Willie Bee
    Willie Bee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 305

Sheffield whines

What a putz! A greedy, non-team playing wimp of a human being. Would love to see him dealt to Kansas City or Pittsburgh, though I realize that ain't gonna' happen.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2639001
    NEW YORK -- Gary Sheffield was told Wednesday that the New York Yankees will pick up his $13 million option for next season, according to a newspaper report.

Sheffield said he was hoping to test the free-agent market and get another three-year contract, USA Today said in a story on its Web site.

"This will not work, this will not work at all," Sheffield told the newspaper. "I don't want to play first base a year for them. I will not do that."

Sheffield, sidelined from May 29 to Sept. 22 with an injured left wrist that required surgery, hit .298 with six homers and 25 RBIs in 39 games this season. He played first base for the first time in his major league career after he returned in September.

"I don't know what they're [Yankees] going to do," Sheffield said. "Maybe they picked it up just to trade me. If they do that, if I just [go] to a team for one year, there's going to be a problem."

A message was left by The Associated Press seeking comment from Sheffield's agent, Rufus Williams.

It's possible the Yankees are positioning themselves to trade Sheffield, as several teams are reportedly interested in a player of his type. The New York Daily News reported Wednesday that at least a half-dozen teams -- the Angels, Orioles, Cubs, Giants, Astros and Rangers -- are in the market for a power-hitting corner outfielder, and that doesn't include the Red Sox and Mets, who could also use the help. The Yankees can now prevent Sheffield from going to such rivals without getting anything in return.

One GM reportedly called Yankees GM Brian Cashman last week about Sheffield. "To be honest," he said, "I was kind of put off, leaving me to believe he's got at least a couple of teams really pushing him hard [for Sheffield]."

gummo
    Bearcats
    gummo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1195

You can pretty much count on him being on the DL for half the season no matter who he plays for.

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

What an asshole...crying over $13 million and having to play first.

tacomax
    SBR Problem Poster 2007-08
    tacomax's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1167

With someone like Manny or Ortiz, you wouldn't really mind them coming out with stuff like this since they're on the top of their game. But coming from a soon-to-be 38 year old who spent most of the season on the DL, with his position in the outfield gone to Abreu and who plays first base worse than my mother I really think he should shut up and be grateful for whatever he gets.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Maybe he wasn't really bitching at the Yankees at all. Maybe he just wanted more money, because of he's sick of getting short changed by the insurance company that pays his salary everytime he's on the DL.