bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Gary Sheffield got his wish i see

Yankees Ship Gary Sheffield to Tigers

NEW YORK — Gary Sheffield was traded from the New York Yankees to the Detroit Tigers on Friday for three pitching prospects.

Sheffield played for Tigers manager Jim Leyland and team president Dave Dombrowski in 1997, when Leyland managed the Marlins to the World Series title and Dombrowski was Florida's general manager.

"I'm more than happy to be reunited with guys that I'm familiar with," Sheffield said.

Detroit and New York reached a tentative agreement on the deal on Tuesday, and the Tigers had a three-day window to agree to a contract extension. Sheffield and the AL champions agreed Thursday night to a two-year extension through 2009, and Sheffield had a physical Friday.

"This is one of the ultimate bats in baseball and one of the ultimate people in baseball," Leyland said. "I have the utmost respect for him."

Detroit's current starting outfield has Craig Monroe in left, Curtis Granderson in center and Magglio Ordonez in right. Sheffield will be primarily a designated hitter but will see some time in the outfield, Leyland said.

"We have said all along that we wanted to add a big bat," Dombrowski said.

Sheffield said becoming a DH could prolong his career, and he's happy to rejoin Leyland and Dombrowski.

"They treat you like men," Sheffield said. "To reunite with them after 10 years is a blessing."

The Yankees exercised Sheffield's $13 million option last weekend to prevent him from becoming a free agent, and Sheffield said Wednesday the Yankees had asked him to provide a list of teams he wouldn't mind being traded to. At the time, Sheffield said "middle men" on the Yankees blocked him from speaking with George Steinbrenner and said that if the owner's health wasn't an issue, he was confident he'd stay with the Yankees for 2007.

"The only thing I'm disappointed about is I didn't bring them a world championship," Sheffield said. "I went for the big stage to win a ring."

Sheffield, who turns 38 on Nov. 18, has 455 homers in 19 seasons. He topped 34 homers and 120 RBIs in each of his first two seasons with the Yankees, but missed most of 2006 with a wrist injury from an April collision with Toronto's Shea Hillenbrand. New York acquired right fielder Bobby Abreu from Philadelphia in late July. When Sheffield returned in late September, the Yankees shifted him to first base.

New York gets right-handers Humberto Sanchez, Kevin Whelan and Anthony Claggett.

The 23-year-old Sanchez was a combined 10-6 with a 2.53 ERA and 129 strikeouts in 123 innings with Triple-A Toledo and Double-A Erie this year. Whelan, 22, was 4-1 with a 2.67 ERA and 27 saves for Class A Lakeland. Claggett, 22, was 7-2 with an 0.91 ERA and 14 saves for Class A West Michigan.
    I think it's pretty damn sad to see a player get his way like Sheffield did. However, it sure beats him committing errors on purpose like he did in the past and bragged about it.

moses millsap
    moses millsap's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1260

I'm sure Roider Sheff will get along great with Kenny Dirt.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4663

Quote Originally Posted by OWNED

Both not proven. So ease up.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by onlňóker

Both not proven. So ease up.

Taco defending these cheats

tacomax
    SBR Problem Poster 2007-08
    tacomax's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1167

Quote Originally Posted by OWNED
    MODS - jjgold has hijacked OWNED's account.

moses millsap
    moses millsap's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1260

I've been calling him Roider Sheff for ages. Looker can vouch for that one.

Willie Bee
    Willie Bee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 305

"They treat you like men," Sheffield said.
    Apparently even when it's not deserved, as is the case with Sheffield. The only thing that even remotely qualifies Sheffield as a man is his pecker, the organ with which he has done most of his thinking. Whatever chemistry and unity the Tigers had within their clubhouse this year is gone now. Hope he blows a knee out on the first day of Spring Training.

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

His arrogant ass won't do anything in Detroit. All of those short porch homers will turn into harmless fly balls.

RickySteve
    SBR is a criminal organization
    RickySteve's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 187

Quote Originally Posted by Illusion
    His arrogant ass won't do anything in Detroit. All of those short porch homers will turn into harmless fly balls.
    Sheffield is right-handed, Einstein. Yankee Stadium is one of the toughest parks for righty hitters. Maybe you were referring to the 15 years he spent crushing balls in such hitting havens as Chavez Ravine, Jack Murphy and Dolphin Stadium?

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

Let me get this straight, you think Yankee stadium is a harder park to homer in than Detroit? Left field Yankee stadium is still a short porch compared to Detroit. I bolded Detroit to clear any confusion you may have.
    Last edited by Illusion; 11-12-06 at 01:00 AM. Reason: spelling

RickySteve

You're right, Sheffield will hit 10 HR tops, if healthy, going from one park with a deep left field to another slightly deeper one, even though he's played almost his entire highly successful career in the most difficult hitting parks in baseball. Never mind Detroit's lineup in '06 was almost excusively right-handed and still among the league leaders in HR.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4663

Seems we have a little debate going on here.

Willie Bee
    Willie Bee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 305

Detroit's most prominent right-handed hitters and their Home/Away home run splits...

PLAYER . . . H . . A
    I.Rodriguez. 5 . . 8
    B.Inge . . .12 . .15
    C.Guillen. .10 . . 9
    C.Monroe . .12 . .16
    M.Ordońez. . 8 . .16
    M.Thames . . 5 . .11
    C.Shelton. . 5 . .11

* Carlos Guillen, the only one on this list who hit more at home than on the road, is a switch-hitter. His season split for homers hit from the right side versus homers hit from the left was 5/14.

RickySteve

Gary Sheffield is clearly washed up, you clowns were right.