SBRforum Staff
    SBRforum Staff's Avatar Become A Pro!

Ben Burns: Play Padres vs. Dodgers

Ben Burns: Play Padres vs. Dodgers

Game Time: 9/18/2006 10:10:00 PM (EST)
    By: Ben Burns

It's a strong pitching matchup in LA today where the Dodgers host the Padres. And San Diego, behind their ace Jake Peavy, should get the better of Brad Penny and the Bums.

Brad Penny has a better record than Jake Peavy, but its Peavy who has been the better of the two pitchers recently.

Over his last three starts, Peavy has recorded a sizzling 1.66 ERA and 0.831 WHIP. Penny also comes off a strong outing. However, he was roughed up in both his previous starts, giving him a 5.50 ERA and 1.500 WHIP his last three outings overall.

Additionally, Penny has gone 0-2 with an ugly 9.00 ERA in three starts against the Padres this season, allowing 15 earned runs in 15 innings. That brings him to 3-6 with a 5.94 ERA over his career vs. San Diego.

On the other hand, Peavy is 6-1 with a stellar 2.09 ERA vs. the Dodgers. Finally, the Padres are an extremely healthy 13-2 their last 15 visits to LA. Lets back Peavy and the visitors!

Play: Padres
    Last edited by SBR Jonelyn; 07-21-15 at 03:51 PM. Reason: link does not work

Bulldog
    Bulldog's Avatar Become A Pro!

I like the Dodgers to bounce back from a tough loss yesterday.

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

I happen to like the Padres. Peavy has been pitching better as of late.

Ganchrow
    Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
    Ganchrow's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1088

Also, Peavey is a guy who is particularly affected by pitch counts and days of rest, and he is coming off of a start where he only threw 59 pitches. His statistical likelihood of a 0- or 1-run outing is relatively high.

maxpower
    maxpower's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by ganchrow
    Also, Peavey is a guy who is particularly affected by pitch counts and days of rest, and he is coming off of a start where he only threw 59 pitches. His statistical likelihood of a 0- or 1-run outing is relatively high.
    peavy is an automatic play for me too ,today

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

I'm not sold on Peavy being the right side in this game tonight. I feel it's going to depend on who's going to catch this game tonight. Theres something about Piazza's pitch calling that breaks Peavy's flow in the game.

Bulldog
    Bulldog's Avatar Become A Pro!

Interesting bbd...
    They will sure miss Piazza's bat if he's not there though...
    Still like the Dodgers behind Penny tonight...