bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Notes from Friday's games

OMG, quick somebody call genius. the royals have won 2 straight games now.

toronto came back after being down 5-2 in the bottom of the 8th to win 10-5

randy johnson looks like he's back to his old form. as the yankees lost 6-5

Notes from Friday's games
    June 9, 2006

TEXAS: The Rangers have a major-league leading 141 doubles and are on a pace to break the record of 373 set by the 1930 St. Louis Cardinals. ... The Rangers and Red Sox are scheduled to play a day-night doubleheader Saturday at Fenway Park. It would be Texas' first day-nighter since Aug. 9, 1997 at Cleveland. ... Texas has allowed 38 runs total in its last three losses.

BOSTON: Highly-touted prospect and LHP Jon Lester is scheduled to make his first major-league start in the opener of the day-nighter Saturday. Manager Terry Francona said the club elected to let Lester stay home to avoid the media attention. The manager also acknowledged the local fan interest by saying: ``this is the only place I've ever been where a guy gets called up and people know who they are.'' ... Reliever Keith Foulke, bothered by a sore back the past few days, was expected to throw on the side before Friday's game. ... Outfielder Wily Mo Pena, who underwent left wrist surgery on June 2, visited the team before the game and said he felt no soreness and can't wait to get back. He's expected to be sidelined 5-to-7 more weeks. ``I want to play,'' he said with a smile. ... The Red Sox and Yankees have rescheduled their Wednesday rainout as the night game of a day-night doubleheader for Saturday Sept. 16th.

---

---

OAKLAND: DH Frank Thomas hit his 463rd home run leading off the second inning. It was his 15th homer this season and his 12th solo shot, most in the AL. Eight have come leading off an inning, also most in the AL. ... It was Thomas' fifth homer off Randy Johnson and his 1,501st career RBI. ... SS Bobby Crosby sat out with a sore right hand. Oakland recalled INF Mike Rouse from Triple-A Sacramento and optioned LHP Randy Keisler to the RiverCats. Rouse made his major league debut at 2B and singled off Johnson in his first at-bat. Marco Scutaro started at SS. ... 3B Eric Chavez was also out of the lineup because his back was bothering him, and manager Ken Macha said he was concerned about whether Chavez would be able to play at all this weekend at Yankee Stadium. Antonio Perez started at third.

NEW YORK: One day before the Belmont Stakes, manager Joe Torre said he spoke to owner George Steinbrenner about horse racing and baseball. ``He's fine. He likes seeing the young kids play as hard as they are. I think he's pretty proud of that minor league system that we never really utilized before,'' Torre said. Steinbrenner owns Hemingway's Key, 15-1 in the Belmont on the morning line and trained by Nick Zito. ... Torre dropped 21-year-old rookie LF Melky Cabrera to the ninth spot in the lineup, even though he's been playing well. ``I moved Melky down just to get him out of the spotlight a little bit. He's been getting a lot of attention,'' Torre said. ... OF Bubba Crosby (hamstring) started a rehabilitation assignment with Class-A Tampa. He is expected to be with Tampa through Sunday. If there are no setbacks, Torre said Crosby should be back with the Yankees by Tuesday in time for the series opener against Cleveland. ... RHP Octavio Dotel (elbow surgery) said he felt fine one day after pitching on consecutive days in extended spring training for the second time. He is scheduled to pitch Monday and Tuesday for Class-A Tampa before possibly joining Triple-A Columbus. He could be back with the Yankees by the third week of June.

---

---

DETROIT: OF Craig Monroe didn't start for the second straight game because of a sprained ankle. He injured it while trying to make a catch at the wall on Wednesday. ... C Ivan Rodriguez appeared to hit a double into the corner in right in the first, but the first base umpire Brian Runge ruled it foul. TV replays were inclusive.

TORONTO: Manager John Gibbons said utility INF John McDonald will be activated from the 15-day DL on Monday. McDonald has been sidelined with a strained groin since May 27. Gibbons said he won't need to go on a rehab assignment. ... LF Frank Catalanotto extended his hitting streak to 11 games with an RBI double in the first. ... Former Blue Jay reliever Paul Quantrill attended the game. Quantrill is Canadian.

