Snowball
    Snowball's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3780

WTA Montreal: Camila Giorgi

Making the case for Camila Giorgi over Cori "Coco" Gauff tonight at +130 odds going in, and also for Giorgi to win the tournament at +1200 odds.

1) Gauff is still working her way into the elite of WTA. There are many opponents she's not familiar with, her strengths and weaknesses are not fully known. Will she be the next Madison Keys or the next Sloane Stephens? I don't know, but she won't be the next Serena Williams. That's for sure.
    2) Camila Giorgi, the very hard-hitting Italian with an underachieving reputation, but in her best of form right now, impressively demolishing Mertens, Podoroska and Petra Kvitova to reach this QF, all in straight sets. Giorgi isn't overhitting, she is showing great discipline in her strategy.
    3) Giorgi's coach is her father and herself. Often, her father sits alone in the seats and some say it's pressure, but who knows. I haven't seen the camera on him, if he is there, in Montreal. If he's not there, could it be why she's so loose? Years ago, her father borrowed millions (possibly from the mafia) after her QF Wimbledon suprise rookie season. Some say this pressure to win and pay back the loans on a very young Camila hurt her tennis psyche. But she's well past those days now. She only has 2 WTA Titles. At 29, she is very motivated to show her best ever right now before any kind of aging sets in.
    4) Gauff had an easy ride to this QF, as Johanna Konta was injured and retired early last match. Her opponent in the previous match ALSO retired, Potapova. Basically neither match was legit. In the only legit match, Rd 1, she played a visibly aching Sevastova who was suffering in the heat and not playing her best tennis. Sevastova beat her in Eastbourne.
    5) In their only prior, Gauff beat Giorgi in straight sets early in the Clay season at Parma. But, Clay is a surface Gauff has played best on, whereas Clay has always been Giorgi's worst surface, all her career. Giorgi's power comes from her strong footing and forearm speed. Hard and Grass are her best. She is not a player that has anything at all to do with pushing errors, lobs or drop shots, she doesn't even think about the opponent. All she cares about his hitting winners as hard as she can, often with a lot of topspin, and avoiding going over the baseline. I think she can keep Gauff in the back of the court which strips Gauff of her own winners. Gauff will try to push Camila out of position. Camila has a fast return game and I don't see Gauff's serve being so dominating. If her serve was already in top form I might hesitate, but she could be rusty because she hasn't played legit matches the last two rounds.
    6) I watched all Giorgi's matches in Montreal, and she's never looked better because her error rate is down low.
    7) If Giorgi wins this match, there's not a single player she can't beat in this tournament. This means her +1200 value is obvious in arbitration. There will be bandwagon action if she wins tonight.
    Last edited by Snowball; 08-13-21 at 10:30 AM.

wombat
    wombat's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11304

Agreed Snowball. Gauff has a good serve but her ground strokes are too weak and defensive-minded. She is not going to win many titles with those type of ground strokes.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Giorgi Doing what she does best collapsing

jtoler
    jtoler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6337

Quote Originally Posted by wombat View Post
    Agreed Snowball. Gauff has a good serve but her ground strokes are too weak and defensive-minded. She is not going to win many titles with those type of ground strokes.
    she will win quite a bit more titles and already has as many (2) in 2 years as giorgi who turned pro in 2006. and already accomplished more in majors. very consistent on the ground and takes tennis seriously walks around scowling at opponents and natural speed. she’s just adding to the experience before long win a major. montreal is known for slow surface anyway should go against giorgi

jtoler

also pace doesn’t matter so much when u play giorgi u just need to consistently hit deep and let the impatient fiery Italian beat herself which u can tell gauff is mainly focused on keeping the ball deep camilla will bash errors hard to hit winners from back there which it seems giorgi goes for every other ball

jtoler

lol I just tuned in and thought it was the 1st set gauff must be off

jjgold

Giorgi Will do everything not to win

jtoler

tons of miss hits from gauff good win snowy

wombat
    wombat's Avatar SBR PRO

Gauff can't handle that Giorgi power. She got dictated in straight sets.

Conqueror
    Conqueror's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5712

Good call!

DR225
    DR225's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 60

Nice win. Do you not bet daily anymore? Your record thread was one of the longest lasting threads on this forum.

