gators0708
    gators0708's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14372

gators0708 6-27 picks

I never make a thread about my picks,but have a good feeling about some dogs tomorrow!

Ivo Karlovic +1000- Always dangerous to play against, top players never want to see his name in the draw. With the pressure that Murray is always under to win his home slam this is a great shot at an upset from Ivo who is comfortable on the grass, hard to pass up on him with those odds!

Jesse Levine +140- The American made the 3rd round here in 09 and likes has a game well suited for grass. Playing against a 21 yr old who just had a huge win over Tomic and has been playing great as of late, but this is a great opportunity for the scrapper Levine to get into the 3rd round once again with a very winnable match.

Any thoughts??

EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

Karlovic gives Murray the 1st of his warm up acts for more big servers in this quarter. While he is comfortable on the surface, he has been pretty terrible this season - only recently seemingly finding his serve. Murray has seen plenty of one trick ponies on this surface and held up pretty well. I could see maybe trying the handicap, but you're getting shorted because of Ivo's rep as he is just +6 while Phau at the same +1000 against Roddick offers +7.5.

I like Levine, but there's a reason he's never really risen above being a Challenger type w/occassional ATP streaks ... inconsistent serving. When it's on, he is tough on these quicker surfaces ... but when it goes south, he's done quick. I think Goffin's win over Tomic was fairly impressive. Maybe Tomic was mentally out to lunch because of off-court issues, but Goffin was down a set before he took over the match and looked comfortable. Goffin is still a tough read to me. His game seems to translate to all surfaces, but he's still pretty green as far as experience at this level. I like the over in this match as I do expect a pretty good battle for 4-5 sets.

gators0708

Quote Originally Posted by EaglesPhan36 View Post
    Karlovic gives Murray the 1st of his warm up acts for more big servers in this quarter. While he is comfortable on the surface, he has been pretty terrible this season - only recently seemingly finding his serve. Murray has seen plenty of one trick ponies on this surface and held up pretty well. I could see maybe trying the handicap, but you're getting shorted because of Ivo's rep as he is just +6 while Phau at the same +1000 against Roddick offers +7.5.

I like Levine, but there's a reason he's never really risen above being a Challenger type w/occassional ATP streaks ... inconsistent serving. When it's on, he is tough on these quicker surfaces ... but when it goes south, he's done quick. I think Goffin's win over Tomic was fairly impressive. Maybe Tomic was mentally out to lunch because of off-court issues, but Goffin was down a set before he took over the match and looked comfortable. Goffin is still a tough read to me. His game seems to translate to all surfaces, but he's still pretty green as far as experience at this level. I like the over in this match as I do expect a pretty good battle for 4-5 sets.
    Yeah, true about Karlovic he's had his struggles this season, and has battled some injuries as well. EP looking at the forecast it shows rain u think with the roof probably being closed that will favor Karlovic??

EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

Well let's hope #1 that they are smart enough to close it. They really should start the day with it closed because of the forecast. Then we don't have to hear about how they need to test the conditions or spend time closing it. From everything I have read about the roof being closed @ Centre Court is that it slows the pace of the ball because of the humidity built up inside from the conditions even though there is air being pumped in. Ivan Ljubicic had a good interview a couple years ago about it, saying it causes the ball to absorb some of the moisture and play heavier to bounce pretty much right into the hitting zone at a slower pace. If all of that is true, it helps Murray big time and might hinder Ivo from being overly dominant on serve.

gators0708

Quote Originally Posted by EaglesPhan36 View Post
    Well let's hope #1 that they are smart enough to close it. They really should start the day with it closed because of the forecast. Then we don't have to hear about how they need to test the conditions or spend time closing it. From everything I have read about the roof being closed @ Centre Court is that it slows the pace of the ball because of the humidity built up inside from the conditions even though there is air being pumped in. Ivan Ljubicic had a good interview a couple years ago about it, saying it causes the ball to absorb some of the moisture and play heavier to bounce pretty much right into the hitting zone at a slower pace. If all of that is true, it helps Murray big time and might hinder Ivo from being overly dominant on serve.
    Ohh ok hoping for no rain then, but its London of course it will rain. I think they're going to be so backed up after tomorrow they will play on Middle Sunday.