---

---

BALTIMORE: OF Jay Gibbons, who has been on the 15-day disabled list since May 27 with a strained left groin and hip flexor, is close to coming back. Manager Sam Perlozzo said that Gibbons is running straight ahead without problems, and is now ready to try running curves. ``That's the bigger step and if he can do it that will be a good sign,'' Perlozzo said. Perlozzo did not know when Gibbons would come off the DL, despite the team's confidence that he could hit today. ``It's what happens after he hits,'' Perlozzo said. ``One thing going against him is that we are on turf for the next week.'' Following Minnesota, Baltimore travels to Toronto for a three-game set.

MINNESOTA: The Twins recalled right-hander Kyle Lohse from Triple-A Rochester Friday as a replacement in the bullpen for the injured Matt Guerrier. Lohse was at the Metrodome before the game, and Manager Ron Garderhire said that he was available ``right away'' because he was scheduled to make a minor-league start this weekend. ``He went down there and did his job professionally like we asked him to,'' Gardenhire said. ``Kyle knows how to pitch out of the bullpen and he did it earlier in his career.'' Gardenhire is hoping Lohse can duplicate the success of Guerrier, who had a 3.34 ERA in 21 relief appearances.

---

---

TAMPA BAY: CF Rocco Baldelli's second inning single was his first since coming off the disabled list. Baldelli returned to the lineup Wednesday after missing 221 games and 611 days with injuries to his left knee, right elbow and left hamstring. ``I don't want to make it a big deal,'' Devil Rays manager Joe Maddon said on how much Baldelli will play. ``I'm going to make a daily check up.'' With a day game Saturday after a night game, Maddon said he would ask specifically how Baldelli is. ``That would be my biggest concern.'' ... The Devil Rays activated LHP Casey Fossum, who has been out with a strained left groin that he initially hurt on May 19 against the Marlins. Fossum will start on Saturday against the Royals.

KANSAS CITY: DH Mike Sweeney, who has been restricted to 20 games this season because of a ruptured disc in his upper back, has begun to take air swings. Does anything hurt when he swings? ``Not too bad,'' Sweeney said. ``I'm not perfect right now. I don't know when I'll be back on the field, but hopefully barring no setbacks I'll be back sooner than later.'' ... RHP Elmer Dessens was unavailable to pitch on Friday after taking a hard grounder off his foot on a Gary Matthews' single in the ninth inning Thursday. ... The Royals claimed RHP Todd Wellemeyer off waivers from the Marlins. He was 0-2 with a 5.48 ERA in 18 relief appearances with Florida.

---

---

CLEVELAND: Struggling reliever Scott Sauerbeck was designated for assignment on Friday - 10 days after he was arrested. Besides his problems on the mound, Sauerbeck was recently arrested, accused of fleeing police along with a woman charged with driving his car while drunk. The Indians have 10 days to trade, release or send the 34-year-old Sauerbeck to the minors. Manager Eric Wedge said the move was ``strictly performance-related.'' Sauerbeck went 0-1 with a 6.23 ERA in 24 appearances. ... The club recalled rookie Rafael Perez from Double-A Akron to fill Sauerbeck's spot. The 24-year-old Perez went 4-5 with a 2.81 for the Aeros, and is the only lefty in Cleveland's bullpen. ``(He's) a guy that we're confident using against left-handers and right-handers,'' Wedge said of Perez, who pitched a scoreless inning against Baltimore on April 20 before being sent back to Akron.

CHICAGO: With 3B Joe Crede day-to-day after leaving Thursday's game against Detroit with back spasms, the White Sox shuffled their lineup. Pablo Ozuna batted second and started at third, with 2B Tadahito Iguchi dropping from second to seventh to provide some power near the bottom of the order. ``Crede's fine; I told him to get off the field for one day,'' manager Ozzie Guillen said. After Crede left, Juan Uribe went in at shortstop after missing two games for the birth of his son, and Alex Cintron moved from short to third. ... The White Sox third, fourth and fifth hitters - Jim Thome, Paul Konerko and Jermaine Dye - were batting a combined .309 with 57 homers, 154 RBIs and 131 runs entering Friday's game.

