Allure
    Allure's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15121

Why do the Yanks keep Hughes in the rotation?

He is by far the worst 'pitcher' in this league and is easily one of the worst to ever play in this game.

So why they still keep losing games on purpose?

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner
    No coincidences's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16541

I watched him pitch on Saturday -- he misses his spots as consistently as any pitcher I've seen. He makes horrible decisions when he's ahead in the count. Long story short, I think he's a meathead who doesn't have the baseball IQ to be a SP at this level.

BernardMadoff
    Sam Hurd +3000
    BernardMadoff's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 280

I had Twins score first, Twins ML, and Twins TT over 4, looking good so far. Hughes and Samardzija are just about auto fade for me.

blowseq
    Status? What status?
    blowseq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 96

i've been asking the same question! Unreal..

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner
    No coincidences's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16541

Quote Originally Posted by BernardMadoff View Post
    I had Twins score first, Twins ML, and Twins TT over 4, looking good so far. Hughes and Samardzija are just about auto fade for me.
    A lot of faith in Swarzak (and the Twins' pen, because I can't see him getting past the 4th or so).

Allure

Always the same. Whenever this dikkhead starts the game is way over after just 1 inning.

But everyone seems to be happy with that, otherwise they would have done something.

yisman
    yisman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 246162

I've been saying it since 2010, they never should've made him a starter. It's amazing that he's made so many starts considering how poor he's been since May 13, 2010.

Allure

Not to mention he was -200 today.

- fukking 200. Even Yankees +200 would have had NO value.

BernardMadoff
    Sam Hurd +3000

Quote Originally Posted by No coincidences View Post
    A lot of faith in Swarzak (and the Twins' pen, because I can't see him getting past the 4th or so).
    Its more of no faith in Hughes and I feel the Twins would try and sneak out of the Boogie Down with a win before heading into Tampa.

BernardMadoff
    Sam Hurd +3000

Cot dang, should have made a play on the total.

BernardMadoff
    Sam Hurd +3000

I bet Nova must shake his head and say their giving this guy 3.2 mil for this, just wait till my contract comes up.

Allure

What? He makes 3.2 mil?

BernardMadoff
    Sam Hurd +3000

Quote Originally Posted by Allure View Post
    What? He makes 3.2 mil?
    Not a penny less.

5teamparlay
    WINNING!!!
    5teamparlay's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1223

He is by far the worst 'pitcher' in this league and is easily one of the worst to ever play in this game.

With this record at home, I'm sure they can use him:
    • Yankees are 23-7 in Hughes' last 30 home starts...

SASH
    SASH's Avatar Become A Pro!

ummmm no, this poster allure is so ignorant at times I feel embarrassed for him. The yankees have an impeccable record in home games he has started for them. Definately not the worst pitcher in the league and definately not 1 of the worst of all time, come on.Obviously not everything the yankees hoped for but you being overly dramatic. In my opinion the last contract he signed back in January of this year was a clear indication by the ball club that he needs to get his act together because it was only a 1 year contract. Also, we have to remember the guy is only 25 and even though he's been in the league since '07 he may be 1 of those guys that just hasnt hit his stride yet. I can give you a long list of pitchers dont click in the league till they get into their late 20's. He has all the tools and raw ability to be an absolute phenom, he just hasnt found what works for him in the bigs, as many pitchers before him have gone through the same thing. Obviously the yankees and many in the public see alot of upside and ability in him and arent ready to part ways with that just yet

Sawyer
    Sawyer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6650

Why do the Yanks keep Hughes in the rotation?

To help bettors who bet OVER

taxe91
    taxe91's Avatar Become A Pro!

who's supposed to replace him?

crackerjack
    crackerjack's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4099

Pineda. Oh wait....

taxe91
    taxe91's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by crackerjack View Post
    Pineda. Oh wait....
    exactly. if they sign roy oswalt later in the season then hughes will probably get the boot.

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32303

I have a buddy who works for the Astros in the front office.

He has told me scouts say Hughes has the worst work ethics out of any pitcher in the game today.
    He hates to do the work between starts, feels he doesn't need to, he half asses the work in between start he needs to do (that every pitcher needs to do) Love him or hate him Clemens was a workaholic. Clemens was a work out beast, he tried to reach out to Hughes and help with the work ethics, Hughes wouldn't listen to Clemens either.

Hughes has a million dollar arm, with a ten cent brain.
    He refuses to take direction from coaches. Hughes basically told Ron Guidry a couple of years ago in spring training when he tried to coach him "never heard of ya pal, you are you to tell me.............." (not exactly, but he shunned Guidry)
    Hughes is flat out not likeable in the dugout, he has an irritating personality (many have said this)

I know I have said this on other baseball message boards, I think I have said here before too.

