demens
    Square -910
    demens's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1258

Will a book cash a season long prop if its 100% now

For example lets say team win over 20 and that team has more then 20 by all-star break. Will they cash it for you or make you wait till the end of the year?

Or a player average, lets say a player has enough total points for 82 games to average over 10 half way through the season and that was his prop. Cash now?

sharpcat
    sharpcat's Avatar Become A Pro!

Nope!

demens
    Square -910

Really? Why? Its 100% nothing can happen to stop it so whats the point? Wouldn't they want to give you the money so you can lose it again.

MrMiami
    MrMiami's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 27478

Nope, they keep it locked up cause the odds are you will keep losing your other money, reload more cause you have this pending bet, etc, etc. Brilliant on their part, sucks for the player.

LLXC
    LLXC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10451

Also I think they have rules where x amount of games have to be played.

sportsbetwin
    sportsbetwin's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by demens View Post
    Really? Why? Its 100% nothing can happen to stop it so whats the point? Wouldn't they want to give you the money so you can lose it again.
    Teams can get disqualified.

In 2002 in Australia the NRL team coming first near the end of the season (Bulldogs) lost all their points (wins) and were moved from first to last on the table.

Last year the same thing happened to Melbourne. Actually much worse. They lost all their points (wins), were relegated to last, were guaranteed to stay last (wins didn't count) and
    they were stripped of their Premiership wins in 2007 and 2009.

To put that in perspective it is like stripping New Orleans of last years Superbowl (except twice!).

So - Aussie bookies don't generally pay early for that reason.

Hareeba!
    Hareeba!'s Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 20549

most won't but there are exceptions on certain bets
    I've had Betfair pay out before completion when the result has been determined and I think one or two others have also.

And then of course there's Paddy Power and Sportsbet.com.au who make headlines quite regularly by paying out very early, well before a result is determined (and in one case at least on a horse before the race was run!)
    And of course they've then had to pay the eventual winner when the supposed cert. didn't win

Stacocakes
    Stacocakes's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 538

Could always try emailing them to get them to grade the bet but they probably won't. It's a pain in the ass when a book ties up your money like this.

the_situation
    the_situation's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6309

depends on the book, i had some NFL win totals graded and paid right away

HedgeHog
    HedgeHog's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 17093

Most grade at the end of the season as there is often a clause that the team has to play so many games. It's a fair rule and when you made the bet you expected it to last the full season--right?

demens
    Square -910

Well, bodog wasn't having any of it. The requirements were for a player to play over 20 games. But since its "Season average" they said they are unable to cash it. Its completely bs but whatever. I hope i got one of those assholes in a tiny bit of trouble at least. The 1st reply i got said wagers will be cashed 30 min after the game which had absolute zero shit to do with the question i sent. At least i got an apology for the shitty customer service.

wtt0315
    This is the Broncos Year.
    wtt0315's Avatar Become A Pro!

because for say if a lockout occurs with one game left in season and they cancel the playoffs they problably will refund your bet

horsiehung
    horsiehung's Avatar Become A Pro!

bad service from bodog????????????
    why am i so unsurprised??????

demens
    Square -910

Quote Originally Posted by wtt0315 View Post
    because for say if a lockout occurs with one game left in season and they cancel the playoffs they problably will refund your bet
    Why is that. The player (DJ Augistine) will still have a "SEASON AVERAGE" of over 3.0 assists and played over 20 games. This bet will cash 100% no matter what happens. They are just being assholes.

kmarinouofm
    Those who stay.. will be Champions!
    kmarinouofm's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3463

Quote Originally Posted by sportsbetwin View Post

Teams can get disqualified.

In 2002 in Australia the NRL team coming first near the end of the season (Bulldogs) lost all their points (wins) and were moved from first to last on the table.

Last year the same thing happened to Melbourne. Actually much worse. They lost all their points (wins), were relegated to last, were guaranteed to stay last (wins didn't count) and
    they were stripped of their Premiership wins in 2007 and 2009.

To put that in perspective it is like stripping New Orleans of last years Superbowl (except twice!).

So - Aussie bookies don't generally pay early for that reason.
    what the hell did they do ?

wtt0315
    This is the Broncos Year.
    wtt0315's Avatar Become A Pro!

because they will say season is canceled. i am just guessing tht is what they would do.. i am curious when baseball had the strike what happen with prop bets

sportsbetwin
    sportsbetwin's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by kmarinouofm View Post
    what the hell did they do ?

The NRL has a salary cap to even out the competition.

Basically you need to spend less than x million on your rotation.

Melbourne rorted the system - ran 2 sets of books - and exceeded the cap by a huge amount.

Effectively it allowed then to have 2-3 star players more than any other team. They dominated the competiton for 4 years - "winning twice" and losing the 2 other grand finals.

This was all revealed about 6 rounds into last years season - they got all their Premierships and minor premierships stripped - never happened. They lost all their points to date in 2010 - they had to play the rest of the season but had to stay last on the table regardless of wins.

Then there was dramas about it being leaked and ppl backing them to win the wooden spoon (come last) when they were at odds of about 100-1.

Probably the biggest scandal ever in Australian sport.

Peeig
    Underbetting my roll
    Peeig's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1213

OP, you aren't be wronged, this is pretty standard

demens
    Square -910

Yeah, i get it. I just didn't think it'll be a big deal. The bet is not even that big. Exceptions can be made, i dont think this should have been an issue.

BranchDavidian
    BranchDavidian's Avatar Become A Pro!

It isn't an issue as far as the book is concerned. It shouldn't be an issue for you. The book needs to protect itself from any of the myriad of possible problems that could develop as pointed out by several posters. I would imagine that the book, besides doing the right thing by waiting for the "game" to end, enjoys the benefits of having this "extra money" in their bank account!

suman
    suman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 738

Don't think they will cash it yet

suman
    suman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 738

Don't think they will cash it yet

KGambler
    KGambler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 66

Remember, when Sep 11 happened they cancelled all MLB games for a few days. It's not 100% impossible that something unforeseen could happen and cancel even the most stable of leagues.

Some books do pay out early though. I think they prefer the customer has the money back in action.

me-first
    me-first's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 66

A few books might grade it if you ask but most wont even consider it..

skrtelfan
    skrtelfan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3337

Who knows the player could get caught having fixed games and the NBA could remove all his stats from the records, voiding your bet. Anything can happen so that's why the books wait. It's in the rules and the smart thing to do. Not to mention, it's really a waste of the book's time to have to manually grade a $50 prop (or whatever Bodog's prop limits are, mine are $50) because someone points out that the player is over the average. I'd be pissed if I wasn't able to get service as quickly because some clerk was busy verifying the outcome of a random $50 prop on NBA.com.

horsiehung
    horsiehung's Avatar Become A Pro!

I seem to recall a few years ago certain vegas books will do it as a favor for some players with a good relationship with them. The downside is really very small, as the chance of what people wrote in this thread are so highly unlikely

demens
    Square -910

Quote Originally Posted by horsiehung View Post
    I seem to recall a few years ago certain vegas books will do it as a favor for some players with a good relationship with them. The downside is really very small, as the chance of what people wrote in this thread are so highly unlikely
    Yeah, the excuses are down right ridiculous. Its a season bet and the book simply doesnt want to be bothered looking into it now. Talking about possible lock outs, canceled seasons or players getting disqualified and having their stats revoked is absolute nonsense.