View Poll Results: Who's the best catcher in baseball???

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mauer

1 12.50%
  • Rodriguez

1 12.50%
  • Posada

2 25.00%
  • McCann

1 12.50%
  • Martinez

0 0%
  • Estrada

0 0%
  • Varitek

3 37.50%
  • Pierzinski

0 0%
  • LoDuca

0 0%
  • OTHER

0 0%
    Bulldog
    Bulldog's Avatar Become A Pro!

Who's the Best Catcher in Baseball????

Read a nice writeup at mlb.com about the subject and wanted to hear your thoughts.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/a...=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Although Mauer is the obvious choice, I would like you to answer thinking from a who would you take for your team next year perspective...

I'll go with Posada with Pudge a close second but I think my boy McCann is for real.

Votes for the Doug Mirabelli/Javy Lopez duo, Sandy Alomar, and Sal Fassano and Henry Blanco are welcome...

Bulldog
    Bulldog's Avatar Become A Pro!

There should be an option for Paul LoDuca and an option for other but I was too technologically handicapped to include them...

Willie Bee
    Willie Bee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 305

I added the extra options to the poll for you, Bulldog.

The best all-around catcher today is Pudge Rodriguez. Sorry to all of the Posada and Tek fans, but it's not even close in my opinion based on everything that Rodriguez has accomplished up to now. Of all the catchers I've seen in my lifetime, Pudge ranks second to Johnny Bench.

Would I pick Rodriguez if I was starting a team from scratch today? Probably not. Younger guys like Mauer, Martinez and McCann might get my nod if that was the object of the exercise. But for the past 15 seasons, there's none better than Pudge.

Razz
    Razz's Avatar Become A Pro!

Like willie says, the best catcher I have ever seen is Pudge. But, right now, for this season and the upcoming seasons, the answer is:

B-Mac. Always gets the big hit, and he'll be an All-Star for years to come. Plus, he came up huge in Game 2 against Clemens and the Astros in one of my biggest bets ever.

Who is Martinez? Victor? He is the worst defensive catcher I have ever seen, and will be playing 1st base next year. Piazza should be on the list before him.
    Varitek is the most valuable player on a team that includes Curt Schilling, David Ortiz, and Manny Ramirez, so I can make a case to give him second position, even though Mauer is already the best catcher in the AL.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

I would go with Varitek on this one guys.

he's the one player on that red sox team that holds it all togather. I know he might not have the best offensive numbers out there at all, but we all know he can call one hell of a game behind the plate.

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

I will also go with Varitek. He's a decent hitter that calls a great game.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4663

Quote Originally Posted by Illusion
    I will also go with Varitek. He's a decent hitter that calls a great game.
    Just look at what happen to the Red Sox since he went on the DL. They have fallen apart. Even though I dont like Varitek all that much, he is at the top of my list.

McCann is a fastly moving up to the top. Him and Mauer will be in the headlines for quite sometime.

scottric
    scottric's Avatar Become A Pro!

Hard to say because it so difficult to determine what "best" means. Also it depends if you mean this year or over time.

I think overall it has to be Varitek for the reasons already stated. He's the Captain and runs that team. His offensive skills are on their way down but he could certainly play for a while (barring injuries of course). He'll probably make a great manager, like a lot of catchers do.

But, I think going back to Bulldog's question, it really does boil down to Mauer and McCann. Victor Martinez has greatly disappointed so hopefully he'll be back because he does have some talent. I would take Mauer because I think he might have more upside in terms of power and a greater offensive environment in the AL. Also if the Twins wanted to rest him at catcher for a day, putting him in the DH slot makes a lot of sense.

I do give honorable mention to LoDuca for his choice in women, albeit mixing adultery and gambling is probably never good for divorce proceedings.

Willie Bee
    Willie Bee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 305

I'm not sure how Victor Martinez has disappointed coming off his first two seasons in a full time role and batting over .300 this year. His power has dropped since earlier this season, but he's still in line to pop 15+ taters and drive in 90 runs. I do agree his defense isn't going to be included on a lot of instructional videos. But then, neither is Mike Piazza's and that won't stop Piazza from having a plaque hung in Cooperstown.

Also don't know about this 'calls a great game' stuff for any of the catchers. That was long a knock against Pudge Rodriguez, yet back in his days as a Ranger, 80% of the time he was looking to his right to get the call from his manager. Jason Varitek is a leader, no doubt. And like Brad Ausmus in Houston, Tek has meant a lot to the pitchers he's worked with in Boston. But even when guys like Varitek and Ausmus aren't looking into the dugout for a specific pitch call, they're still working off a pregame plan that is put forth by coaches, scouts and the starting pitcher that day.