onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4663

Shea Hillenbrand traded to Giants

Not a real big surprise, since the Giants are in need of a 1st basemen. This has been the talk of where Hillenbrand would be going ever since the Blue Jays incident.

Giants get:
    Shea Hillenbrand
    Vinnie Chulk

Blue Jays get:
    Jeremy Accardo

Article
    Giants acquire Hillenbrand from Blue Jays

Associated Press

SAN FRANCISCO -- The San Francisco Giants acquired Shea Hillenbrand from Toronto on Friday night, two days after the Blue Jays booted him from the team for clashing with management.

The Giants sent reliever Jeremy Accardo to Toronto for Hillenbrand and reliever Vinnie Chulk, getting in exchange the every day first baseman and offensive threat they had been seeking before the trade deadline. Both players were expected to be in uniform for the Giants on Saturday night against the San Diego Padres.

"This team is really focused. It is built around veterans for a reason. To get something done sooner, than to have to wait in what I perceive to be a very slow market, hopefully bodes well," Giants general manager Brian Sabean said. "I think the team will appreciate that we're putting this foot forward."

Hillenbrand was designated for assignment during Wednesday's game after writing "play for yourself" on a board the Blue Jays use to post batting practice times. He later wrote the "ship was sinking" before manager John Gibbons challenged him to a fight during a team meeting.

"We started talking and negotiating with these guys before the mishap," Sabean said after the team moved within a half-game of the NL West-leading Padres following an 8-2 win Friday. "I feel there are two sides to the story. It will be left for people to decide what happened in Toronto."

Hillenbrand, who has a $5.8 million contract for this season, is batting .301 with 12 homers, 15 doubles and 39 RBI.

"It's not easy to be a .300 hitter in both leagues," Sabean said. "He's always hit a lot of doubles. He can hit a home run and he can drive in big runs. In Toronto, he was playing first, third and DHing. I think the opportunity to play every day, not only for us but for his sake, is probably going to be good for both parties."

Sabean said he is interested in keeping the 30-year-old Hillenbrand around beyond the 2006 season.

"There were a number of guys who came into my office last night asking me if we knew that Hillenbrand was available," said San Francisco skipper Felipe Alou, who hadn't yet decided where to bat Hillenbrand. "A couple of those guys have been teammates with him. The word was that he's a good guy on the team and we all know what kind of player he is. I think he'll fit perfectly in the situation right now."

The Giants had a hard time parting with Accardo, someone they considered a future closer.

"I don't think he was as emotional or stunned as I still am," Sabean said.

Accardo will be back in the Bay Area next week when the Blue Jays play a four-game series against the Oakland Athletics.

"I think the shocking part of it wore off a little bit ago," said Accardo, told of the trade by Alou right after the game. "I'm going to go there and do what I can to help them win. I've got to leave here and the team that got me here [to the majors]. It's a tough thing leaving all my friends I came up with."

RickySteve
    SBR is a criminal organization
    RickySteve's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 187

Brilliant deal for the Giants.

DrSlamm
    DrSlamm's Avatar Become A Pro!

agreed.. accardo has been brilliant at times but has suffered from walking a few too many hitters at times. Sadly one of my favorite jokes has now moved on to the blue jays..

I am a giants fan and at one game this year there were 2 young children seated in front of me and my friends. Accardo entered the game and i said oh no its Avacado (my nickname for Accardo) all he does is walk people. So the 10 year old girl says.. Avacado.. all he does is walkamole..

anyways stupid story great trade.

isetcap
    isetcap's Avatar Become A Pro!

The Giants must be overjoyed. Accardo gave up leads like it was his favorite thing to do. Now they have an everyday first baseman.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4663

They didnt give up anything really, to get Hillenbrand. They get Chulk in return, to cough up those leads like Accardo did.

Im all ears to hear what OWNED has to say about this trade, since I talk to him regularly on MSN, and he is somewhat a Giants fan. He seems to know this team pretty well.