Jerimjob
    Jerimjob's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2499

Makarova +1.5 sets (+120)

Why not?
    Makarova has played great. Destroyed the #3 seed, and hasn't lost a set all tournament.
    Yes she hasn't done well against Sharapova in the past, but she's playing great at the moment.
    Look at Berdych and Seppi avenging their demons against Nadal/Fed

At plus money, I'll take a shot with her taking a set on Maria

Snowball
    Snowball's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3804

Halep and Sharapova are very dissimilar players.

thecutter
    thecutter's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6480

Yea halep was not playing her best tennis. Good luck but I think maria takes this in under 90 mins

AboutThatLife
    AboutThatLife's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 207

Lol we continue to go against each other youve been on the winning side - this match might not make it an hour

thecutter
    thecutter's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6480

Are you referring to me? I think it will be Maria in straights so that would put us on same side? Maybe 90mins was an overshot

Jerimjob

Quote Originally Posted by AboutThatLife View Post
    Lol we continue to go against each other youve been on the winning side - this match might not make it an hour
    Haha yea man... we've been a bit at odds. I've been on a mini run picking underdogs in Berdych and Keys.
    Maybe tonight I'm wrong, but thought the plus money was worth a shot for someone who's playing good tennis and hasn't lost a set.
    Just need 1 set lol

AboutThatLife
    AboutThatLife's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 207

The problem is like snowball said - Pova isn't halep - Halep can't beat Serena or Pova for a reason she plays a similar style to Makarova and Rova was the far superior player the other day- Good luck I won't die if I lose - Plus money long term is a winning proposition

Jerimjob

I hear ya about Halep... she played pretty bad, but getting bageled shows Makarova is playing well at the moment too.
    Mak did also beat Pliskova in straight sets, who hits the ball hard. I think she had the 2nd most aces behind Serena in 2014.
    Sharapova is obviously a big upgrade on Pliskova, but it shows Makarova has beaten several different type of women.
    I guess we'll see how it pans out

kenz
    kenz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4350

Either Masha 2-0 or no bet for me. Marathon has 2-0 @1.78, way above market

frugalgambler
    frugalgambler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6810

Yeah, Sharapova has steamrolled Makarova twice already in the QF @Aus Open. There is however a difference this time: Makarova has been able to mange her time on court this year (only ~70 mins per match) and she did not have to play doubles yesterday. Makarova is also blossoming into a legit top-10 player and she has gained a lot of valuable experience last year. This is all nice but on the other hand Sharapova has played pretty well after her scare against Panova, and the match might rest on her racket. If Maria serves well and keeps hitting the winners, Makarova can fall apart again from the get-go. The first 2-3 games will be crucial. It seems that when Makarova loses on a big stages she never really gets into the match.

I am not sure here. I was completely wrong about Wawrinka yesterday so I am not going big here. But it feels at Makarova +5 @-110 might be a decent play. I think it is pretty likely Sharapova's level will drop a little and Makarova will put up a fight.

EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

I don't know why you would think Shaapova's level would drop now. She's been on point since her scare, only lost 7 games in the last 3 rounds. She's also got the anti-Russian motivation because the Russian players don't count her among themselves really. Makarova gave her some bb material if she needed it.

Basically, if she serves like she has the last couple rounds + no rash of errors, Makarova has to find something extra to compete.

frugalgambler
    frugalgambler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6810

Well, Sharapova has been living in US since she was what six (how crazy was it to go to Bollitieri's school at the age of six) ? So although her Russian is flawless, I am surprised she is playing for Russia (probably an astute PR choice). Anyway, strange things can happen in the semis and I just have not seen Sharapova to be so consistent over 3-4 matches outside of clay. Plus, Makarova has been improving her game and mental approach; yeah Serena destroyed her in her first semis at US Open but that Serena playing at home. I think this time it will be closer. A small bet for me anyway.

gaebiskon
    gaebiskon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5062

wait, isn't makarova a choker?

still remember she served for the match against kerber up a double break or something and ended up losing the match at a GS.
    believe she cried during the match as well.

doesn't matter how well these mentally weak players have been playing prior. they will choke inevitably as soon as they play a top player.

Demetrius4UK
    Demetrius4UK's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 36

Quote Originally Posted by frugalgambler View Post
    Yeah, Sharapova has steamrolled Makarova twice already in the QF @Aus Open. There is however a difference this time: Makarova has been able to mange her time on court this year (only ~70 mins per match) and she did not have to play doubles yesterday. Makarova is also blossoming into a legit top-10 player and she has gained a lot of valuable experience last year. This is all nice but on the other hand Sharapova has played pretty well after her scare against Panova, and the match might rest on her racket. If Maria serves well and keeps hitting the winners, Makarova can fall apart again from the get-go. The first 2-3 games will be crucial. It seems that when Makarova loses on a big stages she never really gets into the match.

I am not sure here. I was completely wrong about Wawrinka yesterday so I am not going big here. But it feels at Makarova +5 @-110 might be a decent play. I think it is pretty likely Sharapova's level will drop a little and Makarova will put up a fight.
    Just took +6,5 @230

mrlif1
    carrie got her period in the shower
    mrlif1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3555

Quote Originally Posted by thecutter View Post
    Yea halep was not playing her best tennis. Good luck but I think maria takes this in under 90 mins
    87 minutes. What did that pay? Lol good call

Jerimjob

Yea... Can't win them all. As soon as Makarova couldn't win that first game with a cpl break chances, knew it was over.

Will prob not bet the rest of the tourney and finish up a cpl units

Demetrius4UK
    Demetrius4UK's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 36

Quote Originally Posted by Jerimjob View Post
    Yea... Can't win them all. As soon as Makarova couldn't win that first game with a cpl break chances, knew it was over.

Will prob not bet the rest of the tourney and finish up a cpl units
    I took Makarova +6,5 and she was up 40-15 in both games but did not manage to break any of them . Lost my bet by 1 game handicapping

Jerimjob

Quote Originally Posted by Demetrius4UK View Post
    I took Makarova +6,5 and she was up 40-15 in both games but did not manage to break any of them . Lost my bet by 1 game handicapping
    I hear ya... Was frustrating to watch. She had her chances but Makarova wasn't clutch, and Sharapova was