pat venditto
    pat venditto's Avatar Become A Pro!

anyone here make their living solely off of sportsbetting?

I'm attempting to do so and was wondering if anyone here does.

BuddyBear
    Update your status
    BuddyBear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4805

I wish....i think there are a few guys on here who do so. I think BBD does.....also, IMGV94 guess I does but not sure who else does.

tacomax
    SBR Problem Poster 2007-08
    tacomax's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1167

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyBear View Post
    also, IMGV94 guess I does but not sure who else does.
    After the debacle over $100, I think we both know that's not the case.

TheProphet
    TheProphet's Avatar Become A Pro!

I used to do that as my only job and profession for about 5 years and it can be awesome at times cause when you are on a hot streak you have mad BANK coming in. When you are losing it sucks everyone goes hot to cold from time to time so it is all about money management. The only reason I quit is, because I started selling picks and making plays so I guess I still make all my money from sports betting, but it isn't only my money on the line now. It is easily possible though 3 of my closest friends who I have grown up with bet my games and just stay home one of them also plays poker and makes HUGE cash on that the online gambling laws have kind of hurt his poker playing though. Make sure you don't ever lose your head on your hot streaks and ESPECIALLY on cold streaks it is easy to say I have lost 3 straight days and need to get a winning day then bet lights out on your LOCK thinking you are bound to win it this time. That is where you get in the holes and lose. It also depends on how much money you have to start out for instance I started small in college and did it as a fun thing on the side and built a bankroll that I now use and I still don't play that large of plays compared to some full time gamblers. I can't stress enough though money management is the key it is very possible for people to do you just have to keep your bets regular and not lose your head.

Terpman92
    Terpman92's Avatar Become A Pro!

I would like to do it full time. However, I feel that once I quit my real job and did that I would start losing. I bet enough to make it fun and a real nice part time income for me.

TheProphet

That is probably the smartest way to do it Terpman or you could even increase your bets to make TWO full time incomes which would be kick @$$

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

I do... The problem is this baseball season sure is putting a cramp in my bankroll so far. I never expected so much chalk to be cashing these past 3 weeks.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4663

Quote Originally Posted by TheProphet View Post
    TWO full time incomes which would be kick @$$
    Thats basically what I do. I need my job to have medical insurance for my son, and me when these teams give me a heart attack.

Sports betting gives me the freedom to slack off at work and take a few days off here and there and not have to worry about it.

TheProphet

well onlooker you must do it off your baseball betting, because you haven't agreed with my basketball this past month at all and I have been killing. My baseball has been struggling so far on the season. This week has been solid though so that is good.

pico
    USC ml
    pico's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1634

Quote Originally Posted by onlòóker View Post
    Thats basically what I do. I need my job to have medical insurance for my son, and me when these teams give me a heart attack.

Sports betting gives me the freedom to slack off at work and take a few days off here and there and not have to worry about it.
    yep, keep your day job because betting full time can make you depressed and crazy. this is suppose to be entertainment...that is what i think of it

my sports winnings just pay for the extra nice things. if i am on a hot streak, i can throw a big party with blackjack and hookers. and when i am cold, my parties will be byob. but the real important thing is to never bet with money you can't afford to lose. the time when i hit a really cold streak and lost my entire bankroll, i am able to pay all the bills plus able to afford going out on the weekends.

austintx05
    austintx05's Avatar Become A Pro!

BBD - I never knew you did...congrats...I have just set my goals for the next 24 months to put myself in position to wager for a living.

AC1318
    AC1318's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 60

Of course no one here makes a living of gambling, you see the picks made half the time.

no just kidding

please no one get your panties in a bunch

BuddyBear
    Update your status
    BuddyBear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4805

There are better goals in life to shoot for than to try to be a pro gambler....if you can do it great, but really it is an extremely remote possibility that you can do it no matter how good you think you are. You have to be an elite handicapper...like top 1% or 2% in the world.

