SBRforum Staff
    SBRforum Staff's Avatar Become A Pro!

Rays and A's Go Under

By: Ben Burns
    http://www.benburns.com
    8/11/2006 7:44:43 AM

Given the recent history of the young starters, Kazmir and Haren, tonight's Tampa-Oakland matchup figures to be a low-scoring affair.

Yesterday's winner on Texas makes it three straight. Tonight, we'll switch things up a little and take a look at a 'total.'

Scott Kazmir hasn't pitched since July 23rd and may be on a limited pitch count this evening. However, he should be solid while in the game. Kazmir has a 3.22 ERA his last four starts and a 3.36 ERA for the season. The left-hander pitched well in defeating the A's here back on 05/05, allowing just one run through 5-2/3 innings. In four career appearances against Oakland, Kazmir is 2-0 and has a solid 3.32 ERA.

Meanwhile, Dan Haren has a stellar 1.69 ERA in two career starts vs. Tampa Bay and has also been dominant recently. Over his last three starts, Haren is 3-0 with an excellent 1.80 ERA. Not surprisingly, the 'under' was a perfect 3-0 in those three games. That makes it six of Haren's last seven starts that have stayed below the number.

Kazmir has also been on the low side of the number lately as he has seen the 'under' go 6-2 his last eight starts. Additionally, we find the 'under' at 15-9 (5-1 L6) when the A's face a southpaw. Lets look for more of the same this evening. Consider playing on the UNDER.

PLAY: Under

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

i can see this under cashing tonight, although i tend to lean twords playing the d'rays in this spot myself though.

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

Haren has been super sharp recently and should hold the Devil Rays down. I think Oakland will get to Kazmir, but the under should be a safe play anyways.