The New York Yankee brass, Cashman, George (when he was alive, God bless his soul) are in love with tall flame throwing fastball type or pitchers.
    In other words, the Yankee brass thinks fastball pitchers are sexy so to speak.
    Yanks had many 'chips' 8 years ago with Kennedy, Hughes, and others.

Consultants said at the time when it was time to trade one of the three kids, that it would behoove them to keep Kennedy, I have always said this too, I'm a baseball junkie, I watch things too, I got to the minor league games here in Ct. I read Baseball America........ but I digress, but getting back on point here, consultants said Kennedy may not have the fastball Hughes has, but all his four pitches are + pitches, Kennedy was more of a complete pitcher, better approach all around, hell Kennedy has been described as "a poor mans Greg Maddux"

Cashman fell in love with Hughes 98 mph heater (which he can't hit anymore even on the slow gun)
    Dealt Kennedy despite what the other independent baseball minds were telling him.

I got into many arguments with my Yankee fans that go back to 2007, I said years ago, Hughes is a jerk, like Kirk Gibson was a jerk, unlike Hughes at least Kirk delivered. I said even 6 years ago, and others who know something about the game agreed, Kennedy is a keeper, get rid of Hughes while he was 'hot' so to speak.

Now Kennedy is having a stellar career in Phoenix, and don't think he isn't bitter either towards the Yankees, he is, and now you couldn't get a box of rocks for Hughes on the market.

In Hughes six year career his career ERA is 4.58 His WHIP ratio is 1.32 those, are barely mediocre back of the rotation #4 starter numbers. Those numbers are not good.
    His postseason numbers are atrocious.
    He's not a money pitcher, never has been, never will be.

I don't want to hear about his 18-8 2007 season anymore that Joe Girardi, and blowhards like Michael Kay and John Sterling keep bringing up.
    First off, won/loss records for starters are so misleading, Hughes won 18 games with smoke and mirrors.

Phil Hughes in 2010 got 9.60 runs per start in support.
    That's not a typo, for every start Hughes made in 2010 Hughes got on the average 9.60 runs from the offense.
    NINE POINT SIX ZERO !!! Ray Charles can win 18 games with 9.60 runs a game in support.
    To put it in perspective the next highest run support in 2010 in the AL that season was 7.97 that Blue Jay Brett Cecil got.
    Than Jeremy Bonderman and Wade Davis were next with about 7.5 runs a start for support.

Like I said, even 2010 was a fluke season, done with smoke and mirrors.
    Hughes was hot for the first few months in 2010, he lost six of those eight after the all star break, the games he won after the AS break, he was giving up 5 and 6 runs, but the Yanks were giving him 10 an 11 runs.
    Hughes was wearing down after the AS break that year, like he does every year, because he doesn't put in the work.

Last year, 2011, almost to the day, Phil Hughes put on the DL with a 'tired arm'

What 25 year old stud, very good health, goes on the DL with a tired arm in APRIL !!!!!!!!!!
    One more time, he won't do the work, he's pig headed, he thinks he knows it all, won't listen, the kid is a PoS, and I am not the only one who thinks/knows this.
    Listen to how Joe Girardi (who I am not a fan of either) when he speaks of Hughes, his words are very guarded.

Allure

Quote Originally Posted by SASH View Post
    ummmm no, this poster allure is so ignorant at times I feel embarrassed for him. The yankees have an impeccable record in home games he has started for them. Definately not the worst pitcher in the league and definately not 1 of the worst of all time, come on.Obviously not everything the yankees hoped for but you being overly dramatic. In my opinion the last contract he signed back in January of this year was a clear indication by the ball club that he needs to get his act together because it was only a 1 year contract. Also, we have to remember the guy is only 25 and even though he's been in the league since '07 he may be 1 of those guys that just hasnt hit his stride yet. I can give you a long list of pitchers dont click in the league till they get into their late 20's. He has all the tools and raw ability to be an absolute phenom, he just hasnt found what works for him in the bigs, as many pitchers before him have gone through the same thing. Obviously the yankees and many in the public see alot of upside and ability in him and arent ready to part ways with that just yet
    Then go ahead and keep betting on him and give us faders better numbers.

Guy was horrible last year, is even worse this year -- but yeah, I'm ignorant, you're the smart. He might win a few as the Yanks offense is simply a powerhouse, doesn't change the fact that he can't be trusted and simply sucks.

If you nonetheless have faith in him, please feel free to bet on him. Us faders will appreciate it.

stevenash

^
    I'm a die hard Yankee fan, I fade Hughes in spots, I have no problem fading my team when he starts in certain match ups, I can sleep just fine. I am first a fan of winning wagers, a BASEBALL fan second, a Yankee fan third.

yisman
    yisman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 246162

Hughes in 2010 pitched well for his first 6 starts. That's it. After May 13, he was pretty bad.

stevenash

JJ Hardy just took Hughes to the woodshed. Man, did he crush that meatball