RickySteve
    SBR is a criminal organization
    RickySteve's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 187

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyBear View Post
    I wish....i think there are a few guys on here who do so. I think BBD does.....also, IMGV94 guess I does but not sure who else does.
    I'd lay a big price that this is false.

willyback
    willyback's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 55

It's possible... My friend is pro handicapper. The key is to bet big on your best picks and develop quality systems for each sport.

accuscoresucks
    accuscoresucks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 97

sports investing is about half my income,the other is poker
    my first love

accuscoresucks
    accuscoresucks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 97

i also buy and sell cars,im happy if i move 3-4 a year alot of the cars i sell the people around here dont have that kind of cash..my wife works part time just cause she likes to.

if you are a lion,a wolf that can devour a persons heart out you will know that is the breed it takes to have success.if you got it you know. it can be taught but a taught trait needs recharged and is not as apt to the true conditions needed for survival..

it aint no fun going to the local walgreens and buying rogaine every 3 months,
    juiceing healthy and taking viatamins every day to drop your blood pressure
    Last edited by accuscoresucks; 12-01-07 at 03:42 PM.

prop
    prop's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2002

Sports betting makes up about 60% of my annual income and I certainly don't consider myself in the top 1-2% of handicappers

I could probably write a several page post on the pros and cons of being a professional gambler but I'll save the boring read and just give a short tip which is:
    This is pretty much something you really need to love doing for it even to be worth it to do.

The reason i say that is because with all the time it takes up if you have enough of a bankroll that sports betting as a primary source of income is worth it, then there are probably better options. The same time commitment with cash could be invested elsewhere in ways you could earn a lot more $ or build passive residual income as well.

Thats not even the tip of the iceberg as far as the battle is concerned. The learning curve is intense and: the ability to make quick decision, good problem solving skills, extreme discipline and good money management skills are all pretty much required. If you can handle all that then really the next step is really needing to love doing it otherwise your much better off finding a better use of your bankroll.

wesleysnipes
    wesleysnipes's Avatar Become A Pro!

My name is alfred kelley, i am a 19 yr old african american sports bettor, actor, and a comedian out of houston, tx. Right now as of August 14,2009- friday. I am making enough money with sports betting- to pay bills, afford a car, etc. I am averaging almost $300/day with sports betting. I rarely lose. I created a genious strategy to profit in this industry after reading for thousands and thousands and thousands of hrs on every and anything i could on sports betting. So far I am on a 6-0 run. I mainly bet mlb, but my strategies work for wnba, nfl, nba. My goal by the end of 2009- is to be making a six figure income with sports betting. Which i dont think that would be tough- figuring that I am making almost $300/day right now with sports betting. Now I do all my research/selecting picks by myself. For those who want other pro's to do it- who actually make a living playing their picks, and not selling them- visit www.madduxsports.com. And for my picks- you can visit sbr forum daily, and my post is, "Alfred Kelley's $1,000 Bet of the Day." It is free, and it is my top pick, that i play. You may say, why are you giving out your pick for free, and not charging. Or why are you wasting your time giving your picks out, etc... Because i believe it is better to give than to receive. I love helping people out. I am one of the few who not only can profit as much in sports betting, but i am one of the few who is so considerate, and giving. I hope that teaches people a lesson as well. That we should invest time and money into helping other people. Don't live in your own little bubble. Reach out to other people. Just like making friends- i realize that i can make thousands of friends- only if i become interested in them, and reach out to them. I realize that life is not about me, me, me. It is about others, others, others. At the end of life- will people look back and say he focused on himself all the time, or will they say he helped other people, and gave other people advice, etc.. So let us reach out to people, and Good luck to everyone in their endeavours to make it to the top with sports betting. It is a high ladder to reach. But you can reach it, just don't give up, if the ladder breaks and falls down. Build it up again, and start over.

MartinBlank
    Going to be a good weekend
    MartinBlank's Avatar Become A Pro!

