Snowball
    Snowball's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3780

why do so many managers blow games by leaving struggling pitchers in ?

This has always bothered me. It has happened so many times, literally
    hundreds and hundreds of times so much that it's really making me sour
    on baseball betting.
    It goes like this...

The manager never seems to change pitchers at the right time.
    He leaves the starter or middle reliever in the game when that
    pitcher is obviously struggling to the point where he put the team
    in jeopardy of losing the game. Then despite having replacements
    warming up, he leaves the pitcher in there, who proceeds to cough up
    the go-behind runs, and then the manager pulls the pitcher after he
    gives up the runs that cost the team the game.
    Well why not err on the side of caution and try to pull the pitcher BEFORE
    he coughs up the runs when he's obviously struggling ? Why do they almost
    always keep the pitcher in the game and lose ? They even go out to the mound
    and talk to the guy then leave him in there, but 90% of the time they don't pull
    him until he drops a big load on the field. It just angers me to see the managers
    wait until the worst happens THEN pull the pitcher !! These guys are making millions
    but they don't have the insight to pick the right time to make a pitching change.
    It is infuriating.

IllyPhilly[DOC]
    IllyPhilly[DOC]'s Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7288

Agree fully! However, I will say, in those same situations they may have a tired pen or that very pitcher has the ability to get out of his own funk. BUT I do hate when it's just that bad of a struggle and they continue to dig deeper. Tough being a manager and making the correct call day in and out.

44 Mag
    44 Mag's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13182

Quote Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
    This has always bothered me. It has happened so many times, literally
    hundreds and hundreds of times so much that it's really making me sour
    on baseball betting.
    It goes like this...

The manager never seems to change pitchers at the right time.
    He leaves the starter or middle reliever in the game when that
    pitcher is obviously struggling to the point where he put the team
    in jeopardy of losing the game. Then despite having replacements
    warming up, he leaves the pitcher in there, who proceeds to cough up
    the go-behind runs, and then the manager pulls the pitcher after he
    gives up the runs that cost the team the game.
    Well why not err on the side of caution and try to pull the pitcher BEFORE
    he coughs up the runs when he's obviously struggling ? Why do they almost
    always keep the pitcher in the game and lose ? They even go out to the mound
    and talk to the guy then leave him in there, but 90% of the time they don't pull
    him until he drops a big load on the field. It just angers me to see the managers
    wait until the worst happens THEN pull the pitcher !! These guys are making millions
    but they don't have the insight to pick the right time to make a pitching change.
    It is infuriating.
    Ask that idiot Farrell from the Red Sox. LOL. I have seen him time & again leave guys in getting shelled in the first & second inning. Down 7 or 9 to nothing, THEN he makes a move. Joke. Mattingly, Assmunch and the list goes on. Ridiculous. Look at last night. Bring in a "rookie" in the tenth of a tie ball game, never uses either jap pitcher, and the guys gives up 4 runs. WTF.

mrshoes
    mrshoes's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7154

most of the times the guy they bring in would be just as bad

VegasPlayer
    VegasPlayer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6319

Managers hands are tied these days and very few of them have the stones to buck the system. This article was on ESPN yesterday. It's still on the home page also, may have to look for it tho.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/13...ng-harder-ever

Real interesting what LaRussa had to say
    Last edited by VegasPlayer; 07-04-15 at 10:43 AM.

mrshoes
    mrshoes's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7154

or worse

Snowball

Quote Originally Posted by 44 Mag View Post
    Ask that idiot Farrell from the Red Sox. LOL. I have seen him time & again leave guys in getting shelled in the first & second inning. Down 7 or 9 to nothing, THEN he makes a move. Joke. Mattingly, Assmunch and the list goes on. Ridiculous. Look at last night. Bring in a "rookie" in the tenth of a tie ball game, never uses either jap pitcher, and the guys gives up 4 runs. WTF.
    Farrell made 3 pitching change mistakes last night !! First, he left Masterson in too long.
    Sox bats bailed him out, and Layne pitched well.
    Then, he left in Barnes too long. Barnes loaded the bases with 1 out. Then of course he
    pulls Barnes after giving up the lead 5-7. He puts in Breslow and it's inning over. Well
    Mr. Farrell why didn't you just put in Breslow sooner ? Sox bats bail him out again.
    Then in the 10th you describe it.
    Francona did the same thing all the time. So does 90% of other managers.
    The only manager I can recall making sharp calls on pitchers today is Ned Yost.

44 Mag
    44 Mag's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
    Farrell made 3 pitching change mistakes last night !! First, he left Masterson in too long.
    Sox bats bailed him out, and Layne pitched well.
    Then, he left in Barnes too long. Barnes loaded the bases with 1 out. Then of course he
    pulls Barnes after giving up the lead 5-7. He puts in Breslow and it's inning over. Well
    Mr. Farrell why didn't you just put in Breslow sooner ? Sox bats bail him out again.
    Then in the 10th you describe it.
    Francona did the same thing all the time. So does 90% of other managers.
    The only manager I can recall making sharp calls on pitchers today is Ned Yost.
    Not only is it stupid, but, I am sure the pitcher is embarrassed, the team is deflated, how are we going to come back from being down 7-9 runs in the first or second inning??? I mean , you might as well let outfielders pitch. LOL.

Snowball

you know what else is Captain Moron ?
    AFTER the pitcher they leave in too long gives up
    the game, THEN they proceed to WASTE their bullpen ANYWAY instead of saving it for
    a game they can win !!
    you can't make this chit up !!

BigDofBA
    BigDofBA's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2011

This happens all the time and it pisses me off too.

I remember one game in which the Dbacks actually pulled their closer after he walked the bases loaded and let the Giants tie the game. They pulled him, got out of the jam, and won in extra innings.

Had they left him in, they for sure would have lost and I would have lost my bet. It was the one time I remember thinking, "Thank god the manager had some common sense there."

With that said, most of the time they just leave them in there. Sometimes the closer will let the other team tie the game and it's obvious he can't get anyone out yet they leave him in there until he loses it. It's frustrating.

44 Mag
    44 Mag's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by BigDofBA View Post
    This happens all the time and it pisses me off too.

I remember one game in which the Dbacks actually pulled their closer after he walked the bases loaded and let the Giants tie the game. They pulled him, got out of the jam, and won in extra innings.

Had they left him in, they for sure would have lost and I would have lost my bet. It was the one time I remember thinking, "Thank god the manager had some common sense there."

With that said, most of the time they just leave them in there. Sometimes the closer will let the other team tie the game and it's obvious he can't get anyone out yet they leave him in there until he loses it. It's frustrating.
    Yeah, well last week, Brad Assmunch brings in a guy, he throws 8 (eight) pitches, get two outs and out of the inning. Tie game, then the moron brings in another guy (why exactly) who proceeds to load the bases and give up a triple !!!!!. Was the guy who threw 8 whole pitches exhausted ?????? LOL.