the cubs blow a lead in the 9th innning and lose the game.

KC win again in a slugfest.

Tigers beat Clemens in his 2nd start of the year.

Notes from Tuesday's games
June 27, 2006

CLEVELAND: Grady Sizemore has 12 steals in 14 attempts, although he was caught once in two tries by the Cardinals' Yadier Molina on Monday. ``I kind of got stuck in the dirt a little bit and got a bad jump and obviously with a guy like that you can't get bad jumps,'' Sizemore said. ... Victor Martinez was batting .321 in June with five homers and 19 RBIs after hitting .165 in May. He was 2-for-5 and drove in a run on Monday. ... LHP Cliff Lee induced three foulouts to the catcher and a fourth that was dropped by Martinez on Monday. ``I get a lot of flyballs and popups,'' he said. ``I guess it's just the angle I throw from, and I don't have a whole lot of sink on the ball.'' ... OF Jason Michaels, on the DL with a sprained right ankle, is expected to begin a rehab assignment on Thursday. OF Casey Blake, on the DL with a strained muscle in his left side, could rejoin the team without a rehab on Friday when he's eligible to be activated.

ST. LOUIS: RHP Jason Marquis will stay in the rotation despite allowing 20 earned runs in 11 innings his last two starts, largely because of a lack of viable options. LHP Mark Mulder already is on the DL. ``At some point if there's a better alternative, whoever the guy is, that guy pitches,'' manager Tony La Russa said. ``He's got some pressure to give us a better chance to win.'' ... CF Jim Edmonds was back in the lineup on his 36th birthday, a day after La Russa thought he needed a day off because his swing looked off. Edmonds sustained a minor concussion last week in Chicago. ... The Cardinals will use backup C Gary Bennett only in emergency situations the next two days plus a day off on Thursday to allow him to recover from a mildly strained left side muscle. ... Yadier Molina was bumped down one spot to eighth in the lineup. He's batted seventh 44 times and eighth seven times.

---

---

TAMPA BAY: RHP James Shields will move up a day to start Saturday at Washington. RHP Jae Seo, acquired Tuesday in a trade with the Dodgers, will start Sunday. ... SS Julio Lugo entered Tuesday night having drawn a walk in nine consecutive games. That tied the team mark set by Fred McGriff from May 6-16, 1999. ... LHP Casey Fossum, Wednesday's scheduled starter, is 0-2 vs. NL teams this season after losing all four of his interleague starts last year.

FLORIDA: Manager Joe Girardi said RHP Brian Moehler likely will start Saturday night against Boston. If Moehler is needed for long relief before then, RHP Anibal Sanchez could start in Moehler's place. Sanchez beat the Yankees in his major league debut Sunday night. ... 2B Dan Uggla (right hamstring) remained out of the lineup Tuesday night against Tampa Bay. Girardi said he was being cautious with Uggla, who is listed as day to day. ... 1B Mike Jacobs rested Tuesday, with Wes Helms getting the start at first.

---

---

LOS ANGELES: Sandy Alomar Jr., is expected to see less time behind the plate following Tuesday's acquisition of C Toby Hall from Tampa Bay. ``We are going to carry three catchers on the roster which will give us many more opportunities to use Sandy Alomar in pinch-hitting situations where he can really do some damage, rather than hold him off until the very end when you have just two catchers on the roster,'' manager Grady Little said. ... C Russell Martin shaved his beard and is now sporting just a mustache. ... The Dodgers placed RHP Brett Tomko on the 15-day DL retroactive to June 24 with a left oblique strain.

MINNESOTA: LF Shannon Stewart is expected to continue his rehab assignment for an injured left foot Tuesday at Triple-A Rochester. Stewart was to play Monday, but sat out the game because of wet conditions following a rain delay. Manager Ron Gardenhire said the plan is for Stewart to rejoin the team Friday, which will force a roster move. ``I don't have any in-depth things I can tell you right now,'' he said. ``You never know what's going to happen between now and then. We have two more games here and Shannon has to get through his thing, too.'' ... C Joe Mauer, who entered Tuesday's game with a major league-best .377 batting average, has moved to third among AL catchers in the All-Star balloting, behind Boston's Jason Varitek and Detroit's Ivan Rodriguez. ``My wife's doing a good job,'' Gardenhire joked, before adding, ``It also helps that he's getting some national attention.''

