onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4663

Albert Pujols?

Why not use him in that 9th Tony?

I know I just made a thread about Aaron Rowand and his cousin James Shields, but come on. Put Pujols in with the bases loaded, or even with runners on 1st and 2nd.

djeffectz
    djeffectz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1802

I guess Tony was afraid Pujols would get hurt, I figure Pujols did do the Home run derby, he might be tired....

EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

One of the all-time bone head managerial moves in my estimation. You've got one of the top 3 most feared hitters in the league and you leave him sitting on the bench.

AC1318
    AC1318's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 60

perhaps he played the under but is yet to be caught like rose

how was that for flirting with the over in the bottom of the ninth not to mention the NL win
    Last edited by AC1318; 07-10-07 at 11:44 PM.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Pujols is really upset about Larussa's decision not putting him in there, and he sounded off about it too. I can't say I blame him either.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

I told ya he let'um have it

Pujols irked about getting left on All-Star bench by La Russa

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) -- Albert Pujols was angry about being left on the All-Star bench and the St. Louis slugger took aim at the National League manager -- who just happened to be Tony La Russa of his own Cardinals.

"It's the All-Star game. He can do what he wants," Pujols said Tuesday night. "He does whatever he wants. If I wasn't expecting to play, I wouldn't have come up here."

Pujols, the NL MVP in 2005 and key to the Cardinals' win in the World Series last year, said La Russa didn't talk to him the entire game.

Pujols could only watch when Aaron Rowand flied out with the bases loaded to end the American League's 5-4 win.

"If he wants to get upset, he can get upset," La Russa said. "Whatever he wants to do, he can do. It's America. That wasn't the most important thing tonight."

With the 32-man rosters, it's not uncommon for few players to be left out. The AL used 27 players, while the NL used 28.

Pujols and Texas shortstop Michael Young -- last year's All-Star game MVP -- were the only position players who didn't get into the game. Ever since the 2002 event ended in an extra-innings tie, managers have tended to hold a hitter back just in case.

La Russa said he indeed was saving his star player in case the game went long.

"Once we lost (Miguel) Cabrera and (Freddy) Sanchez, he was the guy we were going to use to protect ourselves in case we kept playing because of Albert's versatility," La Russa said. "I think we had the right guy at bat."

A six-time All-Star, Pujols finished about 770,000 votes behind starting first baseman Prince Fielder. He played left field regularly in 2002 and '03 and also saw time at third base in 2001 and '02.

Pujols said he was getting his body loose the whole night.

"I was ready to go since the game started," Pujols said.

Pujols is mired in a career-worst home run slump -- 22 games and a career-worst 74 at-bats. He is tied with Chris Duncan for the team lead with 16 homers and his last homer was off Kansas City's Jimmy Gobble on June 14.

djeffectz
    djeffectz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1802

yeah, thats why u should let the manager with the best record at the half to coach the team...

Willie Bee
    Willie Bee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 305

I could almost see it if Rowand hadn't had an AB in the game yet. But that wasn't the case. Like EP said, one of the game's most-feared hitters, and a dandy clutch hitter at that, left on the bench by a manager who was 'saving' him for possible extra innings? La Genius turns La Dummy with that logic.

Negataur
    Negataur's Avatar Become A Pro!

Maybe Tony was still drunk from Happy Hour, and forgot about Big Al.

Glad he didn't. Saved my under play.

moses millsap
    moses millsap's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1260

He's friends with Leyland. He knows his team has little to no chance of making it to the WS.

Razz
    Razz's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by djeffectz View Post
    yeah, thats why u should let the manager with the best record at the half to coach the team...
    Yes sir.

EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

I wonder where this animosity came from between these two. I hadn't heard a peep and now it's like a husband and wife headed for divorce. No doubt in my mind that Pujols wins this when push comes to shove and LaRussa is history in St.Louis. That could be a losing streak away in the 2nd half.

5teamparlay
    WINNING!!!
    5teamparlay's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1223

4/22/2012:

Albert Pujols was 0 for 4 with two strikeouts and remained homerless in his 16 games and 65 at-bats, the longest drought from the start of a season in his 12-year career. He started as the designated hitter for the first time since joining the Angels.

hydrosmak
    Update your status
    hydrosmak's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 471

5TeamParlay must be going for the longest streak of bumping the oldest most inconsequential threads ever.