kdawgy
    kdawgy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 402

Stats and Analysis sites?

Now that basketball season is winding down I'm trying to get back to capping tennis pretty seriously.

Wondering what the options are out there for stats sites.

I use matchstats.com for the basic head to head comparisons.

But what else do you guys use for help on stats?

And what about injury updates? Any reliable sources for those?

Geoff_Saari
    Geoff_Saari's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1868

I like this site : http://www.stevegtennis.com/category...t-tennis-news/

nice previews with good info

and yeah matchstat.com for H2H

SirtySree
    SirtySree's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 169

tried a bunch and tennislive is by far my fav. use to be matchstat bt thats nothing compared to tennislive

steveg is similar bt harder to navigate and not as pleasing to look at as it's over complicated a bit compared to tennislive

kdawgy

Thanks guys. I like that steveg has what appear to be more editorial/expert content.

Haven't gotten to look around tennislive yet.

pazim
    Update your status
    pazim's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 443

Is there a site that shows unforced errors and winners. Only place I have seen them is on tv after the match is over.

aussiebet
    aussiebet's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 174

Quote Originally Posted by kdawgy View Post
    Thanks guys. I like that steveg has what appear to be more editorial/expert content.

Haven't gotten to look around tennislive yet.

Yeah I have alook at what he says then have alook at rankings . Then players head to head vs court surface vs form .

frugalgambler
    frugalgambler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6810

No offense but "steveg" is a mental midget. I find he does more damage than good with his "writeups". You get better insight if you start a thread here.

aussiebet

Quote Originally Posted by frugalgambler View Post
    No offense but "steveg" is a mental midget. I find he does more damage than good with his "writeups". You get better insight if you start a thread here.
    I agree . But I think cause he covers every match up everyone loves it. You basically can google whoever is playing and get about 10-15 articles and then make your own judgement from there.

frugalgambler

ATP/WTA should have the UE/Winners stats for each, the problem is that you have to go match by match and even then those stats are not that useful.

What I find is missing is a searchable database to see any trends, not just H2H or record for a single player. Such DBs exist for e.g. NBA. Anyway, I go by matchstat, I do not see anything better out there.

frugalgambler

Just another observation, unless you have been following tennis seriously, week in and week out for at least a few months, the chances that you will end up with a winning record are slim to none. Even if you are a true tennis fan, it is very difficult to beat the bookies: the lines are sharp; this is after all the 2nd highest volume sport in terms of betting. You might get lucky at first but in the long run, it is very very difficult.

aussiebet

Just another observation, unless you have been following tennis seriously, week in and week out for at least a few months, the chances that you will end up with a winning record are slim to none. Even if you are a true tennis fan, it is very difficult to beat the bookies: the lines are sharp; this is after all the 2nd highest volume sport in terms of betting. You might get lucky at first but in the long run, it is very very difficult.
    Totally agree the bookies lines are sharp but there are some edges they leave out and you just have to be cleaver to get on them. I started my bankroll 3-3 last night . 1 was a sure thing in Wararinka -6. But my other two were based on certain reasons but got up. Tennis is very hard as players tank sets and injuries you dont even read about .

frugalgambler

Sure there are some "weak" lines occasionally, but you gotta be smart to find those. Let's just say I have seen a lot more punters who have been pretty successful at NBA/NCAABB than I saw at tennis.

As for injuries, yeah those are hard to track and predict. Some folks try to follow players' twitter and facebook. By the way, this is the last big tourney before RG. Will there be tanking already in Rome or will it happen the week before RG ?
    Last edited by frugalgambler; 05-14-14 at 02:13 AM.

aussiebet

Sure there are some "weak" lines occasionally, but you gotta be smart to find those. Let's just say I have seen a lot more punters who have been pretty successful at NBA/NCAABB than I saw at tennis.
    Oh yeah you cant make a living out of tennis betting the variables are way to hard. Even so the NBA is hard. Do you have any tips for tonight yet ? Im in Australia its night here haha

frugalgambler

Nah, not really seeing much out there. I have a few small plays but nothing to write about. I am not that good anyway, HC is the best capper around these parts right now.