---

---

CHICAGO: OF Brian Anderson rejoined the team Tuesday after serving a five-game suspension for his role in a bench-clearing brawl against the Cubs last month. ... OF Rob Mackowiak was in the lineup Tuesday in Pittsburgh, where he played from 2001-2005. He was dealt to the White Sox for LHP Damaso Marte during the offseason. ... According to the Elias Sports Bureau, Tadahito Iguchi was the sixth player in the last 25 years to homer in both the eighth and ninth innings of a game that went into extra innings. Iguchi hit a three-run homer in the eighth Sunday against Houston, then hit a tying grand slam in the ninth. It was the White Sox's third grand slam in as many games, making them the first team to do that since the Tigers in 1993. Despite Iguchi's seven RBIs, the White Sox lost 10-9 in 13 innings after trailing 9-1.

PITTSBURGH: In the first major shakeup of the Pirates' pitching staff this season, LHP Oliver Perez (2-10, 6.63) was moved to the bullpen and RHP Ryan Vogelsong (0-0, 6.39 ERA) was designated for assignment. LHP Tom Gorzelanny is expected to be called up from Triple-A Indianapolis to start Saturday against the Tigers. RHP Jonah Bayliss was recalled from Indianapolis. ... Because of the moves, LHP Zach Duke's next start was moved up a day to Thursday and RHP Kip Wells will start Friday against the Tigers rather than Saturday. ... OF Jason Bay says of the Pirates' push to get him voted into the NL starting lineup for the All-Star game in Pittsburgh: ``It's a once in a lifetime thing - but I'm taking it all in stride.''

---

---

HOUSTON: RHP Roger Clemens made his second start Tuesday night, and manager Phil Garner said the seven-time Cy Young winner would pitch, ``as long as he tells me he can go.'' Clemens threw 100 pitches, 59 for strikes, in his season debut last week in a loss at Minnesota. ``He can throw 100 to 110, but I don't think we can go 125 with him yet,'' Garner said. ... Garner still has confidence in LHP Andy Pettitte, Wednesday's starter, can turn things around after giving up at least six runs in six starts this season. ``He's been one of the best pitchers of the last decade, and he'll be all right,'' Garner said.

DETROIT: Manager Jim Leyland enjoyed the recent tantrum by minor league manager Joe Mikulik that was caught on tape. ``This guy has a chance to be on David Letterman,'' Leyland said. ``Minor leagues guys don't make ESPN too often, but that was outstanding.'' ... RHP Fernando Rodney probably doesn't have a shot to be an All-Star this year, but Leyland recently asked White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen to consider the setup man for a spot. ``He's been unnoticed, and he's been fantastic,'' Leyland said. ... 2B Placido Polanco was not in the lineup, Leyland said, to give him two days of rest in three days with Thursday being an off day for the team.

---

---

WASHINGTON: RHP Shawn Hill, who grew up in suburb of Toronto, will pitch for the first time in Canada on Wednesday. ``It will be nice that my family will get to watch, it's my first time pitching here so that will be fun,'' Hill said. ... Manager Frank Robinson said having 1B Nick Johnson makes a big difference in the lineup. Johnson recently missed a week with a lower back strain. ``He creates problems for the other team,'' Robinson said.

TORONTO: Manager John Gibbons thinks five of his players have a good shot at joining him at the All-Star game in Pittsburgh. Chicago manager Ozzie Guillen already named Gibbons as a coach. Gibbons thinks RHP Roy Halladay, LHP B.J. Ryan, CF Vernon Wells, RF Alex Rios and 3B Troy Glaus are all deserving candidates for the AL All-Star squad. ``Five is a lot of guys from one team unless of course you're picking the team as manager,'' Gibbons said. ``But we've had some big years and definitely had some All-Star performances.''

---

---

KANSAS CITY: The Royals are making their first appearance in Cincinnati since 1998, when they were swept at Cinergy Field. ... DH Mike Sweeney, on the DL with a bulging disc in his back, is working out with the team on its trip. Sweeney went on the 60-day DL on May 2. ... RHP Mike Wood became the 351st pitcher to give up a homer to Ken Griffey Jr., who hit a two-run shot in the third inning. He is the 10th pitcher this season to give up a homer to Griffey for the first time. ... Wood lasted only 3 2-3 innings, giving up five runs. He has yet to win in six starts this season.