19 years old and you have been earning a living off of sports betting for how many years exactly?

Don't get me wrong, we all appreciate your generosity but you may need to post a track record before anyone signs on. Also, I think Venditto's thread is 2 years old.

threeg5
    All In A Days Work
    threeg5's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 321

Quote Originally Posted by Terpman92 View Post
    I would like to do it full time. However, I feel that once I quit my real job and did that I would start losing. I bet enough to make it fun and a real nice part time income for me.
    This is an attitude that will cause you to fail. Second guessing yourself is the worst enemy not the guy that is knocking you.
    You have to have faith and confidence in yourself nervousness is fairly healthy but confidence will ultimately win or lose for you.

Quote Originally Posted by pico View Post
    yep, keep your day job because betting full time can make you depressed and crazy. this is suppose to be entertainment...that is what i think of it

my sports winnings just pay for the extra nice things. if i am on a hot streak, i can throw a big party with blackjack and hookers. and when i am cold, my parties will be byob. but the real important thing is to never bet with money you can't afford to lose. the time when i hit a really cold streak and lost my entire bankroll, i am able to pay all the bills plus able to afford going out on the weekends.
    This is the way that I play it but I am fortunate in other areas that allow my BR to be fairly decent. I have very small units as in 10$ most of the time Why? because I like to try a lot of things at once and then ride the ones that are winning until they start to lose. Bet with the streak not against it.
    This has given me 2 very comfortable rooms in my house one of which was completely paid for using only sports wagering winnings (that was the deal I made with my wife ) It is called my money room for obvious reasons. I bet on horse racing for the most part to get it I then trusted someone else that was doing just balls out great and second guessed myself lost more then what I wanted and havent bet on Horses in over 7 months now except a few little favorties here and there for pennies. I am now learning other sports betting and wagering as well, And remember this someone will always tell you that there is no system to wagering if that were the case then there would be no sprotsbooks as they use a system to give us the lines to bet on everyday all day.
    Good Luck to You and your future endeavors make good money and Never be afriad to succeed in life its what we were put here to do is to win look around no one wnats to be a loser most just fear the unknown.

Peace Out

johncrud
    Suck, Fuc, Lick Combination
    johncrud's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 152

TheProphet When you said you make a living, what is the amount you are referring to.. or can anyone answer that question.

Some low budget people can making a living with only 10k, while others need 50k.

jillmark
    Update your status
    jillmark's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5121

yes, my bookie.

EDOG51
    EDOG51's Avatar Become A Pro!

Hi guys,

Greetings from the UK

I often discuss this topic with buddies and a lot of are very negative towards it. I work as a Personal Trainer and make another income through sports betting.. or what I prefer to call it 'Sports Investing'. Anyone who tells you you cant make good money from sports investing is either too scared or too narrow minded so if you want to make money from it I say GO FOR IT. Have confidence in yourself and do your research. All I would say is follow these rules:

1. Know what your betting on- This applies to the sport, league, teams, players, EVERYTHING you are putting your hard earned cash on. Ultimately yes a lot of it comes down to chance but I would rather have all the elements that aren't chance in my favor. so basically follow the teams and leagues like a fan. be specific (I do very well betting on soccer, I bet on English Prem, English Championship, Spanish La Liga, Italian Serie A, and German Bundesliga) and I know these leagues inside out. I challenge anybody who trades to make money over a long period betting on a sport/ leagues they do not know well.

2. Find a system that works! You need a system that allows you to win when your luck is good but more importantly control your losses when your luck goes against you.

3. Keep your day job! I went pro for 2 years. I found myself going insane, I was up at 2/3/4am betting on bullshit leagues on the other side of the world. Success breeds success, for some reason when my Fitness business is doing well I seem to win a hell of alot more bets.

You CAN make serious money as a Sports Investor. But like any business/ income it doesnt happen without hard work and has its up and downs.