frugalgambler

The whole concept of making a living on gambling is a myth, but for a few chosen ones and those dudes do not hang out around fora like SBR.

aussiebet

The whole concept of making a living on gambling is a myth, but for a few chosen ones and those dudes do not hang out around fora like SBR.
    Yeah I know what you mean but you got to start somewhere . If you know what to bet on and where and when to bet on with abit of luck you can make money.

frugalgambler

Making money and making a living out of it are two completely different concepts.

aussiebet

Making money and making a living out of it are two completely different concepts.
    Very true. But as in a living you could have a bankroll of $1000 and maybe pulling out $300 on a steady week that can be a living for someone ? You know what I mean. But if you build a bankroll from say $50 to $1000 you know your pretty good and should quiet your day job hahaha

Cessation
    Cessation's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 762

this is after all the 2nd highest volume sport in terms of betting.
    Really? Soccer would be a clear #1 but didn't think tennis would be #2. The sheer amount of games to wager on helps knock up the overall volume I guess but would have thought NBA (huge American market but also popular in Europe and Asia) and Cricket (the illegal gambling market in India and Pakistan is enormous and they are two of the top 5 or so countries in the world by population).

frugalgambler

Quote Originally Posted by Cessation View Post
    Really? Soccer would be a clear #1 but didn't think tennis would be #2. The sheer amount of games to wager on helps knock up the overall volume I guess but would have thought NBA (huge American market but also popular in Europe and Asia) and Cricket (the illegal gambling market in India and Pakistan is enormous and they are two of the top 5 or so countries in the world by population).
    This is what the bookies claim. I was pretty surprised too. You should remember that since gambling is illegal in >95% of USA, the North American sportbetting market is peanuts compared to Europe and Asia.

kdawgy

Wow, happy this thread got so much interest.

I will disagree with one thing though, while the top tier matches are all capped pretty well, I do believe that especially in the more obscure matchups (say a number 50 against a number 100) there are definitely angles to work if you do your homework.

Also, the line can really tell you a lot. I think you'd be +EV long term if you simply bet the ML for the favorite on any match where the player which is not ranked as high is favored. It's a pretty clear sign and seems to hit a lot.

aussiebet

Wow, happy this thread got so much interest.

I will disagree with one thing though, while the top tier matches are all capped pretty well, I do believe that especially in the more obscure matchups (say a number 50 against a number 100) there are definitely angles to work if you do your homework.

Also, the line can really tell you a lot. I think you'd be +EV long term if you simply bet the ML for the favorite on any match where the player which is not ranked as high is favored. It's a pretty clear sign and seems to hit a lot.
    I totally Disagree. Just betting on the favorite. So many variables. Like Joe blow who just puts a $10 dollar Parlay on cause he knows the names of the players compared to someone who knows facts like injuries , surfaces, if there in form, if they tank, service strokes. I simply bet against a player yesterday cause I know she flops and I went the 3.5+ on the other and the other player actually just won outright. Good luck on your tips though just think its odd.

frugalgambler

Yeah, but no, I do no think so. You have to quantify first what you mean by "bet the ML for the favorite on any match where the player which is not ranked as high is favored." For statements like that or for researching any other trends a comprehensive DB would be priceless. My guess is that such DBs exist, but they are just not available to public. Matchstat has all the needed data, it is just not searchable over many matches and players.

kdawgy

Player A is ranked 51st in the ATP Rankings, Player 2 is ranked 78th in the ATP rankings, yet player 2 is the slight favorite at -135.

I believe, public perception is that player 1 is a "value play" at positive money, but in reality I believe it is profitable long term to look for these matchups and bet on player 2, which should probably be more of a favorite due to the specifics of the matchup.

HeeeHAWWWW
    HeeeHAWWWW's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 578

I'll run a backtest on that tomorrow. It won't work :-)

kdawgy

Quote Originally Posted by HeeeHAWWWW View Post
    I'll run a backtest on that tomorrow. It won't work :-)
    How would you go about doing that? What site/database has searchable statistics like that?

I'd love to see the results.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

good stuff

I like that preview site