CINCINNATI: Griffey hit his 550th career homer. He remains in 11th place on the career list, trailing Reggie Jackson by 13. ... The homer was Griffey's 152nd since he joined his hometown team in 2000, tying Pete Rose and Joe Morgan for 12th place on the franchise's list. ... RHP Matt Belisle was activated off the 15-day DL after recovering from a strained back. He could get a chance to pitch in a set-up role in Cincinnati's struggling bullpen. ... 3B Edwin Encarnacion began a rehab assignment with Triple-A Louisville. He went on the 15-day DL on June 9 with a sprained ankle. ... RHP Paul Wilson threw 72 pitches before the game. Wilson is still recovering from shoulder surgery on June 17, 2005.

---

---

NEW YORK: RHP Pedro Martinez received a curtain call after the first inning. The three-time Cy Young Award winner is scheduled to make his first start at Fenway Park as a visitor on Wednesday. ... 1B Carlos Delgado hit his 390th career homer, tying Craig Nettles for 46th on the all-time list. ... RHP Alay Soler threw 42 pitches in the first inning.

BOSTON: The Red Sox released 1B J.T. Snow, who had been designated for assignment. ... OF Wily Mo Pena (hand) is scheduled for a minor-league rehab stint later in the week. ... LHP David Wells is expected to join the Red Sox in Tampa Bay next week.

---

---

ATLANTA: After allowing a two-run homer Monday night to the Yankees Jason Giambi, the Braves have given up 58 runs and 17 home runs in the first inning, the most they have allowed in any inning this season ... Scott Thorman started just his sixth game since being recalled June 18 with four of the starts being in LF. Thorman was hitting .324 with 15 homers, second in the International League in both categories but has yet to homer in the majors. ... LHP Horacio Ramirez made his first career appearance against the Yankees. ... 1B Adam LaRoche is the son of former pitcher Dave LaRoche who was with the Yankees from 1981-83.

NEW YORK: Alex Rodriguez came into Tuesday's game with 99 home runs as a Yankee, one short of becoming the 34th player to hit 100 or more with the team. ... 2B Robinson Cano being placed on the DL (strained left hamstring) may cost the Yankees three starting spots on the AL All-Star infield. 3B Rodriguez and SS Derek Jeter also lead their positions in the voting as does Cano who may miss the game with his injury. ... Yankees are hosting the Braves in interleague play for the fifth time since 1997 but have only made two trips to Atlanta.

---

---

COLORADO: Rockies beat writer Tracy Ringolsby, who will be inducted into the writers' wing of the baseball Hall of Fame on July 30, expressed concern after hearing about Peter Gammons' brain aneurysm on Tuesday morning. Gammons was last year's recipient of the J.G. Taylor Spink Award. ``I've kind of grown up with Peter in the business, so I fully understand all the great things he's done for our business,'' said Ringolsby, who first met his longtime colleague in 1976 when Gammons was covering the Red Sox for the Boston Globe. ``He let a lot of people know that it was OK to be in love with what you did - and that you didn't just have to be a cynical curmudgeon. From a professional standpoint, he opened a lot of doors for a lot of people in various areas. He kind of created the `multimedia personality.' He was the first newspaper guy to go on TV and not be a pretty face with a gorgeous voice. Peter has one of those radio faces and newspaper voices, but he's always had so much information and so much ability that it overrode all of that when it came to the decision to put him on the air - because he provided an insight that very few people could.''

LOS ANGELES: LF Garret Anderson was scratched from the starting lineup about 90 minutes before Tuesday night's game because of stiffness in his lower back. ... RHP Kelvim Escobar, who was tagged for seven runs in Sunday's 9-7 loss at Arizona, met behind closed doors before batting practice with manager Mike Scioscia and catchers Jose Molina and Mike Napoli to discuss numerous subjects, including pitch selection. ``We were trying to fix a couple of things from the last game that I don't usually do,'' Escobar said. ``My fastball command wasn't good and I wasn't getting ahead of guys. And when I did, I wasn't able to finish them off. I walked some guys at the bottom of the lineup on my No. 3 and 4 pitches, and there are times you have to go with your best stuff and let the hitters beat you with your best pitch. But we're on the same page now.''

---

---

TEXAS: RHP Adam Eaton is on track to return to the starting rotation after the All-Star break. He threw his slider in a session on Tuesday, but won't test his curveball until his next outing. ``He said everything felt great,'' manager Buck Showalter said. ``It was encouraging.'' Eaton has been on the 60-day DL all season with a strained right middle finger. ... RHP Kameron Loe, out with a right elbow bone bruise, is close to returning. He's eligible to come off the DL on July 3. ... RHP John Wasdin, eligible to come off the DL on Wednesday, will likely start either Friday or Saturday. Wasdin is recovering from a sprained right thumb. ... If Showalter could have his way the Rangers would have more than one player on the All-Star team. ``We have a couple of guys who are worthy of consideration,'' he said. ``But I'm obviously bias. That's a tough job and they take it very seriously. Most conversations are about pitching.'' ... The Rangers and Giants played the first interleague game ever on June 12, 1997, with the Giants winning 4-3.

