jeffdane
    jeffdane's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

How Good Are the Pittsburgh Pirates?

I am a Pittsburgh fan so Im looking for unbiased opinions.

I think everybody knows about Andrew Mccutchen. Is he great, good, ok, or what?
    Neil Walker?
    Pedro Alvarez?
    Jose Tabata?
    Garrett Jones?
    Ryan Doumit?

Paul Maholm and the rotation? Bullpen? Manager?

Im looking for all opinions. I dont want you to look at their incredible run of losing seasons I want honest opinions on individual players.

I hope many of you will participate. Thanks

jeffdane

seriously, no opinions? ok, note to self

jimbojpc
    jimbojpc's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 768

Jeff , like the over today! As far as opinions on players leave that to the Media. Do like (L) Maholm at home today. Hoping he gets run support to get the W. Pirate fan also , believe we have a lot of potential.

ochenta y cinco
    ochenta y cinco's Avatar Become A Pro!

Pittsburgh will be pretty decent at bat with 4 solid hitters, but the pitching is a huge question mark. I don't expect them to play for .500...

AL1322
    AL1322's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

pitt will find a way to finish in last like always lol

EXhoosier10
    EXhoosier10's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4390

Like 85 said, they've got some solid hitters. McCutch, Alvarez, and Tabata are all very good and could be the cornerstone of that team for a long time. Doumit is above average as well. The problem is that Walker has gotten really lucky the last year+, Garrett Jones isn't much more than a solid contributer in what should be a platoon with a righty, and the pitching staff is definitely below average. If they can assemble a staff in the next 2 to 3 years, they can contend for sure.

nitty48
    nitty48's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 713

they have a lot of potential as long as the pirates dont trade for even younger talent like many teams that are afraid they cant afford players

ebbearsfb1
    ebbearsfb1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1694

I'm bias as a pirate fan... so I'm saying world series and roberto is gonna right out and play right field.. but seriously... if they won 75 games id be very excited, but I'm thinking like 70 and 92.

PaperTrail07
    MMA is the most pure sport
    PaperTrail07's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 585

i think they are way better than people think----great attitude in pit right now---players are hungry------tabata is solid at bat but could use a lil work in the field---my sleeper of the year

ebbearsfb1

Solid manager also

CallMeGENO
    CallMeGENO's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2092

walker is lucky??? ooo yea leading in rbis and taking carpentar deep is lucky. i forgot

PaperTrail07
    MMA is the most pure sport
    PaperTrail07's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 585

yup---im liking them this year---always get good odds with Pit----history is shit behind them---------------------------------------------------------------

ebbearsfb1

Yeah not sure how u call walker lucky? U know he's not talking about larry

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on
    HoulihansTX's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

Pirates will always be the Pirates until they acquire the Lebron James of baseball.

jeffdane

i like hurdle and the attitude he has brought with him. i think walker will be great but dont know if i am biased. i dont think alvarezz is good yet but will be soon. solid power so will have his moments this year. cutch is great. doumit is good enough for a catcher. cedeno solid but just ok, he bats 8 so im happy with him there. overbay is a great pickup. jones just average but platooning with m diaz. i think they can combine for 25 hrs and 85 rbis while batting around 270. ill take that in the bottom of the lineup. tabata has been a hit machine since last july and with great speed should be a wonderful leadoff man.

i like the back end of the bullpen but not the rest. picked up beimel so when he comes back will be nice to have a good lefty. maholm is consistent and correia should eat innings and be consistent. ohlendorf grinds and has his moments. morton and mcdonald have potential and we shall see how they do. you can throw b lincoln on the potential boat too. he will be up first when someone struggles.

overall i think playing the pirates, and or the over should be a nice profit this season.

Pauulzcappin
    Pauulzcappin's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 568

They took my money today

BlastByou
    BlastByou's Avatar Become A Pro!

Pirates are getting better but still a below .500 team by the end of the year

EXhoosier10
    EXhoosier10's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4390

He was lucky last year because he had the 14th highest LD% and 25th best BABIP. I'm not saying he's not good, I'm just saying he shouldn't be expected to repeat last years batting average.

Jason Kubel had 92 RBI's last year. He must have had a great year, didn't he? He hit .250 with 21 HR's. That's super good!! RBI's are a product of who's on base before you moreso than how good of a hitter you are.

BRAVES1985
    BRAVES1985's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1975

they have some nice pieces... they could contend (for 5th)

TrapperDapper
    TrapperDapper's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4727

Quote Originally Posted by EXhoosier10 View Post
    He was lucky last year because he had the 14th highest LD% and 25th best BABIP. I'm not saying he's not good, I'm just saying he shouldn't be expected to repeat last years batting average.

Jason Kubel had 92 RBI's last year. He must have had a great year, didn't he? He hit .250 with 21 HR's. That's super good!! RBI's are a product of who's on base before you moreso than how good of a hitter you are.
    He's also batting in the two hole. Defense is a huge problem. Lots of errors and misplayed situations have hurt us early this season.

LLXC
    LLXC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10451

Add zero starting pitching.

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on
    HoulihansTX's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

Quote Originally Posted by BlastByou View Post
    Pirates are getting better but still a below .500 team by the end of the year
    They can ONLY get better.

Any worse, and they will be relegated to little league.

EastOakland
    EastOakland's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15

won good money on pittsburg this year. They are def better than last year.