bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Bud Selig finaly did something right for a change

MLB not planning any celebration for Bonds passing Ruth. So, please don't go start crying tacomax

NEW YORK (AP) -- Barry Bonds will have to wait until he passes Hank Aaron before baseball throws a party for him.

Major League Baseball is not planning any celebration for Bonds if and when he tops Babe Ruth's mark of 714 home runs, commissioner Bud Selig said Thursday.

"Hank Aaron broke Babe Ruth's record," Selig said. "We don't celebrate anybody the second or third time in."

Bonds has been the subject of steroids speculation for several seasons. The recent book "Game of Shadows" detailed allegations against him, and a federal grand jury is investigating whether he committed perjury when he told another grand jury that he had never knowingly used performance-enhancing drugs.

Bonds hit his 711th homer Wednesday. His San Francisco Giants were off Thursday, and open a three-game series Friday night at home against Arizona.

Selig does not figure to be in San Francisco -- or in Milwaukee or Philadelphia, where the Giants play next week -- as Bonds nears Ruth.

"We celebrate new records, that's what we do. We're being consistent," Selig said during the Associated Press Sports Editors annual meeting with league commissioners. "There's nothing to read into that."

Ruth is second on the career home run list, trailing Aaron's total of 755. When Aaron broke Ruth's record in 1974, commissioner Bowie Kuhn was not in attendance. Kuhn's absence rankled many, including Aaron.

Bonds has been hobbled by bad knees, and missed most of last season.

"He's had a remarkable career. Whatever happens, happens," Selig said. "We're going to let nature take its course. Commissioners don't sit around and say, 'I hope this guy breaks it or not."'

Selig said he had read "Game of Shadows" but not seen "Bonds on Bonds," the ESPN reality show about the slugger's life.

Selig said the book was among several factors that prompted him to launch a baseball investigation into steroids, headed by former Senate Majority Leader George Mitchell. There is no timetable for completing the probe.

Baseball's investigation, Selig said, is "not affected at all by the grand jury" looking into whether Bonds committed perjury.

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

Graet news. Bud finally did something right.

The Great One
    The Great One's Avatar Become A Pro!

I saw the title of the thread and thoght he comitted suicide.

moses millsap
    moses millsap's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1260

Quote Originally Posted by The Great One
    I saw the title of the thread and thoght he comitted suicide.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4663

Well Selig created this mess. So I dont know if he is doing right, or just trying to cover his azz in some way.

Will they celebrate it if Bonds passes Aaron?

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by onlòóker

thats gonna depend on if the feds don't get him before he does it.

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by onlòóker
    Well Selig created this mess. So I dont know if he is doing right, or just trying to cover his azz in some way.

In his words, "we only celebrate new records" so I guess that means yes.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4663

Quote Originally Posted by Illusion
    In his words, "we only celebrate new records" so I guess that means yes.
    Well with everything going on with Bonds, Im not so sure of that. So we will see, if Bonds even gets a chance to pass Aaron.