smitch124
    smitch124's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1547

Giants sign Mark DeRosa

As a Giants fan I am very happy with this signing, I always liked this guy and a bat, any bat, is an upgrade.

Plus his wife will add a little eye candy around AT & T:

and believe me that is needed!

Willie Bee
    Willie Bee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 305

Smitch, you ol' hound dog you! Man, I was just wondering on Sunday (I think that's when I updated a piece on the front page site) when someone would sign DeRosa. Have always liked this guy, love any player that has his versatility, stick and "I don't care where you put me coach" attitude. Great addition for the Giants, will allow them to move Sandoval to first or let him play the same role in SF that Youkilis has had in Boston recently. San Fran needs one more OF stick, and I hope like hell they don't make the mistake of taking Burrell off Tampa's hands.

NYSportsGuy210
    NYSportsGuy210's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 131

They may sign Carlos Delgado and his degenerate hip to play 1B.

LLXC
    LLXC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10451

He'll probably end up being our clean up hitter. :|

smitch124

Looks like Bay is going with the Mets, I guess I could see them putting DeRosa in left, re-sign Uribe put him at 3rd with Panda at 1st.

AND

For the love of god, don't feel like you MUST play Rowand in center just cause he is making big bucks...

smitch124

Strong rumors that Uribe has re-signed, will give the Giants better depth and some pinch hitting they sorely need.

Common just one more bat!!

WillieMcGee
    WillieMcGee's Avatar Become A Pro!

Good sign. I watched an interview and DeRosa seems very happy tp be going to SF. He said it was 3 years in the making and SF had always liked him and he was ready to play anywhere the team needed him. He seemed thrilled to be playing under Bochy as well. SF added a very good baseball player.

warriorfan707
    SBR Poster of the Milennium
    warriorfan707's Avatar Become A Pro!

DeRosa is a class act, but what the hell is Sabean doing once again?

This is sickening.

Now they are going after LaRoche. What is it with Sabean and his love for mediocre, aging, expensive veterans that won't give us what we need. We need a huge impact bat.

We can win a World Series with that pitching staff. We need a beast.

Jon825
    YTD: 59-43-2
    Jon825's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1347

DeRosa is probably my favorite player of all time. He was only with the cubs for two years but there was not a doubt in my mind that he propelled the Cubs to a first place finish. With him we scored the most runs in the NL. However, after he left we scored 707 runs (22nd out of 30 MLB teams). Coincidence? i don’t think so. DeRosa conduced himself extremely well on and off the field. I want to congratulate The Giants and their fans on a tremendous pick up and GL throughout the year.

warriorfan707

He hit .215 after going to St Louis last year. This concerns me.

smitch124

Quote Originally Posted by warriorfan707 View Post
    DeRosa is a class act, but what the hell is Sabean doing once again?

This is sickening.

Now they are going after LaRoche. What is it with Sabean and his love for mediocre, aging, expensive veterans that won't give us what we need. We need a huge impact bat.

We can win a World Series with that pitching staff. We need a beast.
    Who would you sign? Holliday got $120 million and Bay wouldn't come to SF. Although it was never said straight out I doubt Holliday would consider coming to the Giants either. There is simply no one out there thats a young power hitter thats available and/or wants to go to the Giants.

You don't think Sabean knows thats what they need?

warriorfan707

Quote Originally Posted by smitch124 View Post
    Who would you sign? Holliday got $120 million and Bay wouldn't come to SF. Although it was never said straight out I doubt Holliday would consider coming to the Giants either. There is simply no one out there thats a young power hitter thats available and/or wants to go to the Giants.

You don't think Sabean knows thats what they need?
    Don't give me that. Sabean also thought we "needed" Renteria ( 9 mill a year) and Aaron Rowand (7 mill a year).

You can't be serious.

smitch124

Quote Originally Posted by warriorfan707 View Post
    Don't give me that. Sabean also thought we "needed" Renteria ( 9 mill a year) and Aaron Rowand (7 mill a year).

You can't be serious.
    Yes you know more about baseball than him

warriorfan707

Yes you know more about baseball than him
    You have proven nothing other than you are ignorant and narrow minded.

smitch124

The guy has been a GM for many years. He's the one that talks to the agents, knows what they are asking, watches the team every day, and talks to coaches and scouts and other GMs. Yet, you don't think he knows they need a young stud power hitter and would sign one in a heartbeat if that commodity were available.

For pointing that out, I am ignorant and narrow minded? please.

Carseller4
    Carseller4's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5153

DeRosa is a great all around player. Wish the Cubs still had him.

warriorfan707

The guy has been a GM for many years. He's the one that talks to the agents, knows what they are asking, watches the team every day, and talks to coaches and scouts and other GMs. Yet, you don't think he knows they need a young stud power hitter and would sign one in a heartbeat if that commodity were available.

For pointing that out, I am ignorant and narrow minded? please.
    Your above post claiming Im stating that I know more than him was nothing but a childish tactic, and hardly the issue.

Sabean has made some horrendous moves. Obviously he knows baseball, but if you were a Giants fan you would not be so oblivious to what I'm saying.

Granted he has built the best pitching staff in baseball, but when he traded for Ryan Garko last year and also damaged goods "Freddy Sanchez", he really blew it.

Just one example of many.

Now go ahead and claim that he knows more than me (which may be true) but has absolutely zero to do with accurately assessing his performance as Sf GM. You did nothing but committ a classic fallacy.

smitch124

Yes but just screaming we need a big bat!! is not getting anybody anywhere, its not gonna happen. Its just simply not available, except at the expense of a ton of pitching and that gets us nowhere.

I'm not defending Sabean's moves at all, I didn't want him resigned. I don't think he can draft and develop position players. Having said that, I think he realizes the Giants need a big bat and nothing would help his career more than finding one. Believe me, if he could procure one he would.

smitch124

Bengie Molina looks like he has been resigned by the Giants, thats actually not a bad thing if they don't bat him 4th! Will give more details as they become known....

smitch124

Molina has agreed to a 1 year $4.1 Million dollar deal, perfect for the Giants.

Welcome back Big Money!!

dwaechte
    dwaechte's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 235

This team is going to suck.

smitch124

Might as well make this the Giants new thread.

Giants offer Lincecum $8 million, he is asking for $13 million, fresh off of paying a $541 fine at a courtroom in Vancouver, Washington

warriorfan707

Bengie Molina looks like he has been resigned by the Giants, thats actually not a bad thing if they don't bat him 4th! Will give more details as they become known....
    I said the same exact thing. He is not a cleanup hitter

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

she is hot

smitch124

Freddy Sanchez now to have shoulder surgery and may not be ready for opening day

Man this guy has had one injury after another since the Giants acquired him.

LLXC
    LLXC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10451

Heard he was batting 6th.

warriorfan707

Freddy Sanchez now to have shoulder surgery and may not be ready for opening day

Man this guy has had one injury after another since the Giants acquired him.
    Again???? Are you kidding me?

Sanchez is such a pussy

Nice going sabean

Busterflywheel
    Busterflywheel's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24

Its a good add...there is so much talent still in free agent pool its crazy..to be honest though Im more interested in banging his wife..

Slanina
    Slanina's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5895

I enjoyed DeRosa's time in cleveland for the 12 hours we had him. What a joke.

infamousbacardi
    Alone In a Room
    infamousbacardi's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 132

DeRosa is underrated...great player, and a grinder...similar to Craig Counsell...but MD bad is better of course...those types of players are so valuable though...that's why Counsell has won like 2 or 3 titles, including a WS MVP trophy in his case! Great signing here.

frank21
    Witty Comic
    frank21's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by infamousbacardi View Post
    DeRosa is underrated...great player, and a grinder...similar to Craig Counsell...but MD bad is better of course...those types of players are so valuable though...that\'s why Counsell has won like 2 or 3 titles, including a WS MVP trophy in his case! Great signing here.
    DeRosa is not a \"great player\".