Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

NL Wild Card...Who Takes It?

What an awesome race this is!!! You have 10 teams, that's right 10 within 5.5 of the lead. Who will take this one down?

Standings through game played Sunday August 27th, 2006

Team W L PCT GB
    Cincinnati 67 64 .511 -
    San Diego 66 64 .508 ½
    Philadelphia 65 64 .504 1
    San Francisco 65 66 .496 2
    Florida 63 66 .488 3
    Arizona 63 67 .485 3½
    Houston 63 68 .481 4
    Milwaukee 62 68 .477 4½
    Atlanta 61 68 .473 5
    Colorado 61 69 .469 5½

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

well, i picked houston from the start, so i guess i'll stick with that pick.

Bulldog
    Bulldog's Avatar Become A Pro!

Phillies seem like the team to beat here...
    I think they have a far better team than both Cinci and SD

EBone
    Washington State +140 over Wichita State
    EBone's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 158

As crazy as this sounds, I think the Braves and Rockies are the best teams out of that group. I'll stick with the Braves. I think they have it in them to make it but they're gonna have to reel off an incredible streak for that to happen.

E

Willie Bee
    Willie Bee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 305

I'd like to think that Dan was right, but I know better

Man, who the hell really knows, huh? And you might as well throw the effin' Dodgers on this list as well. HUGE series between LA and Cincy opens tonight out at Chavez Ravine. Plus the Padres-Diamondbacks in Arizona. Not to mention the Astros hosting the Brewers starting tomorrow. Got to think the loser of that Mil-Hou series is out (if both teams aren't already).

I really don't think it will be anyone from the West because they are going to spend the next five weeks beating the snot outta' each other with 83 wins taking that division.

Aw hell, maybe BBD's right. If Houston can take four of six from the Phillies in the next couple of weeks, maybe the Astros will shock the bejesus out of me once again.

I will say this: There's a lot of incentive to beat the Astros the rest of the way, partly because they're the defending NL champs but mostly because NOBODY wants to see Oswalt-Pettitte-Clemens in the postseason.

Bulldog
    Bulldog's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by EBone
    As crazy as this sounds, I think the Braves and Rockies are the best teams out of that group. I'll stick with the Braves. I think they have it in them to make it but they're gonna have to reel off an incredible streak for that to happen.
    E
    I would love to think that the Braves can make it. But they have 3 of their starting pitchers on the DL (not counting Hampton who has been out all season) and the bullpen has improved but its still far from solid.

Philly signed Jeff Conine yesterday.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?...mlb&id=2564060
    Nice pickup, a veteran outfielder with plenty of playoff experience. Should have some playing time now that Rowand is gone...
    I think they have the best chance of winning it
    Last edited by Bulldog; 08-28-06 at 04:34 PM.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

look at all those NL west teams beating up on themselves over the next few weeks. not to mention the fact that the reds have to face the dodgers this week. you have gotta assume that the astros can jump right back into the thick of things willie.