dante1
    dante1's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 392

Worth 25 points--IMO--baseball is the only major US sport

that the player has a shot at. I can't speak about anything except base, baskets and foot because I have no experience in the others but I believe base is the one sport that can be beat. Please listen what I am saying, it can be beat. That does not mean it is easy to beat but you have a shot.

Many of you guys know that I ran a book for many many years and the only sport that concerned me was baseball. At the end of the season it was possible for one or two guys to actually be in the black and it did happen. Naturally, I got it all back on foot and baskets so as I have been telling you guys for years the book almost never gets beat.

BTW, I ran a book that was probably 100% legal or so my boss was told by the state trooper people in PA. Anybody want to guess why? I can't wait to hear the smart answers this is going to create.

25 points to the first person that gives the reason that I was told, one answer per customer.

dante1
    dante1's Avatar SBR PRO

After some thought maybe I should change the wording from "legal" to "not prosecuted". Must consult an attorney for exact ruling that would be made in court.

Sdotbold
    Update your status
    Sdotbold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 148

because all the cops owed you money ????

dante1
    dante1's Avatar SBR PRO

lol, the first one. A few local cops did play.

Sdotbold
    Update your status

at least thats how it would be here in jersey.

doublej95
    Co Power Poster 2011
    doublej95's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19

cause you gave them a pencil or something of value when they paid you.

Sdotbold
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by dante1 View Post
    that the player has a shot at. I can't speak about anything except base, baskets and foot because I have no experience in the others but I believe base is the one sport that can be beat. Please listen what I am saying, it can be beat. That does not mean it is easy to beat but you have a shot.

Many of you guys know that I ran a book for many many years and the only sport that concerned me was baseball. At the end of the season it was possible for one or two guys to actually be in the black and it did happen. Naturally, I got it all back on foot and baskets so as I have been telling you guys for years the book almost never gets beat.

BTW, I ran a book that was probably 100% legal or so my boss was told by the state trooper people in PA. Anybody want to guess why? I can't wait to hear the smart answers this is going to create.

25 points to the first person that gives the reason that I was told, one answer per customer.
    I know the past few years i have build my bankroll through baseball, only to lose it during football. the last 2 seasons have been brutal for me.

dante1
    dante1's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by doublej95 View Post
    cause you gave them a pencil or something of value when they paid you.

No but by tradition all serious players got a bottle of scotch at Christmas.

dante1
    dante1's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Sdotbold View Post
    I know the past few years i have build my bankroll through baseball, only to lose it during football. the last 2 seasons have been brutal for me.

Yep, you have a real shot in base but that being said most people even lose in this sport.

Bluehorseshoe
    Bluehorseshoe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1557

You didn't charge vig.

dante1
    dante1's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Bluehorseshoe View Post
    You didn't charge vig.

good guess but no.

Wrigley
    Wrigley's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9423

because you had no business address or website and kept no receipts of the recorded bets

AribaAriba
    AribaAriba's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 97

scalping? especially on totals> i dont know but bases always burn me and i prefer foots over this snoozefest pace baseball

dante1
    dante1's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Wrigley View Post
    because you had no business address or website and kept no receipts of the recorded bets

Nope, okay here is a real hint. So I will allow you to have a second shot at this because I left this part out. We had a real brick and mortar address and people came to this gambling hall to hang around, play cards, bet the horses and play sports. This is a pretty big hint.

Pigpen
    High On The Hogs
    Pigpen's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13875

The legislature voted it in not too long ago at the horse tracks.

Shortstop
    542-481-4 +40.25
    Shortstop's Avatar Become A Pro!

"Skill" was dominant over "Chance"

Therefore your actions did not violate the state's anti-gambling laws.

Something to this effect that I've heard discussed several times before...

Richkas
    Richkas's Avatar Become A Pro!

NFL is like stealing...They play to their averages more than any other sport.

dante1
    dante1's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Shortstop View Post
    "Skill" was dominant over "Chance"

Therefore your actions did not violate the state's anti-gambling laws.

Something to this effect that I've heard discussed several times before...

This was not the reason given by the state cops, but maybe this has some validity to it. I don't know.

Did any of you guys ever hear of the card game called "pitch". It has other names too but the money cards are 3's, 5's and 7's and spades. This is a addictive game and people played it for days--straight. The rake was one chip per hand and a hand very seldom lasted more than 2 to 3 minutes. So if you were pitching for $5 just imagine the house take. It is unbelievable.

This game was the main action at this hall and sometimes two games were running at the same time and a bunch of people waiting for a seat. Good old days.

dante1
    dante1's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Richkas View Post
    NFL is like stealing...They play to their averages more than any other sport.

