SBRforum Staff
    SBRforum Staff's Avatar Become A Pro!

Matt Fargo: D-Rays (-110) to sting Orioles

D-Rays (-110) to sting Orioles

Game Time: 4/17/2007 7:10:00 PM -
    By: Matt Fargo
    http://www.procappers.com

Behind Casey Fossum, their left-handed starting pitcher tonight, the Devil Rays should even their home series against the Baltimore Orioles.

Tampa Bay had a win wrapped up on Monday until the bullpen came in and blew the game as Jae Kuk Ryu gave up three straight doubles on eight pitches to take the loss. The bullpen has had its issues but the starting pitching came in with a 6.36 ERA and that has been the big problem. But Tuesday, that should turn around.

The Orioles have now won four straight games but three of those were against the Royals so the play against angle is thrown out here. Baltimore has owned the series but three of the Devils Rays' wins have come with tonight’s starter on the hill. The Devil Rays hopefully will not need the bullpen on Tuesday as Casey Fossum takes the mound coming off a great performance against Minnesota. He allowed just two runs in seven innings against the Twins and returns home where he was lit up in his first start this season against Toronto. The good news is that against Baltimore, he is 3-0 with a 3.44 ERA in three career home starts while with Tampa Bay. Baltimore is hitting only .224 on the road against left-handed pitching and it is 1-3 on the season against lefty starters.

Steve Trachsel appears rejuvenated in Baltimore as he has pitched two great games to start the year. Both were quality starts and because of that he falls into a play against angle. He is a Class C pitcher and the rule is to go against this class after two or more consecutive quality starts. For these lower-tiered hurlers to get three straight quality starts is extremely difficult. He has started hot in April but he has never been a good April road pitcher. His teams are just 4-20 against the moneyline in road games in April games since 1997.

Even in their loss on Monday, Tampa Bay hit the ball well but couldn’t come through with the clutch hits as it left 24 men on base. The Devil Rays have scored five or more runs seven times this season including three straight and will be the first to get to Trachsel this year. As mentioned, the Orioles are 1-3 against lefty starters and are now 18-36 against the money line against left-handed starters over the last two seasons. Tampa Bay gets that loss back here to tie up the series. Play Tampa Bay for one unit.

Play: Devil Rays -110

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

I disagree Mr.Fargo. I like the O's in this spot once again today.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4663

I like the Orioles again today. They should need a comeback tonight.