---

---

SEATTLE: Manager Mike Hargrove wants the Mariners to build on their solid homestand as they play 15 of their next 18 on the road. ``We feel we're playing well now and we want to continue that,'' Hargrove said Friday night before the opener of a three-game set against the Angels in Anaheim. The Mariners were coming off a homestand where they went 5-2 and are the only team in the AL West with a winning record (19-17) at home. Asked why they've been playing better at home than on the road, the manager smiled and said, ``The first month of the season, we played better on the road than at home, and I was asked about that. The answer's the same now, I don't know.'' ... The Mariners have been successful in Anaheim, winning eight of their last 11 at Angel Stadium, including taking two of three on May 12-14.

LOS ANGELES: The Angels activated INF Maicer Izturis from the DL and optioned INF Erick Aybar to Triple-A Salt Lake. ... RHP Bartolo Colon, working his way back from a shoulder injury, will make one more minor league appearance and the Angels will reevaluate whether he's ready to join them. ``I think he feels good about where he is, but he's not quite where he feels he wants to be before he goes back on the mound,'' manager Mike Scioscia said. ``He wants to go out and throw anywhere from 90 to 100 pitches and see if one more start will get him to clean up some things on the mound. His command was good, but I think he just wants to get another outing to move further along.''

---

---

---

PHILADELPHIA: Monday's off day will give the Phillies a chance to skip LHP Eude Brito (0-2, 10.38 ERA), who has struggled in two starts in place of Jon Lieber (groin). Manager Charlie Manuel hasn't decided who will pitch when Brito's spot comes up again on June 17. One possibility is Ryan Franklin, who hoped to be in the rotation from the start of the season and has had a difficult adjustment to the bullpen. ``It has been tough. It's something I haven't done in four years,'' said Franklin, whose ERA is 5.06. ``I found that in relieving, you've got to go out there and get people out. Whereas with starting you can go out there and establish your fastball.'' ... LHP Randy Wolf (ligament surgery) made his first rehab start Thursday, pitching three innings for Single-A Clearwater. He allowed three hits and one unearned run with three walks and two strikeouts.

WASHINGTON: Chad Cordero' status as the closer looked a little tenuous after he gave up a game-ending grand slam to Atlanta's Jeff Francoeur on May 13. His ERA over his next nine appearances was 0.00. ``He's back in a good groove,'' manager Frank Robinson said. ``He's in better shape and locating his pitches better.'' Cordero attributes his slow start to the World Baseball Classic, where he pitched only 1 1-3 innings for the U.S. ``I wasn't facing hitters, and that's what I needed to do,'' Cordero said. On Saturday, he will become the first Nationals player to have his image given away on a bobblehead. ``It looks all right,'' Cordero said. ``It has flat hat and a flat bill and it has the two moles on my face.'' ... RHP John Patterson (forearm) will make his second rehab start Monday, pitching for Triple-A New Orleans in a home game against Iowa. ... OF Jose Guillen (hamstring) went 0-for-2 in his first game with Potomac on Thursday and was to play his second game with the Single-A team on Friday. He is eligible to come off the disabled list when he returns to Washington on Saturday.

---

---

CHICAGO: RHP Kerry Wood was placed on the 15-day DL and RHP Angel Guzman was called up from Triple-A Iowa. Wood's shoulder has been stiff after his starts, part of his recovery from surgery last August. ... Tony Womack batted leadoff Friday for the first time with the Cubs. Manager Dusty Baker dropped Juan Pierre to second in the order. ... Baker was encouraged by RHP Mark Prior's latest rehab start. Prior allowed four hits in five innings for Double-A West Tennessee on Thursday night, throwing a fastball consistently above 90 mph. Prior has been on the DL all season because of a sore shoulder.

CINCINNATI: 3B Edwin Encarnacion went on the 15-day DL with a sprained ankle. INF Ray Olmedo was called up from Triple-A Louisville. ... CF Ken Griffey Jr. was back in the starting lineup for the first time in three games. He had been sidelined by a sore thigh. ... Manager Jerry Narron missed Friday's game. He was in North Carolina to attend his daughter's graduation from high school. Bench coach Bucky Dent ran the team. ... The Reds haven't had a winning June since 1999, the last time they stayed in playoff contention the entire season.