Well this means that you win consistently. We would love you to post your plays this year and prove it. Many have tried, few have proved.

Glitch
    Glitch's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5224

because of the amount of time your operation had been established.

hhsilver
    hhsilver's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 29946

the "house" was a church or a charitable organization and what you were doing was fund raising.

dante1
    dante1's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
    because of the amount of time your operation had been established.

Wasn't mine and no I don't think so, that would stop the locals but nobody else.

I just ran it for a guy that the Philadelphia Inquirer called the biggest organized criminal in NE pa. I don't believe that to be true because I was around him for many decades. Never saw any suspicious activity, never paid tribute to any person at least I didn't, and he never talked mobeese. I don't think he was even an associate. In fact, I would bet big money that he wasn't. If he was he was the quietest ever.

dante1
    dante1's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by hhsilver View Post
    the "house" was a church or a charitable organization and what you were doing was fund raising.

Yeah, the fund raising was for my boss. lol

RudyRuetigger
    Leave of absence until March Madness
    RudyRuetigger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 55

unretiring for 1 post:

baseball isnt the easiest sport to bet. if it was, they wouldnt give you the best possible odds on it. low limits + high juice is the easiest..so without even thinking too hard you can tell its college basketball totals

the hint was "play sports" i think...so my guess is you took wagers and "pretended" they were bets on yourselves in the games.

SportsMushroom
    SportsMushroom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6839

because it was a private club and only members could come in?

dante1
    dante1's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by RudyRuetigger View Post
    unretiring for 1 post:

baseball isnt the easiest sport to bet. if it was, they wouldnt give you the best possible odds on it. low limits + high juice is the easiest..so without even thinking too hard you can tell its college basketball totals

the hint was "play sports" i think...so my guess is you took wagers and "pretended" they were bets on yourselves in the games.

Hey Ruddy, Hi bud hope you are feeling better.

I am just giving my opinion based on my observations. We almost never had a winner in baskets or foot for the season. I am talking many players Rudy. We did have some season winners in base. Now, is this just chance, maybe it is however remember this is over decades not years. I was concerned during baseball season. Also I am having a great year in base. I have made four wd's already this year and am looking at another. Not large, but not small either. All around 1000.

No, that isn't the answer buddy. Wish you wouldn't retire. You would be missed.

Wrigley
    Wrigley's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9423

Because all the money betting went back to the players and they would leave the joint tipping you nicely

lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7726

Quote Originally Posted by RudyRuetigger View Post
    unretiring for 1 post:

bases is the easiest sport to beat. there is no argument about it.

Samson420
    Addicted....
    Samson420's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 757

because it a private club. clubs sell tip tickets here in OH and they cant be prosecuted cause it a memebers only club

dante1
    dante1's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by SportsMushroom View Post
    because it was a private club and only members could come in?

That is basically true but getting in was pretty easy. All you needed to do was be introduced by a member and it was all good. So not really private, no key.

dante1
    dante1's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Wrigley View Post
    Because all the money betting went back to the players and they would leave the joint tipping you nicely

I don't ever remember getting one cent from the players. LoL, I remember giving them "loans" that I never recovered. That is the price of that business sometimes.

Vegas_bond
    Vegas_bond's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10099

Quote Originally Posted by lakerboy View Post
    The moneyline in Baseball is almost as easy as the moneyline on big favorites in the NBA. The only difference is, Baseball pays a lot better.

dante1
    dante1's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by lakerboy View Post

Well naturally this is my premise so I agree with you. And I don't play baseball very much but this year I did and I am doing very well. But, I have not watched one complete game this entire season. In fact, I have not even watched three straight innings of one game. I just can't stand the pace of baseball. Too boring. Foot and baskets I am at the TV day and night like most of us. But truthfully have not watched one single game all season. I might watch some of the W Series.

robmpink
    Update your status
    robmpink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 43

who did they "bet the horses" with?

dante1
    dante1's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by robmpink View Post
    who did they "bet the horses" with?

Hi Rob how are you?

Well buddy there was an older gentlemen called "Sam the Dog,". I am wondering if you know the place and if you do then you know who I am. lol. If so, you know what I am saying is 100% true. Sam the dog took the horses until he became ill. That is when I took over for a while and ran both the book and the horses and even sat in during the pitch games. I didn't like the horses because they were boring.

It was a very lucrative business for a long long time. Closed down now for a good 10 years or so. Old guys died and the newer guys are doing everything on the internet.

Hope you are well

12 Last