yisman
    yisman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 246162

About it being served on a golden platter for Federer:

I disagree. Yes, he doesn't have to face Nadal, but he had to beat Djokovic. It's actually really set up for Murray. This is the best chance he's had. He gets to avoid Nadal and Djokovic! Not that beating Federer the way he's playing is very likely, but this is as good as Murray could hope for, seeing as his path to the Wimbledon title would've had to go through both the #1 and the #2.

a men's GS final without either of the top two seeds. It's been some time since that happened...

Thurgood
    Thurgood's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 274

I hope nobody is on Murray! Home court semis 3 times and crumbled. Tsonga beat Federer!!!

t-wizzle
    t-wizzle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2191

Great call Goat.

Happy you nailed it and even happier Feds buried him.

yisman

Quote Originally Posted by Thurgood View Post
    I hope nobody is on Murray! Home court semis 3 times and crumbled. Tsonga beat Federer!!!
    Andy Murray is Scottish! At least he will be if he loses in the Wimbledon semis for the fourth straight year.

yisman

good call, Goat.

Thurgood

Murray is like Roddick for Americans - overrated and everyone thinks they're better than they really are

yisman

Murray actually has a better record at Wimbledon than at any of the other majors. He hasn't made the finals, but very consistent otherwise. I think he has an 82.8% winning percentage in Wimbledon matches.

Thurgood

Haha Murray is more popular than Madonna in Wimbledon right now

Sport_Fish
    Sport_Fish's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2039

Quote Originally Posted by yisman View Post
    About it being served on a golden platter for Federer:

I disagree. Yes, he doesn't have to face Nadal, but he had to beat Djokovic. It's actually really set up for Murray. This is the best chance he's had. He gets to avoid Nadal and Djokovic! Not that beating Federer the way he's playing is very likely, but this is as good as Murray could hope for, seeing as his path to the Wimbledon title would've had to go through both the #1 and the #2.

a men's GS final without either of the top two seeds. It's been some time since that happened...
    Well sure its a dream scenario for Murray, but its just as good of a scenario for Federer. If Fed didn't have to face Djoker in the semi's, it would've been easier for him to make finals, but the fact he did, and beat the shit out of him, is good for him because he has stepped up his game to another level...if he can carry even some of this momentum into the finals, its over.

I think Nadal out of the picture is exciting for both players, but more so for Federer i think. More intense rivalry and Federer couldn't beat Nadal in a grand slam these days to save his life. I could be wrong but i do think this may have atleast something to do with how Fed played today. You could tell he could taste the trophy and was determined to get this match done, and knowing that Nadal was out, he had absolutely no mental pressure of thinking ahead to playing him.

paco
    paco's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7051

What will Federer be favored in finals ya think?

iceminers26
    iceminers26's Avatar Become A Pro!

Murray is like Roddick for Americans - overrated and everyone thinks they're better than they really are
    agree but I have to take him in this spot, maybe the only time ever I have backed him... can't stand him really.

yisman

Quote Originally Posted by Sport_Fish View Post
    Well sure its a dream scenario for Murray, but its just as good of a scenario for Federer. If Fed didn't have to face Djoker in the semi's, it would've been easier for him to make finals, but the fact he did, and beat the shit out of him, is good for him because he has stepped up his game to another level...if he can carry even some of this momentum into the finals, its over.
    I just don't see how you could say it's being served up on a silver platter for someone when they had to beat the best in the world.

The finals shouldn't be tough, but what's the difference between this and him having to beat Djokovic in the finals if Wimbledon were set up correctly? Either way he has to beat Mr. Incredible.

EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

Murray in his prime is a better overall player than Roddick ever was. Murray really gets a raw deal because of the overwhelming success of Nadal and Federer along with some of Djokovic's recent success ... Murray has made the semis of seven of the last nine Slams. Roddick never sniffed that sort of consistency on all surfaces.

