Sam Odom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 37

Peter Gammons, "Redsoxs have best rotation in MLB"

Said it today on ESPN's "Mike & Mike"

Do you agree?

Sam Odom

NO baseball guys here ?? whats up with dat ?

Jay Edgar
    Jay Edgar's Avatar Become A Pro!

I suppose they might.

I am also pretty sure that starting pitching is the single most overrated element in baseball handicapping. By far.

How about that for a discussion topic?

Sam Odom

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Edgar View Post
    I am also pretty sure that starting pitching is the single most overrated element in baseball handicapping.
    In todays game the bullpen is more important for most teams. Years back when a pitcher went 8 or 9 innings regularly they were the single most important 'capping element.

Willie Bee
    Willie Bee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 305

On paper, and using 'potential' as the guiding force, Boston probably does have the best rotation.

But depending upon the parameters set for such a wager, I'd be more than happy to fade Boston's rotation as far as winding up the best rotation in the majors this season. The Yankees can't be discounted, and should Clemens sign with New York or Houston, both of those staffs take immediate jumps.

But Boston's stiffest competition for the honors at the end of the season should come from one of several teams out west. The Dodgers, Padres, Angels and Giants could eventually pan out to be statistically better than Boston.

I took the chickenshˇt way out on the poll and voted 'too early.' I dare not agree with Gammons and have no idea if he's a homo

Sam Odom

Willie, Gammons also said Clemens will play with Houston but wont pitch until late spring like into late April or even May

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4663

I vote "too early to say".

Like Willie said, on paper they can possibly have one of the best rotations. Id rather make judgement after they have been in action this season.

The bullpen should be a big factor in ones handicapping of baseball. To many leads get lost in the 7th through 9th innings because teams have no middle relief or closer that are worth a sheit.

Bill Dozer
    @BillDozer110
    Bill Dozer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 21705

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Odom View Post
    Willie, Gammons also said Clemens will play with Houston but wont pitch until late spring like into late April or even May
    Baseball should make some kind of rule against this. He shouldn't be able to take long vacations and then get an inflated salary because teams can tell if he is going to be a difference-maker for them. This would never work in football.
    Imagine if Shaq wanted to do 1 yr contracts for the next 7 seasons. He could join a different 8th seed down the stretch, be in great health, and bring a championship.

Sam Odom

----- Mods ----- Move to Baseball forum

Thx!

Sam

Willie Bee
    Willie Bee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 305

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dozer View Post
    Baseball should make some kind of rule against this.
    I sort of agree, Bill. Just think you should either be part of the team or not be part of the team and retire. Don't really know Roger Clemens and therefore can't say if he's doing this just to milk the limelight a little as most people seem to think. That might be true, but I also believe he's just having a hard time saying goodbye to the game as a player.

What I don't agree with is the notion he got an inflated salary last year. The media has drummed it in and drummed it in, this $22 million figure from last season. That was the full season number they used to figure out his prorated salary from mid-June on. I even heard numbnuts Jay Mariotti yesterday say flat-out that Clemens earned $22 million to pitch for Houston last year. Granted, Mariotti is a fool and a lot worse misinformation has passed from his lips before. But whenever anyone who is noted as being an 'expert' continually spews the wrong info just because it's a bigger number and sounds better in the sound bytes, it bugs the holy poop out of me.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4663

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Odom View Post
    ----- Mods ----- Move to Baseball forum

Thx!

Sam
    Done.

I also agree with Bill. Either play from the start, or just sit the season out. That crap Clemens is pulling should be axed by the MLB. They can call it the Clemens rule.

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

I think it's too early to tell at the moment. How many people last year predicted Detroits pitching staff would be so great.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

The Red Sox made have one of the best rotations out there, but there bullpen sucks bad! They definitely should have addressed that problem in the off season a lot more than they did.

I really like the Halo's rotation this year, and they have one solid bullpen to boot.

Razz
    Razz's Avatar Become A Pro!

Surely he was joking, right?