bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

jeff weaver is now a cardinal

the trade was just announce by walk jockety.

i know the cardinals are desperate for pitching, but damn! this is just what the cardinals need to keep there losing ways alive.

EBone
    Washington State +140 over Wichita State
    EBone's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 158

Ya know Dan: I have this theory that the Cardinals think Dave Duncan can fix anyone down on their luck now ever since the success story of Cris Carpenter. Sidney Ponson now Jeff Weaver and, to a degree, Mark Mulder. None of them have panned out yet. They are now in the "flyer" business because that's what Jeff Weaver is....a "flyer".

Who knows? Maybe Weaver can go 10-0 in the second half and Duncan will be declared genius again.

E

bigboydan

i don't think duncan can turn around this guy at all ebone.

this guy is done, and has been for many, many years. whatever part of his the cardinals paid for him is grossly over priced IMO ... it's now looking like the cardinals are going back to the maxville days, and getting a bunch or retreads.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4663

Man, I dont see this helping the Cardinals pitching woes. Maybe he can do something in the National League, but I highly doubt it.

Razz
    Razz's Avatar Become A Pro!

I like it - there's a chance he returns to his upper echelon status, and it's not like they are trading anything of real consequence for him.
    Not to mention he's already pitching better than Suppan.

Wassymac
    Wassymac's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

I really don't see how you could not like this move for the Cardinals. Sure if Mulder wasn't on the shelf, the Ponson experiment failed, or Suppan not throwing batting practice then maybe you don't make this move. But the starters are killing the bullpen right now and its not a bullpen that can handle the type of workload its taking on right now (obviously). The guy can chew up innings at the very least and spare the overworked bullpen a bit.

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

I thought the Cardinals wanted to improve their starting staff. Who know, maybe the change will do Weaver some good.

bigboydan

this is definately his last chance to be a major leaguer.

it's gonna be interesting to see how he does during that west coast road trip the cardinals have comming up after the all-star break.

bigboydan

ponson was disignated for assignment today, and weaver will be taking his place in the rotation.

wow! what an upgrade the cardinals made by making this move

bigboydan

what a start for weaver tonight for the cardinals. weaver gives up 6 runs in 4 innings, and has a whopping 13.50 in his cardinal debut.

Razz
    Razz's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by bigboydan
    ponson was disignated for assignment today, and weaver will be taking his place in the rotation.

wow! what an upgrade the cardinals made by making this move
    I'm not sure, but when you get cut to make room for the immortal Jeff Weaver, you probably shouldn't be laying more than -160 in a baseball game. Gotta like the M's tomorrow.

isetcap
    isetcap's Avatar Become A Pro!

I was in love with the fact that the Braves were dogs tonight against Weaver and the Cards. That was easy money!

bigboydan

a typical start from jeff weaver tonight.

3.1 innings... 7 runs on 8 hits

when will the cardinals finally admit they traded for a loser.

isetcap
    isetcap's Avatar Become A Pro!

Good trade. He's AK solid. I bet Pujols could pitch better...

bigboydan

larussa just left him out there to fry tonight.

EBone
    Washington State +140 over Wichita State
    EBone's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 158

Quote Originally Posted by isetcap
    Good trade. He's AK solid. I bet Pujols could pitch better...

Funny stuff.

E

tacomax
    SBR Problem Poster 2007-08
    tacomax's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1167

Quote Originally Posted by isetcap
    He's AK solid.
    I think we need to try and lobby to get that phrase in nationwide usage.

But anyway, saw the game and couldn't believe how crap he was. In fact, looking at his face, I don't think he could believe how crap he was too.

bigboydan

looks like the cardinals are giving him some run support tonight here in the 1st inning.

i just wonder how he's gonna blow it tonight.

Wassymac

Who knew...looks like this move paid off fairly well for the Cards. What a performance by Weaver...unreal!

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4663

Are we sure that wasnt Jared Weaver out there? Hmmm.

Either way, hats off to Weaver for that playoff performance.

tacomax
    SBR Problem Poster 2007-08
    tacomax's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1167

Quote Originally Posted by onlòóker
    Are we sure that wasnt Jared Weaver out there? Hmmm.
    I was thinking that when he was pitching, getting strikeout after strikeout.