Murray is a solid player. The only thing Roddick has that he doesn't is the one Slam Championship obvously. Roddick has the misfortune of being about the same age as one of the greatest players in Federer, therefore being shut out from being a factor in winning a Slam - but consider Murray is dealing with three of the greatest potentially all in their primes at the same time.

yisman

More intense rivalry and Federer couldn't beat Nadal in a grand slam these days to save his life.
    I don't buy it. I think Federer could beat Nadal the way he's playing. Federer hasn't played Nadal much in Grand Slams recently. He did lose to him in the AO, but that was after he took the first set. Before that was RG, which is irrelevant as far as I'm concerned. Before that, you have to go back to 2009.

Goat Milk
    Goat Milk's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10176

thanks guys. EP you are right but don't forget how good Roddick used to be on the grass. He was the only guy that could hang with Federer for awhile on this surface and has more Slam finals appearances than Murray I think.

Paco,

If Murray wins I'd say Federer -240ish. If Tsonga wins Federer -350 minimum.

yisman

Quote Originally Posted by Goat Milk View Post
    thanks guys. EP you are right but don't forget how good Roddick used to be on the grass. He was the only guy that could hang with Federer for awhile on this surface and has more Slam finals appearances than Murray I think.

Paco,

If Murray wins I'd say Federer -240ish. If Tsonga wins Federer -350 minimum.
    that differential is too big, when you consider Tsonga's win over Federer.

If Tsonga wins, I don't think Federer would be over -300.

EaglesPhan36

Roddick only has one more finals appearance. Murray will pass that in the next year or two at worst, maybe today as far as tying it.

Considering Murray's succes @ Wimbledon + Queens Club, he's probably one of the best grass court players out there. Just because he doesn't have the big prize, people dismiss him.
    Last edited by EaglesPhan36; 07-06-12 at 10:11 AM.

paco
    paco's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7051

Tsonga broken already lol

yisman

Quote Originally Posted by EaglesPhan36 View Post
    Roddick only has one more finals appearance. Murray will pass that in the next year or two at worst, maybe today as far as tying it.
    No question. It's still early in Murray's career. I'd wager a lot of money on Murray -.5 career finals over Roddick.

Considering Murray's succes @ Wimbledon + Queens Club, he's probably one of the best grass court players out there. Just because he doesn't have the big prize, people dismiss him.
    He's great on grass, no doubt.

yisman

Matchstat has Murray at 39-7 on grass.

Goat Milk
    Goat Milk's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10176

Quote Originally Posted by yisman View Post
    Matchstat has Murray at 39-7 on grass.
    Only 46 matches on grass for his career? That can't be right.

yisman

yeah it's way too low but that's because of how matchstat does it. They don't include all the tournaments.

yisman

ok, here's a better number (more inclusive):

54-13 on grass. That's 80.59%.

Thurgood

I'm oddly not worried about Tsonga yet. Murray is primed to choke with all the pressure. Once Tsonga finds those trick shots, bye bye Murray.

EaglesPhan36

Tsonga is toast. You should be worried.

yisman

I'm oddly not worried about Tsonga yet. Murray is primed to choke with all the pressure. Once Tsonga finds those trick shots, bye bye Murray.
    you should unload your savings on Tsonga, then. Can't complain about the price.

Fri 7/6 151 Andy Murray -1610
    8:00AM 152 Jo-Wilfried Tsonga +1055

ParlayininHTown
    Countdown to death: 1 day
    ParlayininHTown's Avatar Become A Pro!

Slept too late and missed betting on either match. Now Murray is in such good position that a live bet would seem pointless (too much juice on Murray or a likely losing bet on Tsonga)

At least I'll make some money at work this evening ... smh at having to actually work for my money

showtiime
    Update your status
    showtiime's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5853

CanuckG
    CanuckG's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 584

Glad Federer won gut feeling it'd be close really want to see him win this.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Fed should be like -160 over Murray

yisman

-240 would be a better approximation.

Thurgood

This Tsonga/Murray match is bad tennis. Tsonga, please stop running at the net after the volley. PLEASE.

Thurgood

Federer will destroy either of these yo-yo's.

First ... 5678