that should not even be factored into a selection, unless the domination all came this season and the pitcher has the ERA and WHIP to support the dominance.

1 - Many times, the pitcher's record vs. a team was accumulated over many years. WIth the large turnover in MLB rosters these days, pitcher vs. team stats from as little as two years ago have become meaningless.

2 - The W/L record itself is one of the worst stats you can use to gauge a pitcher's ability. His WHIP and ERA are far more important from a betting viewpoint than his basic W/L record.
    Generally agree, but in this case it applies. NYY numbers vs. Towers:

Cabrera 2-3, .667, 2B
    Cano 4-11, .364, 2B, HR
    Damon 9-24, .375, 2B, 2 HR
    Jeter 12-32, .375, 3 2B, HR
    Matsui 4-19, .211, 3 2B
    Jorge 6-20, .300, 2 2B, HR
    A-Rod 4-23, .174, 2 HR

Everyone except A-Rod and Matsui have hit him hard, and five of their eight hits were for extra bases. I think the Jays have to score a lot to win tonight. Of course, they probably will.

LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5179

Razz,

Right, so his ERA and WHIP vs. the Yankees are horrible. I would use those number to support a play on the Yankees (i.e., against Towers), rather than his 1-7 record por se. Personally I still like the Jays because I don't think Igawa should rightfully be this big a favorite.

AC1318

Quote Originally Posted by LT Profits View Post
    AC,

LT I look at the basics in making my selections and yes starting with the the win loss records is part of it as well as win loss records home or away then I look at era whip and innings pitched last three games then the bats of the team hitting or not. In case you haven't noticed it works for me. I do feel that some times pitchers are flat out poor vs certain teams but I hope you win your bet. As all the games were only leans and the one team I said I would bet won 4-0.

AC1318

Quote Originally Posted by AC1318 View Post

just curious, I may not play the game but if I do it will be NYY

even though towers has been pitching well and blue jays 16-8 vs LHP 1-7 should still count for something or a no play
    maybe better to take toronto tuesday
    Last edited by AC1318; 07-16-07 at 09:52 PM.

JBC77
    JBC77's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 303

The under took a lot of victims in this game as well.

moses millsap
    moses millsap's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1260

Mo was extremely clutch for me there in the 9th