Bcatswin
    Bcats Winning Everywhere
    Bcatswin's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5350

Venus Williams withdrawing from the Australian Open, does this surprise you shari?

Wil she every play again and if she does will she be relevant?

shari91
    shari91's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1689

Nah, I don't think she'll play anymore. Maybe a few small tourneys but probably not. And no it's not surprising.

However as much as most of us (myself included) like taking the piss out of her, it's a sad day.

She's not as relevant any more but she's always a threat... when her sister is gone as well, you may as well shutter the WTA for awhile. Not going to be good for the game.

Bcatswin
    Bcats Winning Everywhere

Thanks for the input shari, i did just get this from her site.

I regret to announce that I am withdrawing from the 2012 Australian Open. After several months of training and treatment, I am making steady progress to top competitive form. My diet and fitness regimen have allowed me to make great strides in terms of my health and I am very close to being ready to return to WTA competition. I have every intention to return to the circuit in February.

will2survive
    STAY IN YO LANE!
    will2survive's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22

Players peak at very young ages in tennis. Injuries always come into play but I think that the Williams sisters should've won more grand slams. They're well rounded women and have other things going on in life. People love to say Richard Williams "tough love" method of teaching is wrong. I think that other parents who are teachers-coaches of their child-pro athlete should take lessons from Williams. He didn't look for the spotlight, was a little rough, but did a damn good job. "Teaching 101"

shari91

Yeah Feb is shithouse tourneys. She's done.

I really really really hope she proves me wrong... but I don't think she'll ever play another major again. Maybe doubles with Serena? Never alone. She's cooked and ready to move on.

betplom
    maniac
    betplom's Avatar Become A Pro!

Who here finds either of the Williams sisters attractive?

Anyone?

will2survive
    STAY IN YO LANE!
    will2survive's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22

Serena is attractive---why ask that?

shari91

Quote Originally Posted by will2survive View Post
    Players peak at very young ages in tennis. Injuries always come into play but I think that the Williams sisters should've won more grand slams. They're well rounded women and have other things going on in life. People love to say Richard Williams "tough love" method of teaching is wrong. I think that other parents who are teachers-coaches of their child-pro athlete should take lessons from Williams. He didn't look for the spotlight, was a little rough, but did a damn good job. "Teaching 101"
    Richard was great but I said this in a thread about Serena last week: These girls have been professionals for almost 20yrs. Since they were 11 -13yo. Not going through a high school and college system like US pro athletes. Pros all the way through - supporting their families. They were also home schooled. And stuck in tennis school from the age of 6-9 depending on the sister. Their father had a good game plan but didn't figure in human will and the desire to be normal. They have more money than anyone their age could dream of, can indulge any of their interests, etc... Would you want to keep butchering your body, go live Groundhog Day ie Melb, France, London, NY every year? Or just go finally live???

I'm actually surprised they both didn't quit awhile ago. Should've left on top. Serena still can... Venus is so wounded now but she'll still go out as a champ.

Bcatswin
    Bcats Winning Everywhere

Last edited by Bcatswin; 01-09-12 at 03:17 PM.

Bcatswin
    Bcats Winning Everywhere

Good input thanks peeps.

I agree shari should have already been done.

shari91

Quote Originally Posted by Bcatswin View Post
    Good input thanks peeps.

I agree shari should have already been done.
    Yeah I mean these aren't my favourite players betting wise except when I was fading Venus for a bit there...

But for the sport of women's tennis? They were remarkable. At the end of the day though many of us are the same age or around it of these girls... what would we do? Keep going? F yourself up so much more to prove what? And probably lose while you're at it.

They made tennis popular amongst many... just like Tiger did with golf - and it wasn't 100% because of a race thing. It was because they killed it and that made it exciting. So... she'll be gone, Serena will soon follow suit and then what are we left with? Seriously? Not one personality who anyone gives a s about. Not good.

betplom
    maniac
    betplom's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by will2survive View Post
    Serena is attractive---why ask that?
    Just curious. I don't find either of them attractive.

Plommer is not into the darkies.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

They are decent looking

Serena still seems to have a little more hunger

EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by shari91 View Post
    She's not as relevant any more but she's always a threat... when her sister is gone as well, you may as well shutter the WTA for awhile. Not going to be good for the game.
    But it does offer up some fantastic plays in futures on Slams with about 20 players capable of winning.

Bcatswin
    Bcats Winning Everywhere

Yeah I mean these aren't my favourite players betting wise except when I was fading Venus for a bit there...

But for the sport of women's tennis? They were remarkable. At the end of the day though many of us are the same age or around it of these girls... what would we do? Keep going? F yourself up so much more to prove what? And probably lose while you're at it.

They made tennis popular amongst many... just like Tiger did with golf - and it wasn't 100% because of a race thing. It was because they killed it and that made it exciting. So... she'll be gone, Serena will soon follow suit and then what are we left with? Seriously? Not one personality who anyone gives a s about. Not good.

I don't find them attractive at all. Different strokes for different folks.

ttwarrior1
    ttwarrior1's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9800

she'll play wimbledon

revnecro1273
    revnecro1273's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13172

Nah, I don't think she'll play anymore. Maybe a few small tourneys but probably not. And no it's not surprising.

However as much as most of us (myself included) like taking the piss out of her, it's a sad day.

you think she will play a few small tournaments? she rarely played small tournaments when she was healthy

revnecro1273
    revnecro1273's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13172

it will be for those in usa...won't have to listen to the futz licking from the usa based commentators

shari91

Quote Originally Posted by revnecro1273 View Post

you think she will play a few small tournaments? she rarely played small tournaments when she was healthy
    My guess would be Acapulco if she's planning on returning in February - she won it in '09 and '10 - and that's as small as you can get. Bloody Dulko won it last year

Just a guess though obviously, but I can't see her wanting to potentially get smoked on a big stage if she's just coming back. I was reading earlier that since the '10 US Open, she's only played 11 matches, one of which she retired in against Petko. That's a crazy low number.

shari91

Quote Originally Posted by revnecro1273 View Post
    it will be for those in usa...won't have to listen to the futz licking from the usa based commentators
    haha true! But at least those girls are somewhat worthy of it. Down here we get the Stosur and Tomic fanboi commentating. One's a bottler and the other hasn't won a thing. So hard to watch matches with Aussie commentators.

edawg
    edawg's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4931

Quote Originally Posted by betplom View Post
    Who here finds either of the Williams sisters attractive?

Anyone?
    Give me Serena all day every day!