SAN FRANCISCO: RF Moises Alou missed his eighth straight game with lower back trouble. He was expected to return Tuesday night but experienced stiffness after working out Sunday and was given a cortisone shot during Monday's off day. He could play Wednesday. ... SS Omar Vizquel was held out of the lineup with what trainer Stan Conte called ``muscular tightness'' in his back. He left Sunday's game early. Jose Vizcaino started in Vizquel's place. ... 1B Lance Niekro, sidelined with a strained right groin, played designated hitter in a rehab assignment for Triple-A Fresno and was scheduled to play nine innings in the field Wednesday. He was eligible to come off the DL on Tuesday but is behind. ... C Mike Matheny, recovering from a concussion, isn't feeling much better but planned to do some light baseball activity on the field. ``There's nothing I can do to control it,'' he said. ... RHP Brad Hennessey is a candidate to pitch one of the games in Saturday's doubleheader at San Diego. ... Barry Bonds returned to the lineup after leaving Sunday's game against Oakland following the second inning with irritation in his left knee. It was his right knee that needed three operations last season. ``My right knee will always be an issue,'' Bonds said. ``Normally the left one is when I overcompensate for this one.'' Bonds also said he has yet to hear from former Sen. George Mitchell in his independent investigation of steroids in baseball.

---

---

SEATTLE: C Kenji Johjima was back in the lineup after bruising his right leg on a foul tip against San Diego on Sunday. ... Seattle entered Tuesday's game 7-2 in the midst of 15 consecutive games against the National League. ... Ichiro Suzuki entered the Arizona series with hits in 44 of his previous 47 games. He is hitting .423 in June. The best average for June in franchise history was Edgar Gonzalez's .402 in 1995.

ARIZONA: RHP Juan Cruz, sidelined by a sore right shoulder, is scheduled to make a rehab start for Triple-A Tucson in Portland on Wednesday night. If all goes well, he will rejoin the Diamondbacks after that, manager Bob Melvin said. ... Melvin has been ejected in two of the last four games. ... Entering Monday night's game, the Diamondbacks had not had consecutive wins since sweeping four at Atlanta from June 1-4.

---

---

OAKLAND: Frank Thomas, on the DL with a sprained right quadriceps, did some running and took batting practice. ... RHP Rich Harden, also on the DL, tested his injured elbow. The A's don't have a timeframe for Harden's return.

SAN DIEGO: RHP Woody Williams, who got shelled in a rehab start on Monday night at Triple-A Portland, is scheduled to start the second game of a doubleheader Saturday against the San Francisco Giants. Williams allowed six runs and eight hits in 2 2-3 innings Monday night, with two walks. He threw 68 pitches in his second rehab start. He's been on the DL since May 13 with a strained left calf.

---

---

---

MILWAUKEE: Injured RHPs Ben Sheets and Tomo Ohka threw early batting practice sessions Tuesday at Wrigley Field. Ohka (partial tear in right rotator cuff) has been on the DL since May 3, retroactive to May 2, and will go on a minor league rehab assignment soon, manager Ned Yost said. Sheets (shoulder tendinitis) will throw another side session in a few days. He has been on the DL twice this season, currently since May 10, retroactive to May 3. ... The Brewers have won their last three games at Wrigley Field by a combined score of 31-2, thanks in part to a 12-0 home run advantage. Prince Fielder had his second two-homer game in Chicago on Monday as the Brewers hit four in a 6-0 victory.

CHICAGO: OF Freddie Bynum returned to the Cubs Tuesday after a hospital stay in Minnesota with a blood clot in his right shoulder. Bynum, who had surgery on a blood clot in that shoulder in 2004, went on the DL with right shoulder inflammation on June 25 after he reported swelling during a game in Minnesota last weekend. Cubs trainer Mark O'Neal said Bynum will be re-examined in a month after they see how blood-thinning medication works. Bynum was hitting .260 with two homers and six RBIs in 41 games. ... Cubs manager Dusty Baker said the team is very encouraged by Kerry Wood's side session in Cincinnati on Monday. Wood was diagnosed with a muscle imbalance in his surgically repaired right shoulder and won't pitch another side session for several days. He has been back on the DL since June 6 after making four starts.