Willie Bee
    Willie Bee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 305

MLB Trivia - 6/26/06

Who are the only two National League pitchers to throw complete game 1-hitters in their major league debuts?

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

well, i know reyes is not one of them. he only pitched 8 innings against the sox last week.

Mudcat
    Mudcat's Avatar Become A Pro!

This is another one of those questions where either you know it or you don't. In this case, I don't.

I'm never averse to lobbing a wild guess out there though. Howzabout:

Ken Forsch
    Livan Hernandez

Willie Bee

Not Ken Forsch (or his brother Bob) or Livan 'Quarter Pounder' Hernandez. Reyes' 1-hitter last week was not his MLB debut.

The two debut 1-hitters occurred in the last 50 years, but it's been almost 20 years since it last happened.

moses millsap
    moses millsap's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1260

I was just about to guess Jason Jennings, but if none in the last 20 years, I doubt I will get it. A couple wild guesses:

Atlee Hammaker (sp?)
    Dave Dravecky

Willie Bee

Good guess with the Jennings idea. He pitched a 5-hit shutout in his debut at Shea back in Aug 2001. Also hit a homer and pair of singles in the game for one of the best all-around debuts by a pitcher ever.

Atlee Hammaker pitched four shutout innings of relief in his debut in Aug 1981 when he came up through the Royals system.

Dave Dravecky also pitched in relief when he made his debut with the Padres in June 1982.

Of the two pitchers who serve as the answers to this question, one is in the Hall of Fame.

Mudcat

Sandy Koufax
    Charlie Lea

Willie Bee

Not Koufax or Lea (Used to hate to see Charlie Lea coming to Houston because he pitched so well inthe old Astrodome).

One pitcher was born in the Dominican Republic and the other hails from Texas.

Dead Money
    Dead Money's Avatar Become A Pro!

Marichal????

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

is doc gooden one of them ?

Mudcat

Well we're talking about Texas and we're talking about low-hit games so I have to toss Nolan Ryan out there as a guess for the Hall-of-Famer (don't get me started on Ryan in the HOF).

Stumpage
    Update your status
    Stumpage's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13688

Mark Fidrych?.....Actually, cancel that as he was a Tiger and obviously not in the NL.

not mofome
    not mofome's Avatar Become A Pro!

gaylord perry
    satchel paige

Willie Bee

Quote Originally Posted by Dead Money
    Marichal????
    Bingo!

The Dominican Dandy made his MLB debut for the Giants on July 19, 1960 at The Stick in San Fran. Marichal went the full nine innings, allowing one hit and a walk to go with 12 strikeouts. The lone hit was by Clay Dalrymple, a 2-out pinch-hit single in the eighth.

The only other pitcher to accomplish this feat in the NL was James C. 'Jimmy' Jones. The Dallas native made his debut for the Padres and 1-hit the Astros in The Dome on Sep 21, 1986. The lone hit was a 2-out triple in the third inning by Houston starting pitcher Bob Knepper. Jones went the full nine innings allowing no walks and striking out five.