StLouisCards
    StLouisCards's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 476

My Article Today

Pomeranz and Severino To Keep Scoring Low Between Yankees and Red Sox

Oddsmakers have set a fair total considering the talent in both teams' lineups. But a number of factors suggests that there is value in betting the ‚under‘ between the Yanks and Red Sox.

Game 1 was a thriller. The Yanks could do nothing until the 8th inning, where they plated 5 runs and escaped with a 5-4 win over their rivals Boston. Except against Toronto starter Nick Tepesch, whose career ERA is close to 5, the Yanks have scored in their past 5 games only 2 runs in the first 5 innings. They’ll look to start strongly against Red Sox starter Drew Pomeranz, who is 1-0 with a 4.09 ERA in 2 starts this season against the Yankees. In order to do so, they’ll look especially to Gary Sanchez, who is 4-for-10 (.400) with 2 home runs in his career vs Pomeranz, and Didi Gregorious, who is 6-for-14 (.429) with a home run in his career vs Pomeranz. The Yanks counter with Luis Severino, who has allowed 1 run in 14 innings pitched vs Boston this season. For Boston, Dustin Pedroia and Andrew Benintendi have done the most damage against Severino. Pedroia is 3-for-9 (.333) lifetime with 2 doubles and a home run, and Benintendi is 4-for-8 (.500) with a double against Severino. The next best Boston hitter is batting just .214 lifetime against Severino. The Red Sox lost their 8-game win streak last night, but will look to maintain their 3.5 game lead in the AL East over the Yankees.

Luis Severino (9-4 2.91 ERA) is enjoying a breakout season as the Yankees’ starting pitcher. His ERA is down from 5.83 last season. He is striking out batters at a higher rate while walking fewer and giving up less home runs. Small adjustments to his pitching have produced big changes in his numbers. He upped the velocity of his fastball—even more, so that it averages 97.5 mph. But he dropped the velocity of his change by over 2 mph and that of his slider by almost 1 mph. As a result, he creates a more significant change of pace that does a better job of keeping hitters off-balance. When they are bracing for his heater, they must endure more surprise when a slower off-speed or breaking pitch approaches them. The change of velocity also enhances the perceived velocity of Severino’s fastball, in that it seems to attack them with more speed when it follows a slower pitch. He is allowing home runs at a lower rate because he is harder to hit and because less of his pitches are being launched into the air. Severino’s ground ball rate is up about 6% from last year. He is utilizing the lower quadrant of the strike zone more often. He is also doing so more effectively by enhancing the vertical movement of his change-up and slider. He has made those pitches more elusive in the way in which they drop out of the reach of the opponent’s bat and more difficult to „catch up“ with because of how they complement his fastball by changing pace. Severino has become a more difficult pitcher to hit and his efforts are paying off for him even in Yankee Stadium, where he has normally been worse than elsewhere. At home, he has given up just 1 run in his last 12 innings pitched. He will look to maintain his good form against the visiting Red Sox.

Drew Pomeranz (11-4 3.36 ERA) counters for Boston. Pomeranz has been steadily improving: his ERA was 4.15 in April but 2.72 in July. Pomeranz relies on a variety of pitches. His key has been to develop those pitches and figure out which ones are working best for him. He has consistently focused on placement—on varying the location of his pitches and placing them on the fringes of the strike zone, on changing pace with an 11 mph average differential in velocity between his fastball and change, and in the variety of movement which his different pitches possess. His most interesting pitch is his curveball. He likes to start hitters off with a fastball. But he can command his curveball well enough to get ahead of the count with it or even to catch up from behind in the count. His curve contains an amazing arc that teases batters who are unable to pick up its spin as it breezes past them. It effectively complements his fastball when he throws the latter up in the zone and then follows with a curveball that creates the illusion of landing up in the zone, only to cause batters to freeze or whiff when it breaks with significant vertical movement. Batters often have trouble discerning which pitch is approaching them and, given the difference in velocity and movement in each pitch, have trouble reacting. Pomeranz is also developing his sinker and cutter. He has thrown them more often while improving throughout the season. He induces more ground balls with them but also generates a high frequency of whiffs with his cutter, which seems to cut not as much or in the exact direction that batters expect, so that they are unable to track its movement or make decent, if any, contact with it. He deceives batters’ expectations with it by letting it start inside the strike zone and then tail away or start outside the strike zone and tail towards it. He uses his cutter to expand the strike zone, which creates a larger margin of error for his location of pitches. Pomeranz has already proven himself capable of shutting down the Yankees in New York and will look to keep improving his form in order to achieve his second win this season in Yankee Stadium.

The Verdict

Both starting pitchers are in strong form. But neither lineup inspires the same hope. After a sizzling first-half, the Yankees lineup is producing just a .699 OPS (on-base plus slugging; average is around .730) in 9 games in August. Their OPS vs lefties is only .07 higher on the season. The Red Sox are in stronger form but haven’t had success against Severino this year. Their greatest difficulty against Severino is with his velocity. The Red Sox have well below-average numbers against high-velocity pitches. Severino matches up well with the Red Sox and Pomeranz has an ERA of 1.50 or lower in 3 of his last 4 starts. A pitching duel is in store.

MLB Pick: First 5 ‚Under‘ 4.5
    Points Awarded:

nistohm gave StLouisCards 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

StLouisCards

I'm not a fan of Todd Frazier

OlDirtyBaztid
    OlDirtyBaztid's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5187

man wtf you get banned from covers for?! lmao!