Snowball

See, her father isn't there. Would like to be waiting in her hotel room.

Snowball

Quote Originally Posted by DR225 View Post
    Nice win. Do you not bet daily anymore? Your record thread was one of the longest lasting threads on this forum.
    Over 3/4 of my action is live now but maybe more pregame soon.

wombat
    wombat's Avatar SBR PRO

Giorgi always has this look on her face like she's an abuse victim. I've never seen her smile one time in years of watching her matches.

DR225
    DR225's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 60

Congrats on the live success. Probably had to change systems with those 5dimes open parlays gone lol.

jjgold

Good call!

Gauff still too young but big promise

super mario 48
    super mario 48's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 250

Andiamo CAMILLA

jjgold

That son of a bee is a real looker

Easy to make a case she is top 7 on tour beauty and body combined maybe higher

teacher10
    teacher10's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3090

Only a fool would say no.

Points Awarded:

Tuesday gave teacher10 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Snowball

Giorgi always has this look on her face like she's an abuse victim. I've never seen her smile one time in years of watching her matches.
    She smiled after the win last night.
    https://www.tennis.com/news/articles...ver-coco-gauff

So far, all I did was cover her +1200 future with a Pegula +100.
    Might leave it as be, going in. I want to take a look at how it goes.

KiDBaZkiT
    September 2021 POTM
    KiDBaZkiT's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1291

You know why Italians are called whops? Cuz when your throw a piece of shit against the wall it goes “Whop” - Danny Green, Killing the Irishmen.

jjgold

I don’t think she’s ever been in this situation before so she could choke even though she’s playing well, Pegula pretty good pressure player

Snowball

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    I don’t think she’s ever been in this situation before so she could choke even though she’s playing well, Pegula pretty good pressure player
    It's her first Semifinal in a 1000 Level which is the old Premier Mandatory/Premier Five combinated.
    Million dollar cash for winner. 1,000 points. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WTA_1000_tournaments

Snowball

I hit some Pliskova live. Pliskova will be a hard beat in the Final. She is so accurate.

Giorgi is 3-5 vs. Pliskova. Giorgi beat Pliskova twice this year, one on hard in the Olympics (hard to guage motivation),
    and on Grass in Eastbourne. Pliskova beat her in the 2019 AO, 3 sets. Other matches kinda long ago.
    Pegula, today's opponent, has beaten Pliskova four times this year. She is peaking. Both these players today are peaking.

Undecided except the hedge on +1200, which leaves me with some free Giorgi, not needing to bet again.
    we'll see... 6 pm

Snowball

btw Pegula only has 1 WTA title and a QF in Major. Similar (Giorgi 2). Hence the tight line.

wombat
    wombat's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
    It's her first Semifinal in a 1000 Level which is the old Premier Mandatory/Premier Five combinated.
    Million dollar cash for winner. 1,000 points. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WTA_1000_tournaments
    It's not a million dollars for the winner, more like $220,000. What they are saying in that wiki article is that all 1000 mandatory tournaments are minimum $1 million dollar payout for the entire tournament. The only tournaments that have over a million dollars for the winners are grand slams.

https://www.perfect-tennis.com/prize-money/rogers-cup/

Snowball

It's not a million dollars for the winner, more like $220,000. What they are saying in that wiki article is that all 1000 mandatory tournaments are minimum $1 million dollar payout for the entire tournament. The only tournaments that have over a million dollars for the winners are grand slams.

https://www.perfect-tennis.com/prize-money/rogers-cup/
    yeah sorry

man I want to pound her again.
    but I will wait.

wombat
    wombat's Avatar SBR PRO

Pegula has the ability to go punch for punch with ground strokes against Giorgi. Gauff sucked ass yesterday.

Snowball

Pegula has the ability to go punch for punch with ground strokes against Giorgi. Gauff sucked ass yesterday.

are you going in with Jessica?

jjgold

Jessy the play

Snowball

-115/-115 warmups

Snowball

-125/-105 heat on Giorgi still warming up

Snowball

Pegula not showing much of a threat.
    If Pegula holds serve next I'm going to buy.
    Giorgi looks very confident.

Snowball

Pegula Medical T/O
    taping inner thigh down 1-4.

Snowball

got lucky and popped in a 1st set bet before huge LM

12 Last