EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

Djokovic Hires Becker, Federer May Hire Edberg

Throwin' it back to the 80s! Interesting pairings. The Djokovic move seemed to come out of nowhere. Federer's work with Edberg is seen as a potential precursor to hiring him as a coach. Some good points about Djokovic/Becker being a potential volatile relationship because both are Alpha personalities. Fed/Edberg seems like a good pairing too. Only a few weeks till the season reboots!

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/tennis/25429597

http://tennis.si.com/2013/12/17/dail...stefan-edberg/

DiCaprioHD1995
    DiCaprioHD1995's Avatar Become A Pro!

Good Thread Sir ,

you always post sharp informative posts

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9255

Someone call McEnroe to coach Del Potro

ClutchOnandWin
    ClutchOnandWin's Avatar Become A Pro!

HA!

Yeah, that would be smart, hiring eddberg, a serve and volley player in a modern-day game with different strings and muddier court surfaces.

Unless it's pyshological coaching, pointless.

Djokovic needs help with volleying and knowing "when" to "close off the net". The issue Novak had with Rafa at the french was he didn't close off the net for the elementary clubstandard volley whenever Rafa was stranded out of court from having tracked down a good shot Novak hit. Allowed Rafa to neutralise the point and rest proceedings.

The Federer Eddberg shit doesn't make technical sense. It's too late for Roger to be working on building others sectors to his game, he just needs confidence, better fitness and a way to get himself away from playing somany backhands, especially against Rafa.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: TitsArriba

ClutchOnandWin
    ClutchOnandWin's Avatar Become A Pro!

Perhaps it's that "tactical" help.

EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

Coaching in tennis is mostly tactical once players reach a certain age. Players in their teens and early 20s might be getting a benefit of adding a slice to their backhand, etc. - but guys at this level like Djokovic and Federer are looking for perspective that a different "voice" can offer. Andy Murray to me is the perfect example. Lendl didn't change anything really in Murray's game, but tactically he lent his expertise to being more aggressive at the right times, etc ... and perhaps the biggest part of coaching - mentality. That goes with the different "voice." That's why the Becker-Djokovic pairing is interesting.

As for the Edberg pairing, this story I read gave some insight:

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2...derer-if-asked

"The idea of the camp was that I would give my views and come up with some feedback. He wants to try some new things," said the serve-and-volley king.

Edberg added that he advised the 32-year-old Swiss to play a more attacking game in hope of avoiding long rallies with elite baseliners Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic.
    It's not really anything new, but hearing it from the guy who was your idol is very different than even hearing it from your wife. Again the "voice" sometimes just clicks with a player and Edberg might be that voice for Fed. I don't really think his fitness is poor. I think that was mentioned above. Federer has always been a fit player outside of his back issues. It's pretty much age at this point. He's not going to beat guys like Nadal and Djokovic too often if ever in a five set match without engaging in the tactics that are being mentioned as far as playing aggressive, shorter points.

I think Federer needed to find something to energize his 2014 season and this looks like it. If he needed an infusion of energy and excitement, having someone he idolized should really push him to be open to new things. I also read he was still experimenting with the bigger racket head which i think we all knew was going to be a must for him.

sluggy1616
    Update your status
    sluggy1616's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4880

Boris: "Novak, you can't be afraid to get your knees bloody!!! Chicks dig scabs."

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Lets be honest it does not matter who coaches Joker

He is best player in world no matter what rankings say

Its more for support and maybe some tips..Joker is an animal period

Fed needs someone now, no idea about this hire though

Edberg is quiet kind of similar personality

Hardcoar
    Curious Nick and Tenacious Kokk
    Hardcoar's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4615

Quote Originally Posted by Optional View Post
    Someone call McEnroe to coach Del Potro

Now that, would be... the f*cking ti7z!
    Last edited by Hardcoar; 12-28-13 at 04:43 AM.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

McEnroe ..he would not be that effective as a coach

Lost the edge meaning day to day grind. He likes his free time

Great analyst