Professor1215
    Improve Everyday
    Professor1215's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3212

Sample Size Theory

A apologize if this is going to make me look like a rookie, but I figured it's worth asking anyway. If you back test something enough times for it to be both profitable and "statistically significant", does it matter what you are back testing? By theory, could it be ANYTHING, as long as it was deemed "statistically significant"?
    Last edited by Professor1215; 04-11-13 at 11:33 PM.

thehoorse
    thehoorse's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Professor1215 View Post
    A apologize if this is going to make me look like a rookie, but I figured it's worth asking anyway. If you back test something enough times for it to be both profitable and "statistically significant", does it matter what you are back testing? By theory, could it be ANYTHING, as long as it was deemed "statistically significant"?
    Depends on what you are testing. In sports nothing is precisely constant. Some things stray farther from the mean while some don't (as much). Another thing you need to take into account when back testing is you will not get 100% accuracy due to line changes. You should know the volatility on line changes of what you are testing, and how it relates to end results and future expectancy.