bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Kerry Wood could be done for the year

this guy has never lived up to his potential at all during his career. maybe it's just time for him to retire,and stop getting all those cubs fans hopes up every year.

CLEVELAND (AP) -- Kerry Wood's comeback has hit a snag. Maybe even a season-ending one for the Chicago Cubs right-hander.

Wood, who has made just four starts following shoulder surgery, said Wednesday that he's concerned that he might not be able to pitch again this year.

"With each passing day, I get more and more doubts," Wood said. "But I have to keep going and try to get through this."

On Tuesday, Wood experienced fatigue during the late stages of a 70-pitch simulated game at Jacobs Field. It was a significant setback because the club had hoped to have him back for a start this weekend.

He's eligible to come off the 15-day disabled list on Thursday, but it now looks like that will be delayed and there's currently no timetable for him to throw again.

Wood said doctors have told him that his shoulder is structurally sound.

"They're pretty sure there isn't any damage," he said.

Following his latest throwing session, Wood said he still had discomfort in the shoulder, which was operated on last August. However, he's not sure why he's unable to throw more pitches without feeling tired.

"I have to figure out when I get to 65 or 70 pitches, it seems to shut down on me," a frustrated Wood said. "I felt great for 60 pitches but I got to that point, and today it doesn't feel too hot."

He had planned to throw on Thursday, but now he's hoping to get back on the mound by Sunday or Monday.

Wood would rather keep pitching and fight through the tiredness than give his shoulder more rest.

"Not pitching hasn't worked real well," he said. "I don't know what I'm going to do."

The Cubs had hoped to have him back for a start this weekend against Minnesota. But until Wood can comfortably throw more than 90 pitches, he will not be activated. That day now seems to be further off than anyone could have imagined.

And with the club holding a $13.5 million contract option on the 28-year-old Wood for next season, there's possibility he may have pitched his final game for the Cubs. Wood's deal includes a $3 million buyout.

Wood, who is 71-55 in his career, began the season on the DL. After being activated, he went 1-2 with a 4.12 ERA in four starts before going back on the injured list June 7. He was on the DL three times last season, the final time on Aug. 30, one day before his surgery.

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

This is too funny They need to just trade his sorry ass.

bigboydan

for what ? ... this guy has no trade value anymore with his arm issues.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4663

Kerry Wood on the DL. No way, I cant believe it. This never happens to this guy. Man, what a bad break for that guy.

Was this really any surprise to anyone that reads here?

bigboydan

you would figure the cubs fan would be use to this by now. hell, it happens every year.