illfuuptn
    illfuuptn's Avatar Become A Pro!

C.J. Wilson Breakdown?

Been looking into his stats and I'm not thoroughly impressed. He has a 90mph 2-seam that he pretty much depends on. He pretty much throws only that pitch to lefties with solid success. But he gets ripped pretty hard by righties. I know the sox have a ton of lefties, but they have youk pedroia scutaro and cameron at the right side. Also, Gonzalez hits lefty 2-seams pretty well.

Anyway, Rangers fans: what should I know about this guy? Underrated? Overrated? Wild? Accurate?

Ice House
    Ice House's Avatar Become A Pro!

I think he will throw 7 innings give up 3 runs.... Lester is the better pitcher no question about it. BUT..... the Rangers line-up is better than the Red Sox. The Rangers can straight up MASH and I expect Lester to decent maybe 6 or 7 innings 3 or 4 runs but once the Red Sox bullpen comes in BOMBS AWAY Rangers will win this game and the public will lose.

Ice House

To answer your question C.J. Wilson is slightly above average... he is capable of being very good from time to time when he is on.

Ice House

location is everything for Wilson.

Whippit
    getting to know ms. douglas
    Whippit's Avatar Become A Pro!

gonna see a few pitchers revert to the norm this year

so many pitchers went over the top last season....minor league caliber pitchers were tossing no hitters like it was candy

my labradoodle could've thrown for 200+ innings barring doggy john surgery

BeatingBaseball
    It's all about the price
    BeatingBaseball's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 70

Quote Originally Posted by illfuuptn View Post
    He has a 90mph 2-seam that he pretty much depends on.
    Wilson is actually an effective five pitch pitcher. That's why he could make the move from setup to starter last year and win 15.

He throws that sinking FB about half the time - but he also has a Slider, Cutter, Curve and Change.

You're right that he is tougher on LHers. His biggest weakness is that he walks guys (more than 4 per 9 inn.). And since he strikes out less than 8 per 9 - he has less than the benchmark 2:1 ratio of Ks to BBs.

For what it's worth - he faced Boston 3 times last year (far different lineup). He beat them all 3 times - including a 4-2 W vs Lester in July.
    Last edited by BeatingBaseball; 03-29-11 at 12:58 AM.

BeatingBaseball
    It's all about the price
    BeatingBaseball's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 70

Quote Originally Posted by Ice House View Post
    ..... the Rangers line-up is better than the Red Sox.
    ???

Not this year.

DaphDaph414
    DaphDaph414's Avatar Become A Pro!

C.J. Wilson is hawt I'm only slightly kidding, Dominique Piek agrees with me!

Though in all seriousness I think Wilson is good. Ideally a #3 on a great pitching staff (excluding the Phillies) or a #2 on a decent one. Control can be iffy (BB) but if he locates fastball well and throws in change, I have seen him carve up some impressive games against top-tier lineups such as both NYY and BOS. Still think that Lewis can be the way more impressive pitcher on that staff on his day but Wilson is no slouch.

Looking at Opening Day, he's got some insanely good numbers against the Sox even if they could be skewed slightly if he were effective against them as a reliever before recently. The last start against them though looks quite good (7 IP, 4 H, 8 K). Youkilis (who is definitely the ugliest guy I have ever seen) and Crawford have done OK against Wilson, though a small sample size now.

goblue1988
    goblue1988's Avatar Become A Pro!

Cj Wilson is a self-loathing liberal....avoid at all costs