To add more weight to the conspiracy theory "Jared" was shown in the crowd and he was totally covered, cap on and hood up - you couldn't really tell which brother he was.

Quote Originally Posted by onlòóker
    Either way, hats off to Weaver for that playoff performance.
    And congrats to the Cards for making the trade of the season.

sportsfun
    sportsfun's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5175

and the season is over! the card were this year's team of destiny.

scottyy11
    scottyy11's Avatar Become A Pro!

cards are the least talented team to win the series since the 85 royals and no I didnt lose money on the series. Just thought every game was a ugly display of baseball and very boring. Thought fox did a terrible job also......anyone know how the tv ratings were for these games

Seattle Slew
    Seattle Slew's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9450

I think Game 1 was the lowest rated Series game in history. Overall, the ratings tanked. Not enough national interest in these teams so Fox was screwed with this matchup, just like last year with the White Sox and Astros.

The networks only want 3 teams in the World Series every year. The Yankees or Red Sox from the AL, and in the national league.......yes, the Cubs. Fox's highest ratings in the NL were when the Cubs blew that series to Florida in 2003.

Quote Originally Posted by scottyy11
    anyone know how the tv ratings were for these games

Wassymac

Quote Originally Posted by scottyy11
    cards are the least talented team to win the series since the 85 royals and no I didnt lose money on the series. Just thought every game was a ugly display of baseball and very boring. Thought fox did a terrible job also......anyone know how the tv ratings were for these games
    You're right...Reyes, Carpenter, and Weaver's (24 innings, 3 ERs in their 3 Ws) brilliant outings were awfully ugly to go along with Suppans gritty effort to give the Cards a chance to win game 4. Add to that a bullpen that was lights out the entire postseason outside of one game against the Mets and I see what you mean.

It was ugly and I loved every stinkin' second of it
    Last edited by Wassymac; 10-28-06 at 01:22 AM.

bigboydan

Who would have thought this guy would have done what he did in the playoffs.

Somebody help me out with this one, but isn't he in a contract year ?

scottyy11
    scottyy11's Avatar Become A Pro!

I'll give you Carp is a good pitcher and Suppan has been gritty his whole career but I cant buy Reyes this guy will get pounded again next year with a era over 5 . I think its more like the tigers choked the only one who brought any game was Casey the rest of their big guns pooped the diaper. , pitchers couldnt even make a throw to third base. If your a Cards fan though congrats, as I was a Royals fan in 85 so to win the World Series is great no matter what talent level your team is ....I still say it was a poor display of baseball th
    ough and bet there are teams in Cuba or Japan that are better than this team.

LIKE I SAID FOX DID A HORRIBLE JOB ON THE SERIES, OF COURSE SMALL MARKETS PLAYED A PART

World Series rating sets another low

By RONALD BLUM, AP Baseball Writer
    October 27, 2006

ST. LOUIS (AP) -- Game 4 set yet another record low for the World Series in the television ratings.

The St. Louis Cardinals' 5-4 come-from-behind victory over the Detroit Tigers on Thursday night got a 10.4 rating and 17 share, Fox said Friday. The rating dropped 20 percent from last year's 13.0 for the 1-0 finale in a four-game sweep by the Chicago White Sox over the Houston Astros.

The previous low for a Game 4 was the 11.8 in 2002, when the San Francisco Giants defeated the Anaheim Angels 4-3.

Thursday night's game got a 51.3/65 in St. Louis and a 37.6/55, and Fox said it won the night in prime time nationally.

Fox's 10.1 average for four games also is a record low, down 9 percent from the 11.1 from last year's White Sox sweep. Games 1 (8.0) and 3 (10.2) also set record lows, while Game 2 (11.6) was above the low of 11.1, set last year.

The national rating is the percentage of U.S. television households tuned to a program, and each point represents 1,114,000 homes. The share is the percentage of households watching a broadcast among those homes with televisions in use at the time.

Fox says that about 1 million fewer homes are tuned in from the participating cities than last year because Detroit and St. Louis are smaller markets than Chicago and Houston.
    Last edited by scottyy11; 10-28-06 at 01:43 PM.