Good luck peeps

tennis21
    tennis21's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 800

Yes been doing so for 25 years and a lot of ups and downs . When you win you must invest in something that gives you monthly income or something steady when times are bad . I do not recommend it as its much tougher today with sharper lines ect ..

jgabby
    jgabby's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 42

Quote Originally Posted by tennis21 View Post
    Yes been doing so for 25 years and a lot of ups and downs . When you win you must invest in something that gives you monthly income or something steady when times are bad . I do not recommend it as its much tougher today with sharper lines ect ..
    tennis invested in me this week hahaha

tennis21
    tennis21's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 800

Quote Originally Posted by jgabby View Post
    tennis invested in me this week hahaha
    Yes i did and I am biting my tongue right now as RULE #1 You do not go on vacation during a winning streak ..... Only take vacations during losing streaks .... NO in all honesty I think your on to something (taking a proven model and tweaking it ) ... Sounds like I may need lock you in a room and send girls by the room so you can keep spitting out winners .... Enjoy your vacation...

keel44
    Update your status
    keel44's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12276

It is so hard to build a bankroll in the first place. You might skate by if you got $20,000 set aside for gambling.

Kababayan
    Kababayan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4631

I've been thinking of the topic of "sports betting for living" for a while now, coming at it from the view of a business owner. I didn't realize that this response would be so long, so I do apologize in advance for its length. I'm sure that some of us got into this with the hopes of quitting our day-jobs and letting sports betting take care of us (myself included.) I do think, however, that it would be very challenging to bet on sports for a living.

The main reason is that most of us don't have a large enough bankroll to begin with. A person would have to make enough money betting on sports to pay for a mortgage, health insurance, car payment, retirement accounts, and income taxes. Some would argue that you can just not claim most of the winnings, as to not pay taxes on it, but without showing income a person can't buy a house, car, etc. No one wants to work just to make ends meet, so a sports bettor would also have to make enough money to put away for savings and losing streaks. Keeping in mind that many "real jobs" (company jobs) offer help with health insurance and the matching of 401K's, so as a sports bettor you would have to make more money than most to be able to comfortably cover all of the expenses that some "real jobs" help with. To cover all of that, I think a sports bettor would have to make $100,000 a year min (especially if they lived on the coasts) to cover taxes, health insurance, and have enough left over for all other responsibilities. Let's say that a person averages 80 units a year profit consistently. Even if that person bet $1000 a game, there still would not be enough yearly profit to comfortably bet on sports for a living.

I've heard many people say that if you find a system that averages 55% a year, you would be rich. I don't think that's realistic for most of us because we don't bet large enough wagers, and it would take too long to build to that size of a wager. I'm guessing that most people who begin betting on sports start with $10 units, myself included. Let's say that I win 80 units a year (which is pretty good), by the end of the year I'm only up $800. Even if I have the discipline and patience to reinvest my profits and increase unit size, it would take me many, many years to build up enough money to have a good size bankroll needed to make serious money at this. That is the situation that I am in now; patiently taking my time to build my bankroll so that 5-10 years from now I can get it to a size where I can actually make some decent money. My goal is to one day be able to bet $100 a game, which I think is the minimum needed to make even a small, significant amount betting on sports. I'm not even close to that unit size yet.

After doing this for just three years, I have given up on my dream of sports investing for a living and decided to re-structure how I view sports betting. I now just want to make enough money to help fully fund my and my wife's retirement fund accounts. If I can do that, then all of the time sports betting will be worth it. I think that's a more realistic goal for most of us who do not have huge bankrolls. If all of us began with a $100,000 bankroll, I think most of us would succeed pretty well, but we don't have that size of a bankroll so we can just do enough to keep us in the game and be a part of the sports betting community.

I will end by sharing what a sports bettor told me when I first began. He said, "I bet on sports for a living, but I have a real job during the day to pay for my health insurance, 401k, and my bills. That way I won't stress too much over the losing days" Good luck to all.