Bread
    Living corpse
    Bread's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 37

Fireworks in The Bronx.

The Fourth of July is all about fireworks, and there should be plenty of them this weekend when the New York Yankees host the Toronto Blue Jays at the new launching pad in the Bronx.

The Fourth of July weekend is all about fireworks. I’m not talking about the kind that your mullet-wearing neighbor sets off in the middle of the street every year. I’m talking about explosives in the ballpark.

On this weekend in particular, why would I risk boring myself to tears by watching the Astros-Giants series? I’m in no mood for 1-0 finals, with the sole run being scored on a passed ball. There is a time and place for those games, and this is not it.

I’m looking for explosive outbursts in my account balances, and that’s why I’m eyeing the Blue Jays-Yankees series. Why battle the crowds for parking and the best spot with a view and subject yourself to deafening decibels of Lee Greenwood songs? I suggest that you sit at home with me, avoid all police check points, and enjoy the fireworks at Yankee Stadium.

When these two met in May, the Under hit in two of the three games. And then on Friday afternoon in the Bronx, New York took a 4-2 final. With what these teams are capable of, one has to believe that at least two of their remaining games will be slugfests. The matchups are as follows:

Roy Halladay (10-2, 2.56) vs. Chien-Ming Wang (1-6, 10.06)
    Saturday, Jul 4, 1:05 p.m. (ET)

Scott Richmond (6-5, 3.69) vs. Chamberlain (4-2, 3.89)
    Sunday, Jul 5, 1:05 p.m.

Ricky Romero (6-3, 2.85) vs. Andy Pettitte (8-3, 4.25)
    Monday, Jul 6, 1:05 p.m.

Between both teams you’re getting about 10½ runs a game. New York is behind only Tampa Bay, crossing the plate 435 times while Toronto is sixth scoring 398 times. Marco Scutaro and Johnny Damon set the pace as they are tied for second in runs scored. I have no idea how Damon is still putting together respectable seasons. Just a couple of years ago he looked like someone reattached Ted Williams’ head and put him in pinstripes. But I’ll give credit where it’s due.

The Jays lead the league with 175 doubles. Adam Lind (25), Scutaro (24) and Scott Rolen (23) are all among the league leaders. Nothing starts or continues a rally like a two-bagger. Nothing ends a rally like a tea bagger. That’s why I never pass out at parties anymore.

Enough of the small talk already. When it comes to fireworks, the bigger the better. And both of these teams can smack the long ball. New York leads the majors with 119 HR on the year. Toronto is eighth with 93. Throw in the fact that they will be playing at the new Yankee Stadium, which is comparable to trying to hit the ball out of a kiddie pool at times, and there should be more than a few outfield souvenirs offered up this weekend. Rangers Ballpark in Arlington has seen 109 balls reach the bleachers, compared to Yankee Stadium’s league high 120.

Toronto has a few players who are right in the middle of career-type years. Lind has cranked eight homers over the past month. Rolen’s .332 BA is sixth best in baseball. Second baseman Aaron Hill leads the team with 19 HR and 56 RBI.

For New York, Derek Jeter is putting together yet another fine season, and after a slow start, super free agent signing Mark Teixeira has been fulfilling his promise. His 20 HR and 61 RBI give the Yankees that offensive firepower that they were hoping for when they bought…er…signed him in the offseason.

I realize that it is always dangerous to play Overs in any game that Roy Halladay is involved in. But when the opposing pitcher is Chien-Ming Wang, one of the worst starting pitchers of 2009, it becomes much more acceptable. Wang has looked more like Artie Lange for most of the season. If Artie were from Taiwan, of course.

Besides Wang, all of the starting pitchers have enjoyed varying success this season. But before you sweat Ricky Romero’s 2.85 ERA, or Andy Pettitte’s eight wins, keep in mind that most of the fun may not begin until it’s time for the bullpens to do their thing.

Both bullpens rank in league’s bottom half. Toronto’s 4.05 ERA ranks 17th, and New York’s 4.19 sits at 21st. But if you enjoy late game fireworks, check out the 44 homers given up by the Yankees’ relief pitchers. Cleveland has the next worst mark, and at only 37, that’s still seven less than what N.Y. has yielded. No low scores will be safe with these arms to call upon in clutch situations. Oh goodie goodie!
    Last edited by sbr.rodrigo; 12-19-14 at 10:39 AM.

Big Fundamental
    Big Fundamental's Avatar Become A Pro!

Beautiful write-up..thanks for this! But Roy gives up 3-4 runs MAX over 7-9 strong..meaning Wang + Both Pen need to give up 6-7 for the over to cash. Possible, but not likely IMO

Bread
    Living corpse

BF....I understand the dangers of playing Over with Halladay, but Christ, if Toronto doesn't score 5 off Wang before he gets pulled in the 4th, I'll be shocked.

Big Fundamental
    Big Fundamental's Avatar Become A Pro!

I think you're going to cover this Bread. Halliday isn't himself. BOL! I hope the jays win a high scoring affair as i'm on the jays

Bread
    Living corpse

Yea Halladay having an off day definitely helped.

Bread
    Living corpse

2-0

BobHarvey
    BobHarvey's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 380

Bread,

Very good writeup!