23. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

11 47.83%
  • no

12 52.17%
    bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Are the Yankees done?

This is the worst the Yankees have ever been under Torre's reign as New York's manager. I know they have had a lot of injuries this year and everything, but there should be enough talent on that roster in order to be at least contending right now. Mean while the Red Sox appear to have built a big lead in that AL which is likely not going to be over taken by anyone this year.

Just ask the Braves last year. All streaks must come to an end, and this is the year the Yankees finish out of the playoffs.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4651

Yes.

What is even hurting them more, is the Red Sox are continuing to win. Right putting them 12.5 back. Then the teams in the AL Central that will probably get the Wild Card, are doing well also.

pico
    USC ml
    pico's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1634

don't worry about the yankees, they'll come back. remember last year? this year, they'll get in the groove by the all star game, and they'll kick some serious ass in the second half.

just remember, steinberner has shit load of cash, they can buy people during the season, so i think they can still make the AL wildcard...not sure if they can have a better record than the red sox though...the red sox is loaded this year, i can't imagine they're not making the playoffs...unless daisuke, shillings, beckett, wakefield, and taverez all got season long injuries.

LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5179

The Yankees will probably improve in the second half, but unlike past years, I think they have just dug themselves too big a hole to make the playoffs this year. They will not pass Boston in the division, and I don't think they will catch both AL Central teams after spotting them this big a lead.

So are the Yankees done? That depends on how you interpret the question. If the question is really "Will the Yankees miss the playoffs for the first time in 98 years (LOL) this year?", I would have to say YES. If the question is "Will the Yankees just mail it in the rest of the season?", I would say NO as I am sure they have at least one big run in them, although I think they fall short.

Dead Money
    Dead Money's Avatar Become A Pro!

Stick a fork in them baby!!!!

Willie Bee
    Willie Bee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 305

A wise man once told me to be very careful when writing a man's obit before he takes his last breath. Been a lot of smart people left with their toes in their mouth writing off athletes and teams too early. Who will ever forget the Houston Chronicle, the Bayou City's leading misinformation source, kissing the Astros' chances goodbye about this point in the 2005 season, even running the story with a big tombstone on the front page of the sports section? I know I can't forget it, been laughing at those mentally-challenged, yellow-dog journalists ever since.

Crayzee
    Crayzee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9053

absolutely done as far as winning the division

maybe a slim chance at a wild card
    but theres a lot of pretty good wild card contenders

pico
    USC ml
    pico's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1634

Quote Originally Posted by Crayzee View Post
    absolutely done as far as winning the division

maybe a slim chance at a wild card
    but theres a lot of pretty good wild card contenders
    nothing is impossible in sports. what if the red sox jet/bus crashed?

Crayzee

Quote Originally Posted by picoman View Post
    nothing is impossible in sports. what if the red sox jet/bus crashed?

yeah-you got a point

buztah
    buztah's Avatar Become A Pro!

Can't say they're done yet. They could get red hot and win 25 of 30 soon. Never count these guys out until they are mathematically eliminated. Slim chance of them winning the divy but solid chance they make the POs on a WC. No guarantee that Clev and Det stay hot.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...

Quote Originally Posted by Willie Bee View Post
    A wise man once told me to be very careful when writing a man's obit before he takes his last breath. Been a lot of smart people left with their toes in their mouth writing off athletes and teams too early. Who will ever forget the Houston Chronicle, the Bayou City's leading misinformation source, kissing the Astros' chances goodbye about this point in the 2005 season, even running the story with a big tombstone on the front page of the sports section? I know I can't forget it, been laughing at those mentally-challenged, yellow-dog journalists ever since.
    So is that a yes, Willie?

seaborneq
    It's time to collect
    seaborneq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13422

Yes, yes, and hell yes.

rjt721
    rjt721's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 378

They can forget about the AL East, but they're only 7.5 behind Detroit for the wild card. The Yankees are lucky the Tigers are really struggling right now, and with Zumaya out a couple months, Cleveland might run away with the Central. The Yanks still have a realistic shot at making a run for the wild card.

bigboydan

What I found rather interesting was they had a team meeting today an hour before game time, and they still got crushed tonight.

