pico
    USC ml
    pico's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1634

fading free picks

couple of weeks ago i was curious about how good are those free picks. i think there are more losers than winners, but i don't know exactly the win/lose record. so i think i am going to start keeping the record for win loss for each person on the free pick page.

*the way i am keeing tally is that if the person picked a minus money win, he'll be credited 100 pts. If he picks a minus money loss, his score will be lowered by that amount. If he picks a plus money win, he'll be credited that amount, and if he picks a plus money loss, his score will be lowered by 100. the person with the highest score is the best handicapper.

6/1/2007
    Brian Gabrielle: Angels ML -197
    Tony George: Red Sox ML (i hope this guy is wrong today) +107
    Al McMordie: Tigers Under 10.5 +111
    Marc Lawrence: Dogers ML -147
    Ben Burns: Brewers ML -147
    L.T. Profit Sports Group: Royals ML +185

5/31/2007
    Marc Lawrence: Mariner ML -167 win
    Al McMordie: white sox under 8 1/2 -106 win
    Mike Rose: Florida ML +153 loss
    Matt Fargo: Dodgers ML -138 loss
    Alex Smart: Padres ML -135 win
    Jimmy Boyd: Brewers ML -161 win

record
    Marc Lawrence 100
    Al McMordie 100
    Mike Rose -100
    Matt Fargo -138
    Alex Smart 100
    Jimmy Boyd 100

i'll try to update this daily. if you find this useful, you can help me update it too. but i doubt many people on this forum take the free picks seriously.
    Last edited by pico; 06-01-07 at 09:09 AM. Reason: all odds are based on pinnacle when i recorded their picks

Hulu
    Hulu's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 90

Interesting. I did this a while ago for an extended period. I tracked about 20 cappers who gave out free picks on a daily basis over the course of about 6 months. Here was their winning %.

NBA - 50.3% - Not enough to make a profit betting ATS
    MLB - 53.2% - Avg ML was below -115 so no profit here either
    NHL - 56.4% - Avg ML was below -120 so slight edge here but the sample size was too small in my opinion as I kiboshed the project partway into the 2005/06 season.

I'll be interested to see how your results compare.

fifawcs
    fifawcs's Avatar Become A Pro!

Mark Lawrence seems pretty good. You should also keep track of the posters on this board and see who is consistently good.

pico
    USC ml

Quote Originally Posted by fifawcs View Post
    Mark Lawrence seems pretty good. You should also keep track of the posters on this board and see who is consistently good.
    that would be too much work. i think we all know who claimed he took out a home equit loan to bet 40 dimes on a game.

The HG
    The HG's Avatar Become A Pro!

Well this strategy worked like a charm in the movie "Let It Ride".

There aren't too many touts I read at all, but the ones I do follow, I follow not because of their records, claimed or otherwise, but because of their write-ups. Sound, insightful, and thorough analysis will beget winners. Someone who gives a pick accompanied by throwaway cliches is not someone I would ever follow, regardless of how many winners they pick.

Over the years I have found Dave Malinsky to be the best. Matt Fargo also is good in basketball, IMO. But that's based on nothing but my own recollections and impressions, I certainly don't look into which touts are what.

pico
    USC ml

buztah
    buztah's Avatar Become A Pro!

I get such a kick out of folks who actually pay for picks. LOL! If the guys selling the picks were good they would make money by, well, you know............

GAMBLING! ROTFLMFAO!!!!!!!!!!

Willie Bee
    Willie Bee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 305

We've just been tracking the W-L-P records for the front page picks since February. As soon as I get the info together for May, I'll update it in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by fifawcs
    Mark Lawrence seems pretty good.
    Lawrence's record from February through April was 26-48-3 on the free picks we published here. Most of that was NBA and MLB.

pico
    USC ml

Quote Originally Posted by Willie Bee View Post
    We've just been tracking the W-L-P records for the front page picks since February. As soon as I get the info together for May, I'll update it in this thread.

Lawrence's record from February through April was 26-48-3 on the free picks we published here. Most of that was NBA and MLB.
    willie, i like my rating system better. if a handcappier keep picking huge favorites, he is more likely to have a better record. i think it is more fair with my rating system

ShamsWoof10
    ShamsWoof10's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24

I like the idea of fading picks... Find one person you know who bets and don't let him know but fade every straight bet he makes...

Willie Bee
    Willie Bee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 305

Quote Originally Posted by picoman View Post
    willie, i like my rating system better. if a handcappier keep picking huge favorites, he is more likely to have a better record. i think it is more fair with my rating system
    I agree. Just started tracking the wins and losses earlier for fun. We have it on the backburner to try and automate the tracking. Just going to require some data entry since these guys are making their picks at various prices. Interested in seeing the unit scores you're tracking.

LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5179

buztah (and others),

I could only speak for myself, as I have no dealings with most of the other front page cappers. First off, in my case, I make significantly more money BETTING my plays than from any other form of income.

So why sell plays? I look at that like a moonlighting job without the extra work. I put im a lot of hours handicappng games for betting purposes anyway, so why not make a few bucks on the side by selling them? The extra income comes in handy with a family and two mortgages.

Yes I am well aware there are a lot of scumbags in this business, but when you think about it, there really is not much difference between an honest handicapper and a financial advisor.