Machine Choice
    Machine Choice's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2736

Nationals and Red Sox, a lesson in motivation today

Both teams were going for sweeps today against horrible opponents. And it looks like both teams will probably lose. Boston has already lost. In the case of the Nats, they were up against a Padres team that was 20-48 in their last 68 road games, and were averaging 2.6 runs per game vs righties in their last 10 games. In the case of the Red Sox, they were facing a pitcher who had given up 10 runs in his last start, and the Red Sox were outscoring the Mariners by almost 4 runs per game in their last 10 games.

So what happened? Neither team gave a flying phuck about their opponent, didn't take them seriously, and then lost. This should show us all NOT to eliminate the variable of MOTIVATION from our handicapping. If one team seems like an obvious winner, then they probably won't take the game seriously. This is an angle that I use big time in College Basketball, but it's equally important in baseball. Try to only bet on games where each team is equally motivated.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner
    No coincidences's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16541

Are you new to watching baseball? I'm assuming you are, judging by the comments in this post. You act like this is some sort of new, unusual development.
    Points Awarded:

omega gave No coincidences 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Machine Choice

Yes, I am new to watching baseball. This is my first season watching/betting. It's an interesting game.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner
    No coincidences's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16541

Quote Originally Posted by Machine Choice View Post
    Yes, I am new to watching baseball. This is my first season watching/betting. It's an interesting game.
    Let me just say this: be careful laying chalk. I'm not saying there isn't a time and place, but over the course of a 162-game season, you can't assume anything. Even the worst team is full of professionals, and even the best team loses 60-70 times a year.

omega
    omega's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2370

Priceless. I expected any answer but this.

StLouisCards
    StLouisCards's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 476

Quote Originally Posted by omega View Post
    Priceless. I expected any answer but this.

same lol

JerseyGodFather
    JerseyGodFather's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1588

Quote Originally Posted by No coincidences View Post
    Let me just say this: be careful laying chalk. I'm not saying there isn't a time and place, but over the course of a 162-game season, you can't assume anything. Even the worst team is full of professionals, and even the best team loses 60-70 times a year.
    This sums it up right here

PAULYPOKER
    I slipped Tricky Dick a hit of LSD!
    PAULYPOKER's Avatar Become A Pro!

Always bet against the sweep....

Sweeps are very difficult, even for the .600 and better teams...

BigDofBA
    BigDofBA's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2011

Padres seemed easy to me.

Red Sox weren't so obvious. They were on a nice winning streak. .

fecgp40
    fecgp40's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5185

Quote Originally Posted by PAULYPOKER View Post

This is why even though my brain said the Royals would win today, my gut was saying Indians. Took Royals anyway though with Duffy vs. Tomlin. Smh.

Machine Choice

Quote Originally Posted by No coincidences View Post
    Thank you. I thought the big favorites always win. Wow, I have to learn about this game of baseball.

shadymcgrady
    shadymcgrady's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2978

Trying to find motivation during the nba reg season is like looking for waldo

juicername
    Thomorino - Fade and Get Paid
    juicername's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3972

Both teams were going for sweeps today against horrible opponents. And it looks like both teams will probably lose. Boston has already lost. In the case of the Nats, they were up against a Padres team that was 20-48 in their last 68 road games, and were averaging 2.6 runs per game vs righties in their last 10 games. In the case of the Red Sox, they were facing a pitcher who had given up 10 runs in his last start, and the Red Sox were outscoring the Mariners by almost 4 runs per game in their last 10 games.

So what happened? Neither team gave a flying phuck about their opponent, didn't take them seriously, and then lost. This should show us all NOT to eliminate the variable of MOTIVATION from our handicapping. If one team seems like an obvious winner, then they probably won't take the game seriously. This is an angle that I use big time in College Basketball, but it's equally important in baseball. Try to only bet on games where each team is equally motivated.
    Your conclusion seems to be way way off. Why not identify spots where only one team is motivated and bet it if it's so easy?

Machine Choice

Quote Originally Posted by juicername View Post
    Your conclusion seems to be way way off. Why not identify spots where only one team is motivated and bet it if it's so easy?
    Because usually the team that is unmotivated is facing a weaker opponent. And I didn't say motivation is the only factor. It is a factor to be considered. On paper the Red Sox should have destroyed the Mariners yesterday, but they played lifeless baseball. That does not mean that Seattle should have been a bet. The best bet in these situations is "pass." You never know when the favorite is gonna show up against an inferior opponent and crush them.

PAULYPOKER
    I slipped Tricky Dick a hit of LSD!
    PAULYPOKER's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by PAULYPOKER View Post

Wow man Tough loss''''.........

I told you last to always bet against the sweep.............
    Nationals and Red Sox, a lesson in motivation