2daBank
    2daBank's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 90

Quote Originally Posted by OlDirtyBaztid View Post
    man wtf you get banned from covers for?! lmao!
    Probably for providing intelligent reading! That kind of stuff is frowned upon over there! Lol

OlDirtyBaztid

Quote Originally Posted by 2daBank View Post
    Probably for providing intelligent reading! That kind of stuff is frowned upon over there! Lol
    dude, this guy had a solid system he was helping people with and htey through a FIT over this thing. and yes, you are right. any opinions and intelligent angles are 100% frowned upon. i keep getting my posts pulled when i ask about their click bait ads on my iphone. i asked about some fantasy football advice and that got pulled, too.place is too concerned about their own garbage cappers

2daBank

dude, this guy had a solid system he was helping people with and htey through a FIT over this thing. and yes, you are right. any opinions and intelligent angles are 100% frowned upon. i keep getting my posts pulled when i ask about their click bait ads on my iphone. i asked about some fantasy football advice and that got pulled, too.place is too concerned about their own garbage cappers
    I've never had any use for that forum. Bunch of clowns and wanna be touts but I've already told ya that.. CTG best for intelligent conversations but here more traffic and plenty of good guys, just gotta weed out the dickheads! Lol

OlDirtyBaztid

I've never had any use for that forum. Bunch of clowns and wanna be touts but I've already told ya that.. CTG best for intelligent conversations but here more traffic and plenty of good guys, just gotta weed out the dickheads! Lol
    there's a few very good cappers there and i do enjoy conversations with a select few, but you are right 100% right. the garbage outweighs the good and it's a bunch of wanna be internet bullies. what's ctg?

2daBank

there's a few very good cappers there and i do enjoy conversations with a select few, but you are right 100% right. the garbage outweighs the good and it's a bunch of wanna be internet bullies. what's ctg?
    Capping the game. Not as much traffic but good group of guys w very little tolerance for bs. Lot of sharp cats especially for college football and hoops!

OlDirtyBaztid

Capping the game. Not as much traffic but good group of guys w very little tolerance for bs. Lot of sharp cats especially for college football and hoops!
    good info. i'm going to check it out. i really enjoy this place for the intelligence and angles without the trash talk. thanks

2daBank

good info. i'm going to check it out. i really enjoy this place for the intelligence and angles without the trash talk. thanks
    No problem. They also have a "stalking the umpire" thread daily in baseball forum so makes getting ump easy! Lots of guys that take some different approaches which I always enjoy seeing others angles. You will enjoy it.

StLouisCards

Hey buddy! Thanks for stopping by. I have no idea why I got banned! I assume it's because I was posting a winning system. It's happened to other system guys too. When there's a profitable system then people won't want to buy covers' "expert" picks--but God I don't know who would want to buy their garbage! I think they created some trolls to attack me and chase me away because it seemed like I was always getting picked on. And they were really nasty with me last night. I'm going to ask a friend to make a post there expressing my good wishes to everybody...I liked posting there a lot because there was so much positive traffic, even if, like 2dabank says, there was also a lot oftrash.
    Ya the ctg guys are very smart and extremely nice. They make it a routine to wish each other good luck every night. They're very easy to talk with. Join us on ctg!
    Last edited by StLouisCards; 08-12-17 at 09:55 PM.

2daBank

You are Virginiacavs over at CTG correct?

StLouisCards

Yes

OlDirtyBaztid

Quote Originally Posted by StLouisCards View Post
    Hey buddy! Thanks for stopping by. I have no idea why I got banned! I assume it's because I was posting a winning system. It's happened to other system guys too. When there's a profitable system then people won't want to buy covers' "expert" picks--but God I don't know who would want to buy their garbage! I think they created some trolls to attack me and chase me away because it seemed like I was always getting picked on. And they were really nasty with me last night. I'm going to ask a friend to make a post there expressing my good wishes to everybody...I liked posting there a lot because there was so much positive traffic, even if, like 2dabank says, there was also a lot oftrash.
    Ya the ctg guys are very smart and extremely nice. They make it a routine to wish each other good luck every night. They're very easy to talk with. Join us on ctg!
    That's bs, man. Are you going to be posting those system plays anymore? They were starting to hit and I liked looking at them to support my own plays. Good to hear from ya

StLouisCards

Lol those jerks banned me again. This month with the system plays has been slow but still cashing! My guy will find another platform for the system.

OlDirtyBaztid

whatever. screw them. can you start a thread for it here?

koreatine
    koreatine's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 95

What's up ODB.

I can do that for you. I'm the creator.

OlDirtyBaztid

Quote Originally Posted by koreatine View Post
    What's up ODB.

I can do that for you. I'm the creator.
    i like that system and to be honest, i don't have the time of the day to do the math, nor do i really want to. my guy over here was very helpful in breaking down the lines and the measures to follow. i was simply seeing if there was someone interested in starting a thread like the one that was ostracized on covers. i don't need massive explanations, i understand how it works and everything. there's just not enough time in the day to calculate for me. thanks for the quick reply. i appreciate your work

koreatine
    koreatine's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 95

Done. It'll go up tomorrow pretty much identical to what you've seen on Covers.

Todays notable lines were the Rays and Giants

OlDirtyBaztid

Quote Originally Posted by koreatine View Post
    Done. It'll go up tomorrow pretty much identical to what you've seen on Covers.

Todays notable lines were the Rays and Giants
    thank you. that would be awesome! i think people would be a lot more appreciative of this angle here