There done and the linesmakers are still putting out those overpriced lines on them. I love it !!!

onlooker
    I'm still watching...

Quote Originally Posted by bigboydan View Post
    There done and the linesmakers are still putting out those overpriced lines on them. I love it !!!
    Well they know Joe Public will still bet them to grave. I too, love that Dan.

xxx
    xxx's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 28282

They are done, capput. Even if Rogers clemens goes, 21-0 they are done. To many cooks in the kitchen.

AC1318
    AC1318's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 60

Last edited by AC1318; 05-29-07 at 10:30 AM.

Crayzee

they were absolutely pathetic last night
    but i'm not sure i'll bet against them tonite
    you keep thinking theyre just gonna break out big one night and they never do

bigboydan

Are there still any non-believers out there that say they will make the playoffs now?

Face facts guys... The Bronx Bombers are done for 2007!

EBone
    Washington State +140 over Wichita State
    EBone's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 158

Well, I don't think the Yankees are done but you certainly can't bet on them right now because, between the Yanks and the Cubs, those lines seem outrageous to me.

I'd like to start betting both the Yanks and the Cubs but it just seems like you are paying a premium on both of those teams right now. I hope it changes at some point. I doubt it will but I hope it will. I voted "NO" on the poll.

E

BuddyBear
    Update your status
    BuddyBear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4805

not really....it's not uncommon to see teams go on streaks like winning 16 of 22 games. Trust me, BOS is not going to be playing at this elite level all year. Even so, NYY needs to start winning fast...the problem this year is not only their pitching but their hitting is horrible.

tblues2005
    tblues2005's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7184

I think the Yankees are in deep, deep trouble, they don't have any pitching and things is not looking good for them at all currently.

seaborneq
    It's time to collect
    seaborneq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13422

You cannot get a line on them to win the AL East, yet all the other divisions are currently available. And they are 10-1 to win the World Series. I say they are deep doo doo.

Doc JS
    Doc JS's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

For the division...Yes. I heard on ESPN radio this morning, only once has a team overcome this big a defecit this late (after Memorial Day) and won the division (I think it was 1918). Barring the Red Sox plane going down, the Yanks are done in the division.

For the wild card...Probably. It has taken, on average, 95 wins to win the wild card the last five years in the American League. With about 110 games to go, the Yankees will have to go 74-36 to get to 95 victories. That's winning at a .673 clip. That's quite an improvement over the .420 clip they're winning at right now.

Roger is a 6 inning pitcher who plays once every five days. He ain't the calvary.

They look old and their left handed bats have been abysmal and I think they miss Sheffield more than they thought they would.

They're done in the divison. They're probably done in the wild card as well unless they start playing a helluva lot better than they've been playing.

Doc JS

LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5179

Doc JS

Yes I made a lot of money while betting on the Cubs during that great comeback in 1918!

Yes, the Yankees are done.

fearless
    fearless's Avatar Become A Pro!

What does this thread say about what kind of handicappers inhabit this board?

Yankees are the play v. Felix Hernandez.

EJandV
    EJandV's Avatar Become A Pro!

they are just so tempting like today at home against the rays and being the biggest fav on the board , they cost me a good day 2 out of 3 at home playing the rays , thats sad , but is normal , I wish I would have read this thread friday at the start of the series . ;;;;;

EJandV
    EJandV's Avatar Become A Pro!

On the subject of this piece ? My answer back then was no of course early on means little , they will be right there battling in sept to make the postseason , is what I told all redsox lovers , to me that is the normal occurence vs the they just fade out of the race , that would be crazy uncommon ...
    mine >>> rsox tigs angels indians
    mets cubs dodgers padres >>> at start of season . now ? haha am whipped .
    Last edited by EJandV; 09-03-07 at 03:14 AM. Reason: predictions