Willie Bee
    Willie Bee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 305

Preseason Trivia - Feb 26

Who was the first major leaguer in the 'modern era' to pitch a complete game shutout and homer in his major league debut?

moses millsap
    moses millsap's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1260

Jason Jennings at Shea.

Willie Bee

Correctamundo!

Jason Jennings made his debut for the Colorado Rockies on Aug 23,2001, against the Mets at Shea. The right-hander out of Baylor 'Miracle On The Brazos' University stopped a less-than-imposing Mets lineup on five hits and struck out eight in the shutout process. He also went 3-for-5 at the plate with a pair of RBI, one of which came on a 9th-inning homer off New York reliever Donne Wall.

moses millsap
    moses millsap's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1260

I remember I answered one of your trivia questions last year with the same answer of Jason Jennings (which was incorrect).

Your thoughts on his prospects this upcoming season in Houston?

Willie Bee

I'd be happy with 25 wins, an ERA just over the square root of 1, a league-leading 295 strikeouts and five consecutive complete game shutouts in the postseason

Let's see, he's made three starts in Houston over the past few years and has an ERA over 11, so my realistic expectations are that he can just cut that to about a third or so of that calculation. Some of it also depends on how he responds to 'pitching at home' in front of his family and friends. Jennings is actually a native of Dallas, or what I like to refer to as the place God once used to give Texas an enema, so Houston isn't really his hometown. But you can bet he'll have a lot of friends and family in for the games. Bringing in Woody Williams, who is a Houston boy, might help with some of that since Williams has done it with some success.

As long as Jennings doesn't put pressure on himself as if he has to replace both Pettitte and Clemens, I think he'll do ok and the club will lock him up to a multi-year deal at some point. The 'Stros are always a tough team for me to analyze with much objectivity since my heart always gets in the way. But I'm thinking an ERA around 4.00-4.10, 12-14 wins, something like that.