bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Aikman, White lead list of Hall of Fame nominees

these two guys should get in on the first time ballots but, i doubt warren moon does

CANTON, Ohio (AP) -- Reggie White, a two-time NFL defensive player of the year who died last year at 43, heads a list of players, coaches and contributors eligible for induction in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

White is eligible for the first time along with quarterbacks Troy Aikman and Warren Moon. Other first-year eligible players include running back Thurman Thomas, wide receiver Andre Reed and offensive lineman Dermontti Dawson.

NFL Commissioner Paul Tagliabue and longtime owners Art Modell and Ralph Wilson are on the preliminary list that includes five former head coaches and 11 contributors.

A member of the NFL's 75th anniversary team, White was named to the Pro Bowl a record 13 straight times from 1986-98. He earned top defensive player honors in 1987 and 1998. He retired in 2000 as the career sacks leader with 198, a mark later passed by Bruce Smith.

White, who played with Philadelphia, Green Bay and Carolina, died on Dec. 26 in Cornelius, N.C.

From a preliminary list, Hall of Fame selectors will choose 25 candidates who will advance as semifinalists. That list will be trimmed to 13 candidates, who will join veterans committee nominees John Madden and Rayfield Wright as finalists.

The Class of 2006 will be announced on Feb. 4, the day before the Super Bowl in Detroit.

pags11
    pags11's Avatar Become A Pro!

I agree, both of them should be first ballot guys...

Senator7
    Senator7's Avatar Become A Pro!

No question that both are NFL greats and should be first ballot HOFers.

Senator 7

bigboydan

what do you guys feel about Warren Moon though. i mean i could have a strong case for this guy. i just help but to wonder what type of numbers he really could have put up, if he didn't play in the CFL for those years back in the 80's

SBR_John
    Wisky
    SBR_John's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 42225

Troy had great talent around him. As a big cowboy fan I'm not sure he is a first ballot guy in the group of Walter Payton and Jerry Rice. I'm just not sure.

Moon was a great QB. He should be considered.

bigboydan

john, the superbowl rings alone, should make him a first ballot HOF'er IMHOO

now lets talk about thurman thomas... i personaly put this guy in the same class as art monk.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4663

Quote Originally Posted by bigboydan
    john, the superbowl rings alone, should make him a first ballot HOF'er IMHOO

now lets talk about thurman thomas... i personaly put this guy in the same class as art monk.

First ballot:
    Akman
    White
    Moon - maybe

Thurman Thomas? Man, if he just got one ring durning that 4 superbowl run the bills had, then maybe. But he wasnt all that impressive to me. He was a good multipurpose back, but I dont think he really stood out. Not really sure on TT. Would like to see other members thoughts on him.

bigboydan

looker, jim kelly got in there without any rings, who not thurman ?

SBR_John
    Wisky

Aikman should get in the Hall but not 1st ballot. You saw when the talent around him was average then so was he. But guys like Payton, Rice, OJ, Staubach, these guys were great even when their teams had to reload.

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

Thomas was an awesome back. I loved watching him play.

Mr Nuts
    Mr Nuts's Avatar Become A Pro!

I'm a cowboys fan ,always been. Troy is not a hall of fame QB

SBR_John
    Wisky

I'm a cowboys fan ,always been. Troy is not a hall of fame QB
    Thats my thought exactly. He's a great QB but how good is he without Irving and Smith and the 2nd best offensive line in NFL history after the 72 Dolphins?

onlooker
    I'm still watching...

Quote Originally Posted by SBR_John
    the 2nd best offensive line in NFL history after the 72 Dolphins?
    With that being said, Emmitt shouldnt get in on 1st ballot either? He wouldnt of got the All time Rushing title without that O-line.

OldeTymePlaya
    OldeTymePlaya's Avatar Become A Pro!

I believe in being very selective for the HOF. Moon was great but not good enough for my HOF vote.

SBR_John
    Wisky

Emmitt played on rebuilding cowboy teams too. He had a good line most of the time but he was great. Was he better than OJ, Earl, Brown and Sweetness? No. One rung down but still solid Hall material imo.

pags11

I heard Aikman talk on TV today, he's a classy guy...he took all of the focus off of him making it and praise Reggie White...it was pretty cool...

bigboydan

He had a good line most of the time but he was great
    but barry sanders was much better. just think if barry sanders ran behind that line emmitt ran behind john, i could only imagin the numbers he could have put up there in dallas.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...

but barry sanders was much better. just think if barry sanders ran behind that line emmitt ran behind john, i could only imagin the numbers he could have put up there in dallas.
    Wasnt going to say, but thanks for saying it Dan.

bigboydan

well it's true looker, barry was better than emmitt.

SBR_John
    Wisky

Barry will get his day. The NFL is gonna hold quitting against him and they should to a small extent.

Was barry better than 1st rung Hall of Fame RB's like Brown, Earl and Sweetness? No way. Ask yourself this, if it was 4th and 2 on the goal line to win the Superbowl in what order would you give the ball to out of Barry, Brown, Earl or Sweetness? Well, you would probably take Barry out of the game and either one of the other 3 would be locks to get 2 yards and deliver 3 concussions on the play.

bigboydan

Ask yourself this, if it was 4th and 2 on the goal line to win the Superbowl in what order would you give the ball to out of Barry, Brown, Earl or Sweetness?

john, if it was 4th and 2 in the superbowl. i'd give the ball to william "the refridgerator" perry

onlooker
    I'm still watching...

john, if it was 4th and 2 in the superbowl. i'd give the ball to william "the refridgerator" perry
    Thats what I said.

pags11

that guy was a beast...didn't he just do some hot dog eating contest for publicity?...think I saw it on ESPN...

bigboydan

Quote Originally Posted by pags11
    that guy was a beast...didn't he just do some hot dog eating contest for publicity?...think I saw it on ESPN...

you probly did pags, he does all those events. hotdog,pies,boxings,ect,ect