---

---

ATLANTA: C Brian McCann started for the first time since spraining his left ankle on May 20. After a brief minor league rehab assignment, McCann said the ankle felt fine when he tested it Thursday in Houston. The Braves could certainly use his bat. McCann had an NL-leading .350 average when he got hurt and Atlanta has averaged just over four runs in its last 11 games before Friday, losing nine. ... Chipper Jones' three RBIs in Thursday's 7-4 loss to Houston moved him into a tie with Dale Murphy for third on the Braves' career list, with 1,143. Jones trails only Eddie Mathews (1,388) and Hank Aaron (2,202). ... The Braves entered Friday's game with a major league-leading 31 pinch hits in 100 at-bats.

HOUSTON: Chris Burke was starting in center field two days after re-dislocating his left shoulder swinging and missing. Burke said he's considering shoulder surgery after the season, but hopes he can make it to the end without injuring it again. He first separated the shoulder hitting the wall at Coors Field last month. Garner wants to play Burke despite the risk. ``That's not a reason not to play him,'' Garner said. ``If there's something that happens, it happens. You can't not play for fear of that happening. If you do, you might as well go ahead and get it fixed.'' ... RHP Roy Oswalt long-tossed before the game and will throw a bullpen session on Saturday. Oswalt, 5-3 with a 3.11 ERA, said he's fully recovered from a mid-back strain that's had him on the disabled list since Tuesday. Oswalt will start next Wednesday against at Wrigley Field. He hopes to make five starts before the All-Star break. ``Just need to win all those and get back on track,'' Oswalt said. ... The retractable roof at Minute Maid Park was closed for the eighth straight game on Friday to protect fans and players from sweltering heat.

---

---

ST. LOUIS: The Cardinals are on the road for 12 of 15 games through June 25. ... St. Louis will make the long odyssey without 1B Albert Pujols, who is out with a right oblique muscle strain. He had 25 home runs to lead the major leagues when he went on the 15-day DL Sunday for the first time in his career. ... LHP Jason Marquis (8-4)faces Milwaukee on Saturday. He leads the Cardinal staff in victories.

MILWAUKEE: Brewers manager Ned Yost said the absence of Pujols from the St. Louis lineup will make it ``a bit easier'' to play the Cardinals. But Yost said St. Louis is still tough offensively without their star hitter. ``They have enough firepower over there to pick up the slack,'' he said. ... First-round draft choice Jeremy Jeffress was at Miller Park a day after signing a contract. The 18-year-old right-hander from South Boston, Va., is headed for Milwaukee's team in the Arizona Rookie League. ... RHP Rick Heiling will pitch for Triple-A Nashville on Saturday. It is part of his rehabilitation from a sprained right elbow that has had him on the DL since April 11.

---

---

LOS ANGELES: RHP Eric Gagne was unavailable Friday after experiencing some pain in his surgically repaired right shoulder. ``He threw awhile and the shoulder didn't feel right to him,'' manager Grady Little said. ``I saw concern in his face.'' ... 2B Jeff Kent (sprained left wrist) was left behind in Los Angeles to take batting practice. ``He will join us in San Diego,'' Little said. ... C Dioner Navarro (right wrist contusion) began his rehab assignment in Triple-A Las Vegas.

COLORADO: OF Jorge Piedra was the prime beneficiary of the trade that sent OF Eli Marrero to the New York Mets for INF Kazuo Matsui. ``We wanted to get Jorge up and get a role for him,'' manager Clint Hurdle said. ``The timing of the trade worked out for us.'' ... The Rockies see a huge upside in 30-year-old Matsui, who was immediately optioned to Triple-A Colorado Springs. ``Being able to play second base or shortstop and hit several places in the batting order means there is no downside to him,'' Hurdle said. ``His Japanese numbers speak for themselves.'' ... Hurdle said he would consider Piedra and 1B Ryan Shealy, who is at Colorado Springs, for the DH role when the Rockies resume interleague play.

