PsychoQ
    PsychoQ's Avatar Become A Pro!

Betting Baseball

I just started betting this year and i was wondering how hard it is to bet baseball or if it easy hell i don't really know. Theirs almost 200 games to i guess there is a lot of money to be made rite?

coldhardfacts
    coldhardfacts's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoQ View Post
    I just started betting this year and i was wondering how hard it is to bet baseball or if it easy hell i don't really know. Theirs almost 200 games to i guess there is a lot of money to be made rite?
    Yes, there is. But you have to pick your spots very judiciously.

c-rok
    c-rok's Avatar Become A Pro!

baseball is the second easiest sport to beat after football

B1GER1C828
    Bostoneric
    B1GER1C828's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 318

Quote Originally Posted by c-rok View Post
    baseball is the second easiest sport to beat after football

HAHAHAHAHAHAH

well football is considered the hardest sport 2 bet because how good the lines are made

but anyhow, baseball can b easy, make sure u look for good lines and bullpens are the key!

ryanspeer2001
    Punta Cana '15
    ryanspeer2001's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 25

I find there to be 2 consistent and dependable factors that make betting on baseball a bit easier.

1. Bet against public favorites. Yankees, Red Sox, Mets ML are almost always off 20-40+pts off the real value.

2. Playing the better bullpen + home dogs can be steady profit. If you have a home team that is +125 against a non-elite road team check out the bullpens because very often a game can be decided late by the better bullpen when two mediocre teams are playing.

smitch124
    smitch124's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1547

Quote Originally Posted by ryanspeer2001 View Post

2. Playing the better bullpen + home dogs can be steady profit. If you have a home team that is +125 against a non-elite road team check out the bullpens because very often a game can be decided late by the better bullpen when two mediocre teams are playing.
    Ryan what info do you rely on to compare bullpens? and do you have a way to quantify how much work the bullpen has had lately in your evaluation?

ryanspeer2001
    Punta Cana '15

Quote Originally Posted by smitch124 View Post
    Ryan what info do you rely on to compare bullpens? and do you have a way to quantify how much work the bullpen has had lately in your evaluation?

I rely on a bevy of factors.

First things first before even checking out BABIP and ERA and WHIP I look at how many innings pitched by both bullpens in the last 72 hours. I measure in time not in games played recently to get an idea of how rested they are as a unit.

Secondly I examine the starting pitcher to get an idea of how long I can expect them to last before the bullpen is used. Its not uncommon to have a stellar bullpen not get used because that clubs 1 good starter regularly goes 7+ innings. Which opens up other things to look at before capping the game at the bullpen level.

Finally I will look at how both bullpens ERA's and WHIP since I find BABIP to be a bit more effective for starting pitchers and in a long term scenario not a single game.

In the event a home dog has a bullpen that regularly outperforms an opposing favorites bullpen AND has been less active in the last 72 hours I will play the home dog. You can generally assume the line is being turned over to the road team becuase of a standard #1 pitcher or an awesome #2 pitcher.

DO NOT USE THIS METHOD when the road team is a huge favortie because they have their ace out there ALA C.C Sabathia or Cole Hamels. You will have to look elswewhere in the match-up to find your edge.

smitch124
    smitch124's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1547

Quote Originally Posted by ryanspeer2001 View Post
    I rely on a bevy of factors.

First things first before even checking out BABIP and ERA and WHIP I look at how many innings pitched by both bullpens in the last 72 hours. I measure in time not in games played recently to get an idea of how rested they are as a unit.

Secondly I examine the starting pitcher to get an idea of how long I can expect them to last before the bullpen is used. Its not uncommon to have a stellar bullpen not get used because that clubs 1 good starter regularly goes 7+ innings. Which opens up other things to look at before capping the game at the bullpen level.

Finally I will look at how both bullpens ERA's and WHIP since I find BABIP to be a bit more effective for starting pitchers and in a long term scenario not a single game.

In the event a home dog has a bullpen that regularly outperforms an opposing favorites bullpen AND has been less active in the last 72 hours I will play the home dog. You can generally assume the line is being turned over to the road team becuase of a standard #1 pitcher or an awesome #2 pitcher.

DO NOT USE THIS METHOD when the road team is a huge favortie because they have their ace out there ALA C.C Sabathia or Cole Hamels. You will have to look elswewhere in the match-up to find your edge.
    Appreciate the response, I have a baseball model and I'm looking for a way to improve how it accounts for the bullpens.

ryanspeer2001
    Punta Cana '15

Quote Originally Posted by smitch124 View Post
    Appreciate the response, I have a baseball model and I'm looking for a way to improve how it accounts for the bullpens.
    Once you have it completed I'd be interested in taking a look.