Dexter
    Update your status
    Dexter's Avatar Become A Pro!

Stephen Strasburg - Next Phenom

for any fantasy players out there - the must have rookie for 2010. dude sits at 97, tops out at 103 with curt schilling like control. he has a ++ slider, and a changeup thats in the works. if he develops that into a ++ pitch the way lincecum did, he will be a beast at the next level. he's also very intelligent (important for a pitcher) as he was touted by ivy league schools out of high school. with 3 years of college under his belt, he should make an asap impact for whoever is lucky enough to get him at #1.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=4153903

jellobiafra
    jellobiafra's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 233

Question is - Are the Nats going to pony up and pay that man his money? I doubt it.

Hey Dex, are you familiar with Tommy Hanson?

VegasDave
    Philosophy Frog
    VegasDave's Avatar Become A Pro!

Tommy Hanson is going to awesome too, jello, I've been teasing his arrival to the bigs on my show regularly.

Strasburg looks out of this world. He's going to be DRAFTED in fantasy leagues, not a waiver-wire pickup.

Dexter
    Update your status

his mechanics look great, but a slider is always stressful on the arm - hopefully he stays healthy.

TINSTAPP? Brien Taylor?

Dexter
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by jellobiafra View Post
    Question is - Are the Nats going to pony up and pay that man his money? I doubt it.

Hey Dex, are you familiar with Tommy Hanson?
    oh yeah - i drafted him and am waiting patiently with him on my bench. big time power pitcher with a sick 12/6 hammer.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/minorleagues/...top&pid=462102

cocknocker
    cocknocker's Avatar Become A Pro!

The Nats have ooodles of cap space. The will be able to afford him. If they had kept Redding hw ould bevery complimentary with Lannan in tow. Nice 1-2-3 punch, But the Nats let Redding get away to the Metropolitans....

jellobiafra

It's not matter of cap space, it's a matter of cheap ownership. They wouldn't pay their 1st round pick last year. The dispute ended up being over about $1mm difference in what he wanted and what they were offering, and the Nats wouldn't come to meet his demands. They let the kid go. It gives them 2 first rounders this year, but speculation locally is that they may end up doing the same thing w/ Strasburg -- low balling him until they are forced to let him go. The WAS organization is really becoming a laughingstock around league circles.

Dexter
    Update your status

College pitchers selected No. 1 overall: Pitcher Team Year Wins David Price Rays 2007 0 Luke Hochevar Royals 2006 6 Bryan Bullington Pirates 2002 0 Matt Anderson Tigers 1997 15 Kris Benson Pirates 1996 69 Paul Wilson Mets 1994 40 Ben McDonald Orioles 1989 78 Andy Benes Padres 1988 155 Tim Belcher Twins 1983 146 Mike Moore Mariners 1981 161 Floyd Bannister Astros 1976 134

*not encouraging for strasburg, but his pinpoint control is what separates him from past #1 overall picks.

Dexter
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by jellobiafra View Post
    It's not matter of cap space, it's a matter of cheap ownership. They wouldn't pay their 1st round pick last year. The dispute ended up being over about $1mm difference in what he wanted and what they were offering, and the Nats wouldn't come to meet his demands. They let the kid go. It gives them 2 first rounders this year, but speculation locally is that they may end up doing the same thing w/ Strasburg -- low balling him until they are forced to let him go. The WAS organization is really becoming a laughingstock around league circles.
    how is it determined who gets the first pick? - i always thought it was just who the worst team is record wise...pretty sure thats right, but not 100%

Dexter
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter View Post
    his mechanics look great, but a slider is always stressful on the arm - hopefully he stays healthy.

TINSTAPP? Brien Taylor?
    actually looks more like a slurve than just a straight hard slider...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pVyw2JlloM

lol - 97 with tons of movement - check out these fastballs and how much late movement they have....this guy looks unreal

jellobiafra

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter View Post
    how is it determined who gets the first pick? - i always thought it was just who the worst team is record wise...pretty sure thats right, but not 100%

Not sure. I think the Nats had the 1st pick last year and that's the guy they didn't sign. Don't quote me on that, though. I also think that if you don't sign your guy you get a supplemental pick at the same spot next season so that would be the 1st pick this year. Again, not certain about this. I live in the Nats broadcast area and the local talk out of DC is that Strasburg is theirs if they want him, but there's already a lot of hand wringing about whether they will come off the cash it'll take to sign him.

Slanina
    Slanina's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5895

I've been following him since this story hit the mainstream a few months ago. Or atleast that's when I heard about this kid. Nothing is prettier than a 100+ MPH fastball. This is why Nolan Ryan still tops my favorite pitcher of all time.

Dexter
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by Slanina View Post
    I've been following him since this story hit the mainstream a few months ago. Or atleast that's when I heard about this kid. Nothing is prettier than a 100+ MPH fastball. This is why Nolan Ryan still tops my favorite pitcher of all time.
    a 100+ mph fastball with movement