---

---

NEW YORK: OF Cliff Floyd, who sprained an ankle Tuesday running the bases in Los Angeles, probably won't return to the lineup until June 13 at Philadelphia, manager Willie Randolph said. ... OF Xavier Nady, who had an appendectomy May 30, will go to Florida on Saturday to work out but won't play right away. Nady is eligible to come off the 15-day DL June 12. ... IF Jose Valentin, whose production at second base made it easier for the Mets to trade Kaz Matsui to Colorado on Friday, said he wasn't trying to push Matsui out. ``I just went out there to do my job and help the team win, not to take somebody else's job,'' said Valentin, who is hitting .299. ``Hopefully he can regroup. I wish the best for him.''

ARIZONA: RHP Brandon Webb (8-0) faces the New York Mets on Saturday night. His 2.14 ERA is the best in the majors. In a memorable duel with Mets ace Pedro Martinez, Webb threw seven scoreless innings May 31 at New York. The Diamondbacks lost 1-0 in 13 innings. ... OF Eric Byrnes returned to the lineup Friday night after a two-day absence. He had three hits in his last 19 at-bats. ... RHP Greg Aquino had a tough outing Thursday, the day he was recalled from Triple-A Tucson. In a 7-1 loss to the Mets, Aquino gave up two runs and three hits in one inning. ... The Diamondbacks took a 7-7 record against the NL East into Friday night's game. A year ago, Arizona went 11-21 against the East.

---

---

PITTSBURGH: 3B Freddy Sanchez made his second appearance hitting fifth in the order as OF Craig Wilson, who snapped an 0-for-14 streak on Thursday night, was moved to the sixth spot with OF Jeromy Burnitz out of the lineup. ``We have three guys for two spots, all of which we need,'' manager Jim Tracy said. Wilson moved to the outfield and began platooning with Burnitz when 1B Sean Casey returned from an injury. ... Tracy's son Chad was with the team before the game and will remain in San Francisco through Sunday. Chad Tracy, a catcher at Pepperdine drafted by Texas, is expected to sign with the Rangers early next week. ``It was great for this father because of how little I've seen him,'' the elder Tracy said. ``I was able to give him a hug. I haven't seen him since I left for spring training.'' Chad took batting practice and picked up some pointers from his father regarding his defense. ... The Pirates entered Friday's game with a 6-18 record in one-run games, including 1-13 on the road. ``Over the long haul the team is going to benefit from going through games like that,'' Tracy said. ``Twenty-four one-run games on June 9 is a fairly significant number. It means we're playing competitive baseball but it gets to the point where we have to understand every little situation makes a difference.''

SAN FRANCISCO: 1B Lance Niekro was held out of the starting lineup with soreness in his right groin. ... 2B Ray Durham was a late scratch with soreness in his right neck. ... OF Barry Bonds is expected to return to the starting lineup on Saturday. ... LHP Jonathan Sanchez has yet to allow a hit or run in his first five major league appearances (4 2-3 innings). ``We haven't seen the best of him yet,'' Giants manager Felipe Alou said. ``He's a confident guy. I saw that in spring training. Right now I see a reliever, a one-inning guy who can come in, throw hard and get guys out. He could be a big time lefty out of the bullpen.''

---

---

FLORIDA - Hanley Ramirez, tied for third in the NL with 17 stolen bases, is already tied for third-most stolen bases by a Marlins rookie. Chuck Carr set the club record with 58 as a rookie in 1993. Quilvio Veras had 56 as a rookie in 1995, and Luis Castillo swiped 17 in his 1996 rookie campaign.

SAN DIEGO - Manager Bruce Bochy said ace Jake Peavy is good to go for his scheduled start on Sunday against Florida. Peavy has been bothered by tendinitis in his right shoulder and lasted 3 2-3 innings in a 5-1 loss at Milwaukee on Tuesday.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4651

Dont forget the Brewers blowing a 6-0 lead after the 2nd inning. Losing the game 10-6.

It does look like another great day for the dogs.

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

The Giants could have tied tonights game in the 9th if the ball hadn't bounced in the stands. At first, it looked like a fan had touched the ball, but it clearly bounced in the stands after I saw the replay. Then they had the bases loaded with 2 out (after a blown non call 3rd strike by the ump) The Pirates ended up getting the last out on a strikeout for the victory.