bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Marlins looking to relocate

didn't the pirates look into this about 5 to 10 years ago. and, MLB wouldn't let them. i know the expos relocated. but, MLB owned them at the time.

Saying, "It is very clear to us that there will be no baseball stadium in Miami," Marlins president David Samson revealed at a news conference Tuesday that the club will "explore the relocation of the Marlins" to other Florida areas as well as to other markets.
    "This is an announcement that baseball is no longer assured in South Florida," said Samson, who also revealed that the Marlins have received permission from Major League Baseball to explore relocation.

"This does not mean that the Marlins are necessarily leaving South Florida," Samson said. "It does, however, mean that we're going to seriously explore all of our options, including those in other markets. As part of this process, I do anticipate that will be engaging in discussions with other cities."

The Marlins have been playing at Dolphins Stadium since their first season in 1993 and have a lease with stadium owner Wayne Huizenga that runs through 2007, with one-year options available to the club through 2010. The team had been negotiating for several years with Miami officials for a new ballpark but no agreement has been reached.

Samson said the team would be open to discussions with Miami-Dade County officials.

"Our lease runs out at Dolphins Stadium after the 2010 sseason and I can tell you now, unequivocally, we will not sign an extension, even if offered, to continue to play in this building," Samson said. "I love watching baseball here but we simply must play in a baseball-only facility.

"Miami, the 'Gateway of the Americas," could very well be the first American city in 35 years to lose a Major League baseball team."

The Washington Senators were the last Major League team to leave an American city. They moved to Texas and became the Rangers in 1972.

"This is about the Marlins trying to save their franchise," Samson said. "We really have no wiggle room left.

"We're going to start working with places that want to do deals."

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

It's just